• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope

jones87

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Hey guys, looking for some help. Im having a new rifle being built. It's a defiance ultra light LA, with a proof carbon lite barrel and AG composites stock. It's chambered in 300WM.

It's going to be used for hunting mainly out west for elk and mule deer in the high country. For hunting im looking at a max of 600-700 yards. It'll also be used for target shooting, as far as I can get. We have a place where we can get 1300 yards.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a scope that I like. Im looking for a mil based scope that is in second focal. Preferably with a plex reticle. Not a fan of bdc or xmas reticles. I'd like for it to be under 25 oz. Either exposed or capped turrets is fine, as long as I can dial w them. Prefer a 50mm bell. Looking for a power range somewhere around 4-16. Trying to keep it under 2k.

I have a MK5 but for hunting it doesn't work for me. You can't see the reticle under 10 power. Looking to sell it so I have some cash for this new scope.

Only scopes that I've found are the VX-5 or 6s but their MOA. Looked at March scopes but people are 50 50 on weather they like them or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) Side Focus MIL RFP???

JFR

Reactions: sako17
Just use the moa scope you mentioned that fits your criteria. Make your own custom turret by taping off the numbers on your turrets and write in the yardages every 50 yards. See an animal, range it, dial the correct yardage on the turret and shoot. No need to worry about mils or moa when hunting. I prefer thick dublex reticles in SFP as well. Easy to see. Always.

JFR
Thanks I've looked a bunch on leupolds site not sure how I missed that one

Reactions: JFR
just picked up a Swarovski DS 5-25 putting it on a McWhorter 264 win mag. cant wait to stretch its legs.

How is the glass quality on the leupold vx3i lrp? Same as the mark 4s?