• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Scope Suggestions - Weaver, Vortex, Nikon?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Guys and Gals,

I need a new hunting scope now that I have retired my older Vortex to a .22 trainer. I'm putting this on a .308 hunting bolt for hunting. I'm trying to go light and small with this.

I checked out LL's review of the Weaver Grand Slam 3-9. I'm diggin' the idea of getting a Mil/Mil scope for under $300. Out of all the scopes I'm looking at, this is probably number one to get me testing out Mil adjustments.

I'm also looking at a Vortex Viper 3-9 that has 92MOA adj with high light transmission. Not that I would need that much adjustment range for hunting, but I might want to take out to the lease for some long range shooting.

I also like the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9. I'm a photographer and love their lenses. Solid company. Solid lenses.

Are there other scopes I should check out? Has anybody had any problems with the Weavers? How is their warranty?

Re: Hunting Scope Suggestions - Weaver, Vortex, Nikon?

I went with the super sniper 3x9 for my Tikka .270. At first I was worried the 30mm tube and weight would kill the balance but that was unfounded. Rifle still handles great and 19oz does not seem to be a big penalty for what Im getting out of it. Tracking has been beautiful and the dot target was shot as a return to zero test, at least 6mils in each direction between shots. (bottom left was bore sight shot after mounting)

e45e34bf.jpg

fe26ca36.jpg

I would definitely like the SS. No doubt. I'm trying to keep this scope under $400 though.
frown.gif
I think the Zeiss Conquest is in my price range too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely like the SS. No doubt. I'm trying to keep this scope under $400 though.
frown.gif
I think the Zeiss Conquest is in my price range too. </div></div>

Not sure if you are looking for turret adjustments and all, but the simple Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 at $399 has got to be the best value in scopes I've ever purchased for hunting. Highly recommended.

I personally am not a big fan of exposed turrets on Hunting rifles. If you ride an ATV to your tree stand they will work fine, but if you spend a lot of time hiking with a rifle slung over your shoulder a covered turret from Nikon, sightron et al. will keep your zero from getting bumped (I have had it happen), and for a long shot unscrewing a turret cap only takes a few seconds.

The exposed turrets isn't a selling point for me. They are nice to have options...but not a necessity.

Check out libertyoptics.com They have Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 mildot for $259 shipped. I've used Nikons on my last 6 rifles and have no problems. Can beat them for the price and full lifetime warranty. The Monarchs are better in low lite but they cost more. I prefer the Buckmarks for where I hunt. I can probably only get a 150 yd shot max. So for me it's not worth the extra money to get monarch. I also use nikon for all my photography.

Another scope to check out? Take a look at the discontinued Nitrex by Weaver scopes...bargain priced and basically same as Weaver Super Slams/Grand Slams...use same Japanese Glass and internals and made by LOW of Japan. Have a couple of the Nitrex TR2s, optics match Nikon Monarchs for clarity/brightness and darn close to glass in Zeiss Conquests. Mine have side focus with pullup turrets, the 3-15x42 SF cost me $218 and the 4-20X50 SF was $279. As I said, both were discontinued models sold at reduced prices and Nitrex has a $100 rebate on TR2s, $50 on TR1s.

Here is a Tr2 Nitrex 2-10X42 at Natchez Shooters Supply, only place with the discounted discontinued models to sell.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...rodTitle=Nitrex TR Two 2-10X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

I stopped by Cabela's yesterday and looked through a ton of scopes. I liked the Buckmaster, Monarch, Elite, and a Leupold. I ended up finding a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 for $179. I figured I would give it a shot (no pun) since I've heard a lot about them.

I might put it on the classified section soon as I continue trying other scopes so if anybody is interested, let me know. I'll hold onto the warranty card unless I decide to keep it.

Those Nitrex scopes sound really good though...I might have to jump on that and give a review.

If you get a chance, do a side by side comparison between a Burris Signature Select and the Nikon's, Bushnells and Leupolds of comparable price. I think you might be surprised. The Signature Select is a terrificly bright, clear hunting scope.

Austin,
If you like the buckmaster I suggest you go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo, this will take you to the Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program.
This is where you can enter all your load data no matter what cal or scope you use.
One big benefit of using this site is that if you are using a Nikon Scope with a BDC reticle it will give you the corresponding distances for each circle at each power setting. It even allows you to print out a Field Reference Chart. I am not going to tell you to go out and buy a Nikon scope, obviously it is a choice you need to make, I do recommend looking the Nikon Spot On program over. It can make your hunting/shooting experience much easier.
Let me know what you think Austin.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff