• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Tripod

TriggerHappy0125

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2019
I know there are a ton of tripod threads. I have read almost all of them. If i missed something my apologies please direct me to the thread. Almost all of the tripod threads are match shooting or day hunts not involving a lot of hiking. I want something i can drag around with me for days in the back country. I took an elk last season at 650 yards becase i could was able to get a shot prone, i passed on other shots because i was not able to get a position i was comfortable with. What i have gathered so far is RRS for $$$$ or something like innorel 90c which is very heavy. I‘d like to hear from some of you guys that hike several miles for multiple days.

I am in a similar position as you and am considering buying a triple pull Cyke-pod as a possibility. It won't allow for shooting while standing (like the RRS tripod would) but should be high enough to allow for taking a shot while sitting or kneeling. It is also a third the weight of the RRS. However, it is nearly as expensive.

Perhaps if we are lucky one of the guys that uses one can provide some insight.

A universal answer seems to be the rrs 24l/anvil combo.

I just got a 22i/anvil and sold off my leofoto ln-364c. The rrs is just over half the weight but more stable. This one doesn't collapse short at all but the folded diameter is reasonable. The 24l with anvil Apex is only about 4" od packed I think.

I have one of the tnvc night stalker tripods(same as a Desmond 284 and many others) and it's compact and a hair lighter but there's no comparison on the stability. I doubt I'd take much more than a 3-400yd shot on a game animal with it.

Reactions: E-Tool and kabarNC
If your'e going to use it as a shooting platform you really can't beat the RRS 24l/Anvil set up. I just recently bought one and it weighs in at 4.8 pounds.

I'd have no problem hauling it around on a several day outing.

It's 1.5# heavier than the Slick 634/Sirui V5 setup I used on my wilderness sheep hunt, but I'd have had a much more comfortable shot with it.

IMG_1966.jpeg
IMG_1967.jpeg

I've been using this little one. Don't remember who i got it from. Its lightweight & as long as you don't extend it too far it's stable enough for the hunting rifle.
15891331963812946628933405219611.jpg

I can’t remember the exact episode but it’s one of the first 4 or 5 of the modern day sniper podcast caylen talks about a new rrs he just started using for pack hunting. Seemed like the one to get as far as rrs is concerned.

Reactions: Aceteck
I had previously used an 0311 with TA-U-LC

It was heavy at 6.8# and I wasnt real comfortable making standing shots on game with it.

I recently upgraded to a TFCT-34L and it comes in at 5.25# on my luggage scale and 5.15# on my kitchen scale.

I am a hiker. I dont have a quad and hunt public land. This generally means my elk hunts are 4-8 days and have me moving several miles a day trying to get away from bubba and friends that spend elk camp getting turnt till the wee hours then waiting till daybreak to go 30mph on their UTV... I digress.

I am looking forward to the new setup this year. Night and day difference in stability. Plenty of height for higher angle shots (I was limited with the leveling base and had to do a bit more thinking and spend some more time for building positions).

10/10 I would go with the 34L again.

My wife commented about how I should have gone RRS years ago after handling it. Having her no nonsense approval meant something to me.

It packs real tight, lightest in its class and the quality is second to none.

20200510_121901.jpg20200510_121836.jpg

The twist locks on the legs are just a smidge larger than the TFCT apex.

This was one of the things that factored into my pack ability decisions. The stability gained and height advantage for standing and spotting/high angle capability vs the half pound or so saved with the 24L factored for me.

Reactions: Diver160651
No matter the tripod I think RRS is worth it for whatever head you want to put on, Im going with an Anvil. Currently using a Sunwayfoto XB44 and it’s ok, can hit a 10” plate at 550 every time but 1000 and beyond im not as confident in it my hit % drops to 60%. So say 500 max for hunting with my current setup.

I hike to my shooting spots with all my gear anywhere from .5-3 miles and the RT-90 is pretty damn heavy and bulky.

So I grabbed a Sirui AM-284 to try out and it’s much lighter but less robust than the -90. 30 lb rating and my heaviest rifle my SRS is 16.6 lbs Next time I go shoot I’ll bring it along to see how it is.
B442F811-8F0A-4078-B378-9F170CE99C0C.jpeg

FFA80C6F-563C-4016-8821-7B126FA93155.jpeg

B37BBA1A-E82A-45C4-A017-D84BEAF52100.jpeg

I’ll give you the advice that was given to me, and that’s if you can afford it get the rrs and be done.

