• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting w/ your tact rifle, packing it n your gear

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Thinking about hunting this fall with my 16 lb Surgeon in 6.5x47L. My favorite spot is a skootch over 11,000'. I normally use a Eberlestock J107 but this rifle won't fit in the scabbard. Thinking of buying another Eberlestock with a larger scabbard but wanted to see who hunts with their tactical rifles and how you're all carrying them along with all your hunting gear.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Hunting w/ your tact rifle, packing it n your gear

Eberlestock gunslinger II.
Larger scabbard.
Holds gear nice and tight.
If you are packing out game with the same pack, not so much. It's a tactical pack, not a meat and head packer.

I understand you want to use your tactical rifle but what the hell are you thinking. Dont look for a bigger pack become a better hunter and get closer.Shoot to shoot but hunt to hunt there is a difference. good luck.

Taking the best shot posible IS becoming a better hunter, and if shooting the gun you are most confident with makes you a better shot then take it. I hunt with my favorite two guns that are both Tac sticks, one weighs about 14# and the other 18#, taken shots from 60 to 900 yds with both of them. You hunt your way, let him hunt his way, you never know, his way might be better.

Less is easier.

That being said, I carry my 14# everywhere for big game. Was uncomfortable the first day. From the second day to present it has become a non-issue.

Recently carried it on brother's goat hunt as a backup gun. He was the only one with a tag. My 14# rifle would only have been defaulted to if his failed. It was a not an issue on the whole, and remained un-used. I do not regret carrying it. My toenails however are still growing back ~6months after the fact. It was not a short hike, nor light with half the damned goat on my back. Could have been worse, could have been an elk. The rifle weight had little impact in the end when compared to everything else we took.

Still am a bit envious of "pards" with feather-weights though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonBon13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand you want to use your tactical rifle but what the hell are you thinking. Dont look for a bigger pack become a better hunter and get closer.Shoot to shoot but hunt to hunt there is a difference. good luck. </div></div>

Don,

Where in my OP did I say anything about shooting far or near?

I didn't!

Look at what's in my hand.

I know how to get close.

Please don't assume something I didn't say.

Want to read the story to see how close?
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/5361004101?r=9371034101#9371034101

AlanGriffithmoose20084.jpg

If long range shooting is not your goal, why take a boat anchor over a lighter rifle. To many people [not saying you] are watching these long range hunting show and taking shots which could easly be taken at a closer distance.They never show the wounded animals.I should never implied a lack of your hunting skill to get my point across.ALL legal hunting methods should be embraced.With that said, I have carried to many clients rifles because they thought bigger is better.Good luck in whatever you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who cant carry their own rifle, ought not be hunting, much less takin shots beyond 100yds.
My .02</div></div>

Unless they are under the age of 12!

coldbore what happened to "you hunt your way and let other people hunt theirs". Everybody wants to carry their own gun but we were in real rough country and if they drop the gun or cant keep up it doesnt do me any good. So I would usally talk them into it and with a eberlestock backpack I could carry that and my spotting scope with no problem.With a halfbody aoudad head and cape it got a little crowded but its usally downhill from there:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonBon13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that said, I have carried to many clients rifles "because they thought bigger is better." </div></div>

Your post said you carried it because they thought bigger was better, not because you were both packing out equipment and animal. I stand by my previous statement, If you cant carry your own gun, be it 7 or 20 lbs, then you shouldn't be out there. Now if your gonna change your story and say its because of packing out eqipment, then I'll agree with you 100%, everyone has helped pack out rifles after a kill.You had me picturing you packing a clients rifle because he was too big of a puss to carry it. Back to the OP, whatever an individual decides to hunt with is his business, if he wants a heavy gun or light, whatever makes him the best hunter. Hunting is not JUST about sneeking up close.

I carried my 17lb 7WSM in my Eberlestock Phantom on a elk hunt in CO. Worked out well.

Great discussion here!!

IMHO- the key to hunting successfully is being in decent shape to start. Rifles and gear seem to be getting more and more heavier. Good optics alone seem to weigh a ton. And I MUST have the best optic I can afford.

I guess I'm like some guys, good or bad, that like to hunt with the rifles I shoot all the time. My precision rifles. Heavy, yup!

All said-I need to save up for a Eberlestock too.
wink.gif

How does carring a heavier rifle make you a better hunter.Why cant a person have the same confidence in a lighter rifle.There are some very accurate hunting rifles available.Save the weight for more water or something.

I have a 12# hunting rifle, & an 18# LR rig. I bring both with to camp.(My camper), but carry the 12# in the field. I'm comfortable with it out to 600 yds. The LR is there for emergency, as a back up. I'll use the LR for situations where I know a LR shot will be likely. All in all an extra 6# doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. So I say shoot what you brung.

