• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/target ammo for 308?

PewZ

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2023
Missouri
I'm on the search for a solid round for my PSA 308. It's a 18" barrel 1:10 twist. Ideally would like to find something that I can use primarily for hunting but also plinking so I'm not having to buy different ammo or adjust zero etc. Not sure if this is even feasible. I'm assuming 165-168gr is where I'll land but not sure. Figure I will order a couple boxes of different rounds and see what works best out of my particular setup. Any suggestions on where to start?

I'm on the search for a solid round for my PSA 308. It's a 18" barrel 1:10 twist. Ideally would like to find something that I can use primarily for hunting but also plinking so I'm not having to buy different ammo or adjust zero etc. Not sure if this is even feasible. I'm assuming 165-168gr is where I'll land but not sure. Figure I will order a couple boxes of different rounds and see what works best out of my particular setup. Any suggestions on where to start?

I would use 147gr stuff for plinking and then get 1-2 boxes of good 150gr hunting ammo and check zero before you go hunting. The difference will likely be minimal, just a few clicks of windage etc.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
How much do you plan to shoot while hunting? How does that to compare to your plinking? Most won’t shoot more than a few boxes of ammo at animals over their lifetime.

Hunting ammo is expensive. Plinking ammo should be cheap, or else it’s not really “plinking.”

Find a “hunting load” your gun likes. Buy a couple of boxes of that.

Find something inexpensive that shoots reasonably well for plinking. Buy a bunch of that.

Re-zero as necessary.

Or, build out a hunting gun that is zeroed with hunting ammo that only gets drug out of the safe for hunting season.

ADI / Australian Outback 165 grain Game King soft point has a reputation for precision and shoots 1 MOA or better in both of my gassers.

I use it for punching paper and ringing steel.

Their other stuff is good, too.

Reactions: bfoosh006
ADI / Australian Outback 165 grain Game King soft point has a reputation for precision and shoots 1 MOA or better in both of my gassers.

I use it for punching paper and ringing steel.

Their other stuff is good, too.
I had the same results with the above ADI 165gr SP ammo , when it was on sale it was a heckuva deal.

My PSA barrels liked the Fed. Blue Box 180gr SP, and 150gr Fusion loads as well.

I will also second the comment about finding a cheaper ball round and a GTG SP load.

Maybe try some of the PSA/ AAC 308 loads, and see if they meet your accuracy needs.
The AAC ammo tends to go in and out of stock frequently.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/308-ammo.html?manufacturer_v2=AAC

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Eunozs
For me personally: 147s or cheap 150s (the new AAC stuff) for plinking

150gr soft points for deer/pigs…and pretty much anything actually. I really like the Norma 150 soft points; they do the job, and I get good brass for reloading.

168s for anything past a couple hundred yards; only exception: Lapua 167s when I can get ‘em.