Reactions: Aceteck
We hunt in the mountains for goats on the island every year. Got tired of using a sirui tripod for standing shots on inclines like this. Aftwr hiking for 2hrs in 85 degree weather with no shade, i was willing to invest in something that would be rock solid. Legit with my TL3 at 9lbs on this TL24 RRS with anvil 30 head, my zco reticle looks like im shooting off a bench at 200-300 yards while standing. Havent found a better investment IMHO.

Attachments

• 20200201_142349.jpg
    20200201_142349.jpg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 20180812_141110.jpg
    20180812_141110.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 285
Feisol ct-3372 with the rrs ta3
I packed up at 10,000 elevation on my pack.not to bad to carry,really stable .pic is my match rifle, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20190620_202547.jpg
    20190620_202547.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 158
Right now I have a lephoto 284C with RRS universal leveling base I use and have absolutely no complaints. It’s plenty light and comfortable to jump around on my pack. We’re in the middle of moving right now so I can’t weight it but I honestly can’t imagine justifying spending the extra mountain of money to have the RRS tripod. They make the finest products for this use but I have plenty of things I could spend the left over money on

Has anyone had a chance to compare the RRS Anvil-30 ballhead to the RRS TA-2U levling base? I have looked at both and the leveling base seems like it would lock up stronger but was wondering if anyone had real world experience.

Reactions: JAA485
Has anyone had a chance to compare the RRS Anvil-30 ballhead to the RRS TA-2U levling base? I have looked at both and the leveling base seems like it would lock up stronger but was wondering if anyone had real world experience.

User @Diver160651 made a really awesome post about the stability of various heads and tripods mostly RRS with some Feisol info too do a search it should come up.

Reactions: Franko
Anvil ballhead has more travel, meaning u can shoot at steeper angles .but does not lock up as tight or has some flex in the system. The ta-3 has less travel or less of a shooting angle but locks up more stable. So salve the angel problem with the ta-3 of less angle all u have to do is drop a leg down to get more angle

There is also the rocky mountain tactical support tripod that's coming out right around the corner. From what I can tell, they're trying to be a direct competitor with RRS. There's a few threads here on it.

Reactions: Polymer Pete
There is also the rocky mountain tactical support tripod that's coming out right around the corner. From what I can tell, they're trying to be a direct competitor with RRS. There's a few threads here on it.

The design of their Brace Lock (tm) and apex will make it less packable than an equivalent RRS tripod.

Vector-tripod.jpg

The top leg diameter is within .02" diameter of the RRS Series 3 legs according to their spec sheet.

Final dimensions when collapsed and weight are both TBD on the Vector Tripod according to their website.

Attachments

• Vector-tripod.jpg
    Vector-tripod.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 74
User @Diver160651 made a really awesome post about the stability of various heads and tripods mostly RRS with some Feisol info too do a search it should come up.

This is the link compares the RRS heads and bit of other info:

I think they are actually targeting the more robust sized Chinese tripods like Leofoto 404C $650, 40 Mike $515, and Feisols CT-3472 $599. By offering a US made product very unique design if you get the integrated head. Legs are $599

Here is a link I think you hunters might like, especially when using a light weight Magnum with a tripod. Try NOT shooting like the images you see with all legs at the same height. The link is inside our Field Match Tips and Tricks (an ongoing segment over the next few months)

Edited to add: The ultra light Feisol 3342 (after my old 055) was my go to for hunting, the bigger TVC-33 for matches. But after the addition of the anvil the size difference and tiny bit of extra weight, I just stuck with the RRS for both. For longer shots like we see in the West, hands down you can not beat the weight/size to stability ratio.

MY 2 cents, while you want small and light to pack for hunting, you also want a solid standing height. Hunting takes a ton of time and expense, skimping on a tripod seems like a bad idea. I no longer go on Western hunts without my RRS, it is the best $$ I have spent on any gear I own; it has changed the game.

Come on over and leave comments or suggestions, heck post your hunting pictures, our Field Matches are designed with hunting in mind.

Last edited:
I am also interested in this as well, I have a few tripods for camera work as well as hunting (for bino's/spotter, not gun).

Good posts so far in this thread, but so far I am seeing one issue: OP is looking for a tripod for backpack hunts. On a hunt like that you really need to cut weight where possible so this tripod would have to be dual purpose for glassing all day and then setting up the spotter on, as well as taking long range shots from. Swapping tripod heads to a separate pan head I bring along is fine, I could deal with that weight, but I cant bring two tripods. S far these setups seem to have different attachment points than a pan head you use for your bino's and spotter.