Alan -

I believe the Gunslinger II is calling your name. I have researched the heck out of this and found some great reviews for exactly what you are asking.

Good luck, man!!

dragbag001.jpg

dragbag002.jpg

This is what I use for packing and hunting with my 16+ pound Surgeon rifle..I replaced the shoulder straps with leather ones to hold up better. For my lighter stuff I use an Eberlestock X1. Of course if I'm following elk through the timber or still hunting whitetails in the river bottoms I'm carrying my rifle in my hand.

IMG_1286.jpg

Drag Bagged Buck.....grin!! One shot at 470 meters.

scan0022-1.jpg

Some of us like hunting with our tactical rifles....doesnt mean we dont know how to get up a critter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carried my 17lb 7WSM in my Eberlestock Phantom on a elk hunt in CO. Worked out well. </div></div>

+1! I also caried a 16+ pound rifle in my eberlestock X1. Plus a compact spotter,extra jacket,food, water etc....

Worked out REAL well!

Gunslinger II - great pack! I have loaded mine with either a 18" scoped AR or a Rem 700 22" - both have plenty of room.

Both of my light weight rigs wt in around 13 lbs - Rifle, Scope, Ammo and Can
grin.gif

Well at least we all agree on the eberlestock.While I dont get the heavy hunting gun, I did apologize for the better hunter comment.PGS great muleys. Long range....breathe
smile.gif

GAPNT308004.jpg

This is the rifle I carry when I hunt sheep and or mountain game.7.5 lbs. ready to go...GAP .308.

09bearhunt012.jpg

Black Bear I shot with it last spring here in Montana..

PGS- Beautiful Mulies!!! Thats high on my to do list would love to hunt mulies one day!

Take Care!

scan0009-9.jpg

One from a few years ago..

scan0001.jpg

Same buck in the field...I will post up a pic of my X1 pack geared up...

X1pack003.jpg

X1pack002.jpg

X1 front and back loaded...there's room for spotter, tripod, rain gear, lunch, quart bottle, ammo etc...great unit for a long day hunt. Not big enough for an overnighter. The rifle shown in it has a 26" barrel, with a Harris 6X9 bipod, and weighs about 11.5 pounds.(another GAP .308) Very easy to carry as the shoulder straps are well padded as well as the waistband.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

scan0001.jpg

</div></div>

magnumPI.jpg

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is the rifle I carry when I hunt sheep and or mountain game.7.5 lbs. ready to go...GAP .308.

09bearhunt012.jpg

Black Bear I shot with it last spring here in Montana.. </div></div>

What stock and barrel contour is on that 308? Thanks for the pic of the pack, how handy is it to get you rifle out if you need it?

Mcmillan Remington hunter stock(GAP Camo)
Surgeon action
Bartlein "Bull Sporter" BBL.

Its not bad to get out without taking off the pack but I try to take the pack off, then remove it. Havent had to "yank it" out yet but you could..To me it serves as a way to transport the rifle and keep both hands free.

Good unit, well made.

This year I hunted with a 700 sps varmint that Roscoe cut down to 20"s, with a sniper fill Mcm A5, when he cut the 6" off the barrel, it just made it more handy for the brush we have here. The rifle is still a great shooter and it is short and carries great. I say go for it, if that is what you are comfortable with, and you can carry it. Personally I went back to a BDL bottom metal because the CDI bottom metal seemed to get hung in vines and would drop the mag, in the thickest shit possible and I would have to go back and get it. Just something to think about, I don't know what the terrain is like where you hunt, but here we have some thick brush, so that is what has worked for me. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carried my 17lb 7WSM in my Eberlestock Phantom on a elk hunt in CO. Worked out well. </div></div>

+1! I also caried a 16+ pound rifle in my eberlestock X1. Plus a compact spotter,extra jacket,food, water etc....

Worked out REAL well! </div></div>

Shit Bro, what didnt we carry along? lol!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shit Bro, what didnt we carry along? lol!!!!! </div></div>

grin.gif

I say take whatever you want. I dont own a gun that weighs less then 12#, but I dont mind taking the long shot, it is the long pack out with the extra weight of the animal that gets me everytime, especially if you know you are gonna have to make a couple trips. This is where I employ selective shooting.

X1pack003.jpg

X1pack002.jpg

X1 front and back loaded...there's room for spotter, tripod, rain gear, lunch, quart bottle, ammo etc...great unit for a long day hunt. Not big enough for an overnighter. The rifle shown in it has a 26" barrel, with a Harris 6X9 bipod, and weighs about 11.5 pounds.(another GAP .308) Very easy to carry as the shoulder straps are well padded as well as the waistband. </div></div>

If you still have the rifle, as it fits, in the X1 pack, can you please take a couple of measurements? Can you please measure the tallest spot from the top of the elevation turret to the bottom of the stock at it's lowest point, in front of the pistol grip. Also, could you please measure how wide and deep the scabbard is. My tactical rifle has an AICS stock with a NF 5.5-22x50. So I need to not only worry about how high a rifle is buy how wide it can be between the left and right turrets.

