• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting / Tactical Combo Scope Suggestion

dntworry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2018
OR
New member looking for some input
  • What is the platform for the scope?
    • R700 LA / 26" Carbon Fiber Barrel / Magpul Hunter 700 Stock
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
    • 300WM
  • What is your intended use for the scope?
    • Hunting / Getting into Long Range Target Shooting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
    • Yes
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
    • 100-800 Yards at my local range for practice, would like to get a kill on an elk at 500+. I would eventually like to hit a steel target a 1 mile but that's not something I would be doing regularly
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
    • Lower side of weight scale, Good low light performance, zero stop, prefer MOA
  • What is the price range you can afford?
    • I tried a Vortex AMG and had issues with the side focus (I will admit that I have a very light rifle, no muzzle brake and was shooting from a lead sled. Maybe I'm wrong here but even with that, I don't think the scope should focusing incorrectly after a few shots)
Was eyeing up the ATACR 4-16x44 F1 but just starting research while I wait for my refund from Vortex

Last edited:
So, I have a rifle similar to yours...
R700 mountain rifle chambered in 270 win, no brake. It kicks less than some 300WM, but not by much, and substantially more than most.

I also have similar goals. I don't care to shoot to a mile, but would like to make effective hits on elk vitals at ranges I expect to see them. I practice regularly at my local range out to 600 yards- that is (much) farther than I would take a shot at game, but sets a good benchmark for me.

I use neither the rifle nor the scope as a hammer, but I have humped both through many miles of the CO backcountry elk hunting. I've also practiced with the combo a bunch (200 rounds isn't much by competition standards, but is a bunch by hunting rifle standards), though not a bunch lately, and have had no issues with the scope. I'm not terribly prone to break things, nor am I terribly clumsy so the combination has not been dropped. The scope is lighter than many scopes, but I would not call it a light weight scope. It uses brass shims as a zero stop. It has an illuminated reticle. While it may be just my sampling of 2 (I have another on a different rifle) I feel that you would need to be intentional to break them.

The scope is a Vortex viper PST 6-24x50 with a ERB-2c reticle in it. It is milrad, but can be had in MOA as well.

The above not withstanding, if you were not satisfied with the Vortex AMG, you will likely not be satisfied with the Viper PST.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I was satisfied when it worked but it seemed to be failing. I would like to get to the bottom of it if I was doing something wrong and causing it, but after talking to support they didn't have any other ideas and just said they can fix it again or just offer me a refund.

I reached out to some of our reps to get their input. Here is what we have to share, in no particular order:

Zeiss:
I would suggest the V6 3– 18 x 50 ZMOA-2. Awesome optics (FL glass), lighter weight than competing Nightforce scopes, 103 MOA elevation adjustment for shooting up to a mile and beyond, MOA reticle and matching MOA turret, great ballistic/zero stop, 5 Year no-fault policy plus lifetime warranty.

Athlon:

First off, Lead Sleads are not the best things to shoot from with a scope on the rifle because it doesn't allow the scope to have much shock resistance from the recoil, it is better shooting off bags. Second I would go with the Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 MOA, It has the great glass he is looking for, size and features as well.

Steiner:
Our T-Series #5126 5-25x56 SCR-MOA or #5114 3-15x50 SCR-MOA, depending on magnification they’re looking for. Best option based on value, durability, and warranty.
Check out the specs for additional detail

5126: https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56

5114: https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-3-15x50

It would be our pleasure to discuss these, or other, options with you

The Steiner T5-25x56 SCR-MOA looks very nice, any idea how it would compare to the ATACR 4-16x44 F1?

Night forces are widely accepted to be tanks for durability and very good glass/turrents . While I am not a huge fan, Leapuld has carved a name for great optics in that niche of hunting with benchrest capable.
Those are the two I can comment on per experience ( have Athlon but not hunted much with it )

If your buying new, definitely give gra8fuldoug a shout at @Camerland, he layed out some good options for you, and he took good care of me! Good luck

Reactions: gr8fuldoug