Is there some attachment or the like I am missing? The thread from Diver shows what I mean, when comparing the ball head attachments of the two tripods:

Diver160651

U can get an acra mount for your binos . The outdoorsman "I think "sales one .someone else on here probably knows of more places. I took my ziess mount and modified it with a grinder to fit in arca clamp

U can get an acra mount for your binos . The outdoorsman "I think "sales one .someone else on here probably knows of more places. I took my ziess mount and modified it with a grinder to fit in arca clamp
The outdoorsman is great, but I think they are overpriced because "hunting". But ignoring that, since they sell adapters for their pan heads... it would be:
pan head > acra mount adapter > RRS Anvil > tripod

In other words i'm doubling up on tripod heads? Not the best solution, but I could live with it if its the only way.

I see, my mount attaches straight to binos right to ballhead it wieghts like 2oz .I no there r other options out there to eliminate so much crap, @seansmd maybe he can respond hes great at gear stuff like this

Reactions: seansmd
I am also interested in this as well, I have a few tripods for camera work as well as hunting (for bino's/spotter, not gun).

Good posts so far in this thread, but so far I am seeing one issue: OP is looking for a tripod for backpack hunts. On a hunt like that you really need to cut weight where possible so this tripod would have to be dual purpose for glassing all day and then setting up the spotter on, as well as taking long range shots from. Swapping tripod heads to a separate pan head I bring along is fine, I could deal with that weight, but I cant bring two tripods. S far these setups seem to have different attachment points than a pan head you use for your bino's and spotter.

Is there some attachment or the like I am missing? The thread from Diver shows what I mean, when comparing the ball head attachments of the two tripods:

Diver160651

nail on the head.

Bring one tripod, ditch your bipod or bog pod..

glass with more definition that you have ever seen then shoot 1/2 minute (less optical and wind), reach out with deadly precision for a 1lbs penalty over a rickety system.

Then go from a stupid 4-6lbs backpack to a 21oz 80cf back pack..

Let’s all do the math...

We’ve never had it so good!

Reactions: AZn8v and 260284
nail on the head.

Bring one tripod, ditch your bipod or bog pod..

glass with more definition that you have ever seen then shoot 1/2 minute (less optical and wind), reach out with deadly precision for a 1lbs penalty over a rickety system.

Then go from a stupid 4-6lbs backpack to a 21oz 80cf back pack..

Let’s all do the math...

We’ve never had it so good!

Won't be getting rid of my Stone Glacier anytime soon. :)

That being said - I still dont follow how the setup works. What am I missing? These heads wont work for glassing... how do you configure an all-in-one setup?

That being said - I still dont follow how the setup works. What am I missing? These heads wont work for glassing... how do you configure an all-in-one setup?
Why do u not think they will work

You need a pan head for glassing all day behind a pair of binos. Ball head doesnt cut it.
U can pan ,it may not lock 100 % with the ta3 but if keep some tension on ball head it will travel horizontally, not lock out but u can do it

U can pan ,it may not lock 100 % with the ta3 but if keep some tension on ball head it will travel horizontally, not lock out but u can do it
What you can do, and what is the correct tool for the job are two different things. When your sitting on mountains panning valleys for 5 or 6 days, you're not trying to deal with the deficiencies of a ball head.

I'll speak for myself, but I'm not giving up the ease of adjustment and precision of a pan head. Plus I'd go nuts using a ball head. YMMV.

Still would love to figure out a system so I can swap them back and forth. I'll carry two tripod heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabot

What glass are you using that a panning ball head will not work?

I am using relatively heavy Swarovski 15x Binos for the first pass and then switch to a Swarovski ATX Spotter. My backpack carbon tripod with a pan/tilt works well when sitting, but if it is windy, especially standing, I lose most of all the resolution I gained by having spent almost $6,000 on the glass; because of the vibration from the pan/tilt head. I have left both my geared heads (actually the most accurate way to move the spotter, especially one with a reticle) and pan/tilt heads packed, as I learned how to manipulate my glass with ease. Remember, it you have any shake, you will not be seeing to the potential of your glass.

The RRS TA3 or any leveling head is specifically designed to go under a tripod head to speed the leg leveling process. These happen to be the most stable of all systems to shoot from. To answer your question, if you can not give up your pan/tilt head and want the lightest solution possible, you can mount a 1.5" dovetail to the bottom of your pan/tilt and use a more robust tripod for both.