Alan

Alan,

The measurements are: max width, 4"(from parallax knob to windage turret)
top to bottom:8"(elevation turret to bottom of pistol grip)
The rifle pouch on the pack is 33" deep.

Hope this helps....Pat

It is amazing the equipment that is available these days. I am learing a lot on this forum. When I say these days, I was born just before WW II ended. And was issued an M1 in the Navy back in 1968.
smile.gif

Pat,

Yes, it does help. My Surgeon w/ it's 26" barrel just hits 33" at the front of the pistol grip. So length will work.

My rifle's NF parallax to windage turret is 3-1/2" but am worried about the KMW bolt handle with parallax knob to bolt handle is 4-1/2". The handle is 32" from muzzle, so maybe it won't matter. What is the width and breath of the scabbard if you please? My rifle is 7-1/2' tall, top of elev turret to bottom of trigger guard, just in front of the pistol grip.

It may be too tight a fit and I would have to go with the Gunslinger II.

Alan

X1pack005.jpg

X1pack006.jpg

Alan, here's a couple more pics that should help you out....this rifle is my Surgeon .308, 26" mtu bbl. 5X25 S&B PMII...rifle has a KMW bolt handle also....Mac A5 stock.

Thanks for the pics! Your use of this setup is when you are hiking in to the area where you are going to hunt?

Exactly!! A good way to get your rifle up the mountain...

Here is my Rem 700 w/ 26" Lilja ss barrel in 30-06AI w/ a Leupy Mk 4 4.5-14x50 w/ M1 dials w/ a Utah spike elk I took Oct 2007 @ just over 11,000'. Rifle weighs 7-1/2 lbs all up. In the Eberlestock J107 Firefly is a 100 oz H20 bladder (mostly full due to temps in the teens and no neoprene cover on the drinking tube=frozen). Also, as you can see is all the neck meat, full rib cages and back straps, basic hunting gear to include spotting scope/K&K tripod.

20071006Spikeexit.jpg

Like Eberlestock says "go in light, come out heavy".
MewithelkribscomingoftheHighTop.jpg

MewithelkribscomingofHighTop2.jpg

Back at the truck w/ my new hunting partner.
MeandChristian2007HighTopelkhunt.jpg

I've carried a 28" barreled rifle in the gunslinger and a 25". The 28 incher seemed off balance and rocking back and forth I'd say just get the eberlestock gunslinger and get ALL your particulars and rifle packed in and go for a decent hike to see what works and what doesn't before you take it to 11000.

Damn it PGS, there you go with the pics again, knowing we cant go after cervids for another 5 months.

Gee I must be the only wimp here. I'm too old and lazy to put that crap on my back.

Pete.JPG

Eberlestock has a few different packs that would fit your application(s). Personally, I agree with some of the previous posters and give a hard look at the Gunslinger II. The scabbard dimensions are more than adequate for your rifle and the pack's internal dimensions and layout would work well for the kind of hunting you want to do. My second choice would be the X1A1 (like the one pictured in this thread) as it's scabbard, while not as wide as that used with the Gunslinger II, should work for your rig and the capacity is perfect for a hunter who won't be packing overnight supplies.

Hope this helps. There are also numerous Eberlestock accessories that might be of interest that won't dramatically impact the overall weight of your pack. I can help you out if you need anything Eberlestock (shameless plug but I am a dealer).

Best of luck to you.

My custom .308 weighs 18#, my 6.5-.284 weighs 14#.I've killed a many Missouri Whitetails from stands and shooting houses from 30 to 339 yds. with the same effect. They never realized how much the rifle(s) weighed...From a rest, I trust the weight. Not so much from point and shoot....how often does that happen, though, maybe stumbling to my/our stand, by accident?

Re: Hunting w/ your tact rifle, packing it n your

Thought I'd show you folks my new Gunslinger II in conjunction with my 16 lb, 26" Surgeon with NF 5.5-22x50 and Harris Bipod.

Right out of the box; Hollywood style
100_3011.jpg

Scabbard barrel extension tucked in
100_3012.jpg

Scabbard barrel extension rolled out from "tucked in" position.
100_3013.jpg

Scabbard opening; CAVERNOUS!!!! Buckles are covered to keep them from scratching rifle.
100_3014.jpg

Surgeon inserted into scabbard.
100_3015.jpg

Loaded with blankets to show full size
100_3020.jpg

Rifle in scabbard front
100_3018.jpg

Rifle in scabbard back
100_3017.jpg

Scabbard opening with rifle
100_3016.jpg

Fully loaded standing up in corner with butt hood on