• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting tripod options

Jonny6.5

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2020
Mostly for setting up in blinds so weight isn't a huge issue. Budget is only $150 (blew my money on a scope). Rifle is 8.5 lbs 6.5 CM. Shooting less than 400 yards.

I'm looking at the Bog Deathgrip but I'd kinda rather mount a plate on the bottom of the rifle than have a saddle. I see the Shadow Tech, LLC PIG0311 Field Tripod is only $138. I'd just need something to let me tilt the gun forward.

I see a lot of guys using ball heads but I wonder if it would be a battle keeping the gun from flopping side to side. Kinda wonder if a fluid head would be better for me as i don't care if cant isn't perfect?

Out of a blind, just use a bag on top of the tripod or out the windowsill. 400 is doable.

Get the PIG tripod, and a ballhead off Amazon if you want. I got mine from Rauch Precision. He sells some good kit for it and knows his stuff. Taught the urban sniper course in the Marines.

Ball heads are easier than fluid heads, IMO. Mount a plate on your rifle. I did it with a cheap carbon fiber tripon and ball head till I upgraded to a beefier Feisol and Anvil 30. Weight ratings matter, the bigger the better.

You would be wise to figure out rear support as well. Maybe a monopod or pillow in your lap if you are seated. I ditched my bipod once I started running my tripod with rear support. I can shoot off the side of a hill, and the more slope the better, unless I am sliding down. I habe had to rememeer to clip in my bags, cause I have had them fall and roll down the mountain when practicing. I can shoot .5 moa and better out to 600 yards. Except hard wind, under 1 moa is standard. These pics are on level ground though, give you an idea of how I do it seated. Be creative.

Attachments

• 20200325_161949.jpg
    20200325_161949.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200325_162027.jpg
    20200325_162027.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 79
When you say blinds are you talking about a tent type ground blind or a hard blind?

Makes a big difference in strategy, since you’ve got a real solid front rest built in with option B

On edit..... really doesn’t make that much difference. If you’ve got a super duper tight budget, just forget about the head all together. Get the cheap tripod and use your imagination to make yourself a tac table thats direct mounted. Use the rest of your budget to invest in a Fortune Cookie or Game Changer. No cute ultralight fills either.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have specified pop up blind. I'll be moving locations a lot on most of my hunts. Prone is usually out as it's mostly logging cuts so sitting in a fold out chair or standing. Rough plan right now is to locate an area and use available cover or pop up. Sit if possible and use a bag in my lap for rear support.

Edited while you were answering. Doesn’t change my feedback, if you’re on a budget just forget about buying a head. Better off with direct mounted tac table and bag on top. Strive for seated if possible, with elbows on knees for bone on bone rear support.

You’re going to need proper fundamentals to pull it off either way, so buying shit tripod heads is just a waste of money.

hereinaz what weight rating ball would you suggest? On amazon there is a Pergear TH3 for $30 rated for 17.6lbs. Put's me over budget but there is $60 ODWARF R1 rated for 39.7lbs

Edited while you were answering. Doesn’t change my feedback, if you’re on a budget just forget about buying a head. Better off with direct mounted tac table and bag on top. Strive for seated if possible, with elbows on knees for bone on bone rear support.

One reason I want a tripod it to support the rifle during the many many hours of sitting and waiting. Not critical in the blind but I may just be sitting behind a bush some times and don't want to be moving around much. But maybe just not realistic on my budget.

One reason I want a tripod it to support the rifle during the many many hours of sitting and waiting. But maybe just not realistic on my budget.

Not an unrealistic thing to ask for. Ideally your rifle’s “center of balance” is on top of the tripod anyhow, so it sits on the bag easily without you having to hold it there.

Need to focus on that principle regardless to overcome equipment limitations associated with small budget.

There are lots of different ways to skin this cat. My suggestions are what I decided after going through this exact same journey myself. If I could go back I wouldn’t have wasted as much time and money on shit tripod heads. Basically, get a RRS head or just use a table and a bag.

"... I wouldn’t have wasted as much time and money on shit tripod heads ..." Wisdom in those words buy once cry once.

Precision Rifle Solutions has a slik tripod setup with a cradle on a ballhead, should be right around that $150 mark.

Besides the feet and hook is there a real difference between the Slik 700 DX and the PIG0311? The slik is $40 cheaper and I have green spray paint...

Not sure about the pig0311 but the center tube in the slik is removable. I’ll get some pics when I get home. It has a threaded section that can be removed to get down pretty darn low if you think a prone shot would occur. The ballhead that comes with it will hold a hunting rifle or a .22, but anything over 10lbs probably wouldn’t support. I put a qd plate on my ar-10 and theres not enough tension in the ballhead to support it level. If you are just supporting the front of the rifle for a field expedient rest, its doable.

Yep do some searching here on the Hide for Pig tripod center column delete. Just scrap the center column all together and bolt something on direct no matter which direction you go.

As promised,
D7F78ED4-349A-4755-9CAA-E89BC8AAB9CB.jpeg

4825287F-221E-4A03-A109-D93CC1CE8848.jpeg
2399F404-3327-41BB-9224-3C15F4F71704.jpeg

Length of center column fully extended is around 14”. With it removed, it sits lower than a brm-s. Fully extended, I have to stand on my tippy-toes to use the binos, I’m 6’1”.

Thanks Powder_Burns! I'm putting in the order today for the slik tripod and this ball head (supposed to hold 39.7lbs). Plan is to attach the mounting plate to the rifle.
ODWARF R1 39.7lbs CNC Professional Premium Metal Damping Camera Tripod Ball Heads with 1/4 Quick Shoe Plate

715u0IkbzPL._AC_SL1482_.jpg