Here is the basic concept showing my barrel vice that uses an RRS 1.5" dovetail (the same as on my hunting guns) and a ball head (inset your pan/tilt) as a bench gun vice. The rifle shown is not one of my hunting guns- lol
Unknown-7.jpeg

This big heavy Geared Pan Tilt head is many times more stable than the typical friction pan/tilt found on most people spotters; yet even this is shaken around in the wind with big glass. But you can mount a smaller (but high quality) pan tilt the same way on top of your TA3, or heck even an Anvil 30 and have better performance than using a small tripod with the extended center column. The point really is you can do the same with any pan tilt that isn't the cheap styles permanently attached to a center column. Think of my Barrel vice mount as the top of your high quality tripod.
Heads.png

Imagine the little pan/tilt below like so many people use, if the big way more expensive head wiggles as shown.

Unknown-10.jpeg

At the end of the day, everyone has their own favorite setups; I am not trying to change yours. I hope this helps answer your question though.

BTW there are some good pan-tilt heads that are fairly light. My Berlebach Model 553 is about 20oz once I replaced the original QR assembly. Outdoorsman sells one too.
Swaro ATX85 SWARO 15x56.png

Last edited:
I see, my mount attaches straight to binos right to ballhead it wieghts like 2oz .I no there r other options out there to eliminate so much crap, @seansmd maybe he can respond hes great at gear stuff like this
That's what i have a swaro post that clamps in the arca clamp, same for my lrf clamps on the arca clamp. One tripod, gun, bino, lrf all clamp into the same anvil30.

That said I don't sit and glass all day hunting. With light tension on the anvil lever i can adjust the glass in any direction and tighten to hold picture as needed.

That's what i have a swaro post that clamps in the arca clamp, same for my lrf clamps on the arca clamp. One tripod, gun, bino, lrf all clamp into the same anvil30.

R_Swanson is not worried about how to attach his Bino as much as he is concerned about grid control.. He wants smooth control of the panning and have to imaging the vertical as well. Ball heads we use for shooting have a pan feature.

Here is the mount Sean is talking about. The Swaro ATX fits in the same dovetail.

Last edited:
Yes i am from RRS, so I use our gear, but I'll show/tell you what is used/purchased alot.

-Whatever tripod you want for your needs. Our 1 series or 2 series tripods are most popular for the back country, save every ounce possible guys.

-Anvil-30 is our most popular ballhead.

-PC-LR is a panning clamp you can put on top of the Anvil and it turns it into almost a pan tilt, makes grip scanning easier. https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pc-lr

-B76 plate for a spotter, some guys use a B22 if their spotter utilizes the 3/8" stud instead of 1/4"-20

-Cinch-LR BA for the binos. Quickly becoming ubber popular.

TFCT-24L.main-1.png
Anvil-30-Ballhead.3-01.png
pc-lr.main-1.png
Cinch-LR-BA.main-01.png

Last edited:
We are I promise!
We just sold out of our last Anvil batch and will have another batch in less than 2 weeks.
What you guys don't see and I don't advertise, is if military contracts come around.
We are still shipping directly, still shipping to our dealers, and we get out orders pretty quick.
We also allow people to place back orders which reserves a seat at the table without actually charging them.
Don't have a single SOAR customer with over an 8 day back ordered item, and that is only 2 orders. All other orders are caught up.

Ill keep trying, now lets get back to hunting tripods for the OP!

R_Swanson is not worried about how to attach his Bino as much as he is concerned about grid control.. He wants smooth control of the panning and have to imaging the vertical as well. Ball heads we use for shooting have a pan feature.

Here is the mont Sean is talking about. The Swaro ATX fits in the same dovetail.

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. Thank you for posts.

So - I do feel sort of dumb. It seems that the base of these tripods, be it the stock base or the level heads are still 3/8"-16 attachment points. So any tripod that uses that connection I can utilize. How I have missed this, I have no idea.

@Diver160651 is your setup mostly for long range shooting, and much less hunting? I think I am putting 2 and 2 together with your backpack comment now, which confused me last night. But if your setup is for shooting / tactical related stuff it makes sense to me. No 21oz bag is gonna handle 120 lbs on your back, haha... Not because of the bag, but because of the frame and more importantly the hip belt.

