• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with a .338 Lapua

hunter223

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Odessa Tx
Could somebody post some pics of animals shot with either .338 Lapua or .338 Norma? I plan on hunting some larger game at pretty decent ranges and am curious about on game performance at extended ranges. I am about to start a build on one of these cartridges and would like some pics of different animals. If you have some post em up and plz include range, bullet type/weight, and animal species/~ weight.

Thanks!!!

Re: Hunting with a .338 Lapua

i would talk to Rob aka "vti" and Mike "oneshot976 or 967"

these guys both have killer Patriot Arms 338 lapuas, and will guide you in the right direction

Here's a nice Antelope I shot last year with a PAI .338LM

Only 420yds, fairly easy shot but there was some gusting wind. 300gr SMK, perfect results.

Web_IMG_9648.jpg

Nice goat VTI, how do the big 338's do at farther ranges on larger game, ie Elk?

let my buddy use my armalite to put down a antelope doe at 500. She was laying down and the only movement was her head dropping to the ground after the shot. 300gr. SMK's right behind the shoulder, slightly angled so bullet clipped the off shoulder blade. Serious tissue laying on other side of goat. Sorry, no pics. fun stuff but loud as hell!!!

Just from a numbers stand point, the 338's hold alot of energy down range and start off with more than most africa bullets. I'd say Its good for just about anything.

I've killed a doe at 550yds and watched another die shortly after to a 338 lap imp. The phrase shock and awe comes to mind.

A LOT of guys on longrangehunting.com use a 338 300gr smk for elk etc.

I was hunting deer when this pup presented itself at 480 yards. Just trying to help out on the deer population. The 300 SMK did it's work.

AZone09003.jpg

Exit wound

AZone09004.jpg

AZone09005.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_1209.jpg

880 meters with a 250 grain Scenar. October 2008. </div></div>

Nice goat!!! Good shootin. Did it just whallop the crap outta him kinda like a 270/7mm mag on a whitetail at about where it knocks 'em flat? Or, was the antelope able to take the impact pretty well? I'm sure I sound retarded asking these things just no first hand experience with big rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hunting deer when this pup presented itself at 480 yards. Just trying to help out on the deer population. The 300 SMK did it's work.
</div></div>

That is a good looking exit wound.

I've killed several javelina with 300gr SMK's and they looked like someone had tried to cut them in half with a machete. Last few years on days that I have hunted with my .338 Lapua I haven't seen a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter223,
Here is a link to a video of my 1080 kill on a whitetail last year. I think this will give you an idea on what type of energy the Lapua makes at extended ranges.

Hope it helps and good luck,

Oneshot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyOtb6ycLY

</div></div>

pretty good wallop i'd say. I think it should be sufficient for some Elk next fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter223,
Here is a link to a video of my 1080 kill on a whitetail last year. I think this will give you an idea on what type of energy the Lapua makes at extended ranges.

Oneshot

</div></div>

pretty good wallop i'd say. I think it should be sufficient for some Elk next fall. </div></div>

Hunter,you gotta try it THIS Fall,Elk seasons are not here yet,you can still get an OTC tag in WA state,maybe a couple of others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunter223,

Oneshot

</div></div>

pretty good wallop i'd say. I think it should be sufficient for some Elk next fall. </div></div>

Hunter,you gotta try it THIS Fall,Elk seasons are not here yet,you can still get an OTC tag in WA state,maybe a couple of others. </div></div>

I would but, I can't right now because of work and, I am working on the 338 lapua

223, The 250 Scenar left a grapefruit sized exit through the ribcage...needless to say he went down right there and never moved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223, The 250 Scenar left a grapefruit sized exit through the ribcage...needless to say he went down right there and never moved. </div></div>

dang that round sure has some horsepower! I think it'll be more than enough for some elk at 800-1000. that, or a norma still contemplating which
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">too,too much. hunt with .338 LM.? for what elephants? </div></div>

Umm Elk, from a loooong ways off
wink.gif

PGS the antelope is cool but not nearly as cool as the camo job on your weapon. Give some details

ttam, That was a friends rifle who was along on the hunt. He had the rifle wrapped in some sort of camo tape...I'll try to find out what is was...I've since had my own .338LM built(Surgeon-GAP) and will be reporting back this fall on how it worked for elk, deer and antelope.

Anyone know what a 300 smk does at say 80-150yds? we have been having a discussion at work, some say it will totaly come apart and might not work well. my thought is with that much energy it would not matter much? talking about whitetail. Our intention is a long shot but if a big buck shows himself close what would happen?

At the speeds that the 300's are moving I don't know that its would matter if it were a solid or turned into bird shot on impact. I think DRT is DRT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many serious .338LM shooters use factory only ammo? </div></div>

Rich ones...not me LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many serious .338LM shooters use factory only ammo? </div></div>

Rich ones...not me LOL. </div></div>

Funny but true.....

Ok, I'm the guy from work "Operator45" was talking about. I'm just a little nervous about the SMK's because I shot at 3 different large body bucks with my 7mm mag at 75 to 125 yards and it didn't even knock them down. I believe that it just fragmented and didn't penetrate deep enough. (could this be true or did I miss?) I later shot a deer at 470 and it worked perfectly (jumped up and then dropped with a nice exit hole). I know that the 338 are twice as heavy plus 400 fps slower the way I have them loaded, so they shouldn't come apart as easy, but to be on the safe side has anyone shot them at close range on deer? I just don't want to make the same mistake again with them.

Face, I'd not worry about what a SMK does if you are launching it @ deer from a .338LM. I have a suspicion it will well and truly f*%#k up a deers day at any of the ranges you have mentioned!

I am actually considering moving away from the .338 Lapua because it is so powerful. I think it will just destroy deer at any of the ranges I'll be able to shoot them at and for elk, I'll only get to go once a year so I dunno....

Hunter, perhaps look at either of the 7mm or 30cal magnums. I like the ballistics of a 162 AMAX @ + 3000fps or the 208gr AMAX at + 2900fps. Does not give up much in terms of wind drift but tames down the carnage I would think.

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Face</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'm the guy from work "Operator45" was talking about. I'm just a little nervous about the SMK's because I shot at 3 different large body bucks with my 7mm mag at 75 to 125 yards and it didn't even knock them down. I believe that it just fragmented and didn't penetrate deep enough. (could this be true or did I miss?) I later shot a deer at 470 and it worked perfectly (jumped up and then dropped with a nice exit hole). I know that the 338 are twice as heavy plus 400 fps slower the way I have them loaded, so they shouldn't come apart as easy, but to be on the safe side has anyone shot them at close range on deer? I just don't want to make the same mistake again with them. </div></div>

Back in the Dark Ages,I used to hunt with a 300 Weatherby Mag,wanted to shoot a deer across a clear-cut at 500yds(then haul it out,LMFAO),instead,I spotted a huge Blacktail at 100yds,uphill.I was using a Weatherby factory 165gr softpoint,I went for the Lung shot area,it dropped right there,not one step.After I dragged it out and got the hide off,there was no exit,actually,it blew up in the buck like a varmint bullet,the blood shot shock zone covered half the deer under the hide,ruined a lot of meat on one front quarter,I would much rather shoot one with a large bullet that passes through.Think a 338 Lapua is Big? Try a .54 cal BP at close range.