I totally see how your overall setup works for your applications (re: ball head for everything), and even could work in passing for mine - but IMO its not the correct tool for the job for hard core glassing for animals, especially out here in AZ for deer.

Reactions: seansmd
Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. Thank you for posts.

So - I do feel sort of dumb. It seems that the base of these tripods, be it the stock base or the level heads are still 3/8"-16 attachment points. So any tripod that uses that connection I can utilize. How I have missed this, I have no idea.

@Diver160651 is your setup mostly for long range shooting, and much less hunting? I think I am putting 2 and 2 together with your backpack comment now, which confused me last night. But if your setup is for shooting / tactical related stuff it makes sense to me. No 21oz bag is gonna handle 120 lbs on your back, haha... Not because of the bag, but because of the frame and more importantly the hip belt.

I totally see how your overall setup works for your applications (re: ball head for everything), and even could work in passing for mine - but IMO its not the correct tool for the job for hard core glassing for animals, especially out here in AZ for deer.

Yes, I use the same tripod for matches, but scouting and spotting in the West as well. The one thing match shooting has taught me is just how easy it is to miss. The last thing I want to do is miss place a shot on the animals, even pigs that I hunt the most as it is pig season year round.

Here is my typical hunting pack and it has at least that much weight on it. Without those 10oz walking sticks I would never have made it. The picture is back at the truck the following morning after hiking down from the snow covered peaks.
Unknown-12.jpeg

I use the larger RRS TV33 because it drastically increases the range and my accuracy potential. The Swaro glass is hunting, and in Wyoming and Colorado wind can be real issue. The same tripod is used to spot as is shown in the rifle setup on the very top snow patch of the valley on the right.
Unknown-15.jpeg
Unknown-17.jpeg

The magnum with CF barrel is about 1 lb heavier (the stock is heavier) than my Tikka Superlite with a fluted pencil barrel (base weight 5.8lbs), but my confidence is much higher.
Unknown-1.png

Just a repost of last years - Jabot and I applied for Wyoming (I have a house there) and have our fingers crossed. My son, can just walk up and get an Elk tag. If this COVID crap settles a bit, I try to get both CO 4th rifle, Wyoming Archery and rifle, this season.. But there is always pig hunting, both long range and packing in..
Unknown-18.jpeg

Do I bring the whiskey or two tripods?

Anyway, just posting so yo know I am not pretending to carry that match rifle out in the field..

Jim

Last edited:
Yes, I use the same tripod for matches, but scouting and spotting in the West as well. The one thing match shooting has taught me is just how easy it is to miss. The last thing I want to do is miss place a shot on the animals, even pigs that I hunt the most as it is pig season year round.

Here is my typical hunting pack and it has at least that much weight on it. Without those 10oz walking sticks I would never have made it. The picture is back at the truck the following morning after hiking down from the snow covered peaks.
View attachment 7326081

I use the larger RRS TV33 because it drastically increases the range and my accuracy potential. The Swaro glass is hunting, and in Wyoming and Colorado wind can be real issue. The same tripod is used to spot as is shown in the rifle setup on the very top snow patch of the valley on the right.
View attachment 7326088View attachment 7326086

The magnum with CF barrel is about 1 lb heavier (the stock is heavier) than my Tikka Superlite with a fluted pencil barrel (base weight 5.8lbs), but my confidence is much higher.
View attachment 7326085

Just a repost of last years - Jabot and I applied for Wyoming (I have a house there) and have our fingers crossed. My son, can gust walk up and get an Elk tag. If this COVID crap settles a bit, I try to get both CO 4th rifle, Wyoming Archery and rifle, this season.. But there is always pig hunting, both long range and packing in..
View attachment 7326094
Do I bring the whiskey or two tripods?

Anyway, just posting so yo know I am not pretending to carry that match rifle out in the field..

Jim

Apologies if my posts implied I thought you were pretending, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to figure out what your usual use case is, since you're using a ball head for everything, and then the comment about bag weight. I see that Kuiu bag on your back in one pick, haha, so obviously you dont carry 21oz bag when hunting and hauling big game. :)

Great pics! I have points saved up in WY, just trying to figure out what year I have time to go and if I should burn them on a general tag or pick a tougher unit. I have family there, so I can hunt the sought after wilderness areas if I want to wait until I have enough points. I'm thinking about CO OTC 3rd rifle this year, as you said, it depends on COVID.

• Love
RRS had a prototype at Shot called the Ascend 14 that is supposed to hit in June. I can't remember the specs exactly but I believe the tripod and head were under 4lbs. It looked like the 24 with a slimmed down base and the head was a slimmed down anvil.

New from Gunwerks, looks similar to RRS legs...didn't catch a price.

Its just a rebranded Leofoto Ranger knock off. If your the type to go that route, buy it off the ali express or amazon website for at least $50 cheaper.

Reactions: YotaEer
I just picked up an AS80C and D-Low 55 head. Not nearly as fancy as the RRS, but at under 1/3 the cost and for mostly spotter use, it should work out fine. Not sure if the box numbers are reliable, but they say it'll come in at ~4.5lbs with the head installed, maybe a bit under. I won't be able to play with it until after the holiday, but should have some opinions in the next couple weeks for the scope and an AR. Not sure how I'd attach the BLR to it, maybe just put some cloth on the head and use that as a rest? Might still end up with one of the higher end options if this doesn't meet my needs, but the majority of use I'm expecting is with a spotter/binos/camera when my ultralight tripod isn't up to snuff.

New from Gunwerks, looks similar to RRS legs...didn't catch a price.

If you use your imagination, can see in the video the lack of options short rails give the hunter on a hunting gun. I don't know what it is, but very few guys making how to shoot from a tripod, either seem like they really don't know or take the time to show setups that take tripods to the next level like a full ultra-light dovetail for hunting guns.

The video brings up a side point to consider when you're making your HUNTING tripod choice. A light full-length ARCA like Henderson Precision weighs in about 3.5oz, about the same as some thicker short rails and certainly the same or less than both a short rail and a Picatinny rail upfront for the bipod.

The added benefits of a full rail are:
  • It is wide and smooth and will provide a better recoil path without getting hung up when shot off a backpack or bag like a patchwork of rails a lot of people and the video shows.
  • Total weight can be less than two independent rails
  • For steep slopes and large angles, being able to slide the tripod mount a bit forward can really help with fine-tuning the buttstock height and allowing a better body position in some cases.
  • It is usually faster and easier to connect when rushed, in the dark, or trying to keep our eyes on an animal.
  • If you use a bipod you can slide it back, to have a smaller footprint if needed.
  • You can ditch the bipod completely and have bipod stability, by sliding the tripod upfront where the bipod would normally go - (see the image below)
  • Losing a light spotting tripod and your bipod, you'll save weight and can upgrade your stability by using a more robust tripod like the RRS 33 and Anvil (less total weight) - I no longer carry a bipod when hunting
With a full rail, you can go from very low prone, medium to high prone with many tripods and have the same or better stability than a bipod. It is unfortunate that many people haven't experienced the full versatility of using a tripod by utilizing a full rail. As an example; last weekend we finished our UKD Team Feild match. Every station had challenges that the teams needed to think through that was based on something that could be encountered in the field hunting; basically, it was a tripod match, and utilizing it quickly and effectively played a role in every solution. I tried to set each FFP in a way that would lure teams that didn't analyze the problem in a less than ideal location inside a marked FFP area as part of the challenge. One, in particular, looked great for a bipod, and it was the only true sub-MOA stage, so stability was a key component. Many shooters didn't see the subtle rise in the dirt and skipped bullet after bullet off the hardpan dead set on trying to make a bipod work. Others that did see the problem, tried to shoot kneeling or sitting on the tripod, when in fact they should have used a tripod high prone, (as shown below), set just a few inches higher than the bipods could provide. It is every bit as stable as prone. I didn't see one team use the easy solution to the problem as pictured below.

Pig gun tripod prone.jpg

The image was talked for the Field Match tripod tips and tricks post. I do NOT carry the Gel-lite rear bag hunting. I just move my pack around to provide the support.

PS I'll put the solution I was hoping for in the match debrief next week.

Last edited:
I just picked up an AS80C and D-Low 55 head. Not nearly as fancy as the RRS, but at under 1/3 the cost and for mostly spotter use, it should work out fine. Not sure if the box numbers are reliable, but they say it'll come in at ~4.5lbs with the head installed, maybe a bit under. I won't be able to play with it until after the holiday, but should have some opinions in the next couple weeks for the scope and an AR. Not sure how I'd attach the BLR to it, maybe just put some cloth on the head and use that as a rest? Might still end up with one of the higher end options if this doesn't meet my needs, but the majority of use I'm expecting is with a spotter/binos/camera when my ultralight tripod isn't up to snuff.

Whatcha think of it so far?