• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting with an AR?

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
I’ve always hunted with bolt actions, but I like the weight and length of my 18” 6mm ARC. I think it would make an ideal deer hunting rifle from my box blind or tree stands.

Anyone prefer their AR to a bolt action for hunting?

For pigs? AR every time…. Usually an AR15 chambered in 6.8, but often my .308 AR10.

If I happen to have one of those on me in deer season, and an opportunity presents itself, a great venison harvesting tool too, but honestly prefer one of the bolt guns for that. Lately my re-barreled HNT 26 chassis with a 16” Proof barrel; also in .308.

Light + more portable > more accuracy for 99% of the shots I take in the Tejas scrub brush. Minute of pig works for my needs.

For deer, I typically only get one shot off before they all scatter anyway; even suppressed.

65307241300__19F69988-7CC7-4C65-B85C-76952A8617E6.jpeg

I use this one..Texas deer are small as shit

I don't hunt much, but when I do I insist on using an AR just to do my part in changing the fuddlore perception of them as unsuitable for anything beyond mass casualty events.
I think most of the hard-core anti AR hunters are either dying off or getting outnumbered enough to stop making a stink about "weapons of war!" in the woods.

I’ve always hunted with bolt actions, but I like the weight and length of my 18” 6mm ARC. I think it would make an ideal deer hunting rifle from my box blind or tree stands.

I used to shoot coyotes out in nevada with a 22-250 bolt action and a 223 AR was like cheating. Here in arizona I'd happily take my 223 AR for javelina.

I throw mine in the back of a car with the safety off as well. I was wondering if I was the only smart one around. Takes too much time to flip that switch
Me too! (Well I don’t throw it🤓) Of course the mag is out and the hammer has been lowered. Therefore I can’t put the safety on. I may stop lowering the hammer since you have to remember to put safety on when you reload for the next hunt.
BTW, I use 300blk and 6.5 Grendel ARs suppressed.

Reactions: mtrmn
Shot my biggest buck with an AR. Stalking in the deep woods and killed it with one shot. I mostly hunt with an AR because of pigs but bring out the bolt gun too whenever I feel nostalgic

Reactions: General RE LEE
Me too! (Well I don’t throw it🤓) Of course the mag is out and the hammer has been lowered. Therefore I can’t put the safety on. I may stop lowering the hammer since you have to remember to put safety on when you reload for the next hunt.
Wrong person on previous reply. Deleted

My opinion would be depends on where you hunt, what’s all in season during the hunt, and what you would take as a target of opportunity if the game you are pursuing isn’t showing up and you get bored. I’m mainly a bow hunter for deer because honestly using a gun just isn’t fair here in Ohio. Iv had multiple times where Iv dropped a deer with my Mathew’s and it’s so quiet other deer around kinda just look around like why did ol Nancy just freak out and been able to grab another arrow and take a second. I also will go out for gun season just prefer bow. If we had more hogs here I’d probably use a gun more often just to help thin them out. If we were able to use anything other than straight wall cartridges for deer I would definitely take one of my ar’s out. Do what makes you happy, it’s your hunt and your meat you’re harvesting. I would not recommend using ar’s as a group during a deer drive. Shit happens people aren’t always lined up and a few dudes slinging multiple rounds at a running deer knowing you’re gonna be close to the game animal most likely is a no go for me. Sorry for the long post.

I took two buck's this year with my ruger SFAR 308 , prior to that the last 4 years I have used a 224 valkyrie with 90 grain fusions , 7 shots fired and seven dead deer .prior to that I have killed deer with 300 blackout super-sonic and sub sonic using an 8.5 inch pistol , 18 inch Remington bolt action and a mini 14 in 300 blackout , A 458 socom , 16 inch colt carbine 5.56 and a 308 M1A . As far as I am concerned the ar is an excellent rifle for deer in multiple calibers .

I started using them a lot when grandchildren started hunting. The collapsible stock and light recoil are great. Only one deer needed the semi auto function - an 8yr old was able to get off two shots to kill a buck. 3 grandchildren and I killed a total of 6 deer with my suppressed ARs this year.

I was a long time handgun hunter, revolvers and single shots. I love hunting with classic old hunting rifles, 94s and 99s, Rem Model 8's, sporterized Krags. I love single shot rifles and have many. I deer hunt with buffalo rifles and dangerous game rounds. I love hunting with old military rifles. I'm the type of guy who hunts with a flintlock in the regular rifle season.

Which is why it pains me to admit how much I like hunting with the AR. It's all practical, I don't care about them, if they get beat up, if they get wet, caked in snow. And the pistol grip and adjustable stock are amazing for bulky winter clothes, and shooting from odd reclined positions.

Last edited:
I have some concerns of the 6mm ARC putting whitetail deer down quick like the 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve got good loads with the 108 grain ELDM.

I know of at least one other person who can deer hunt with a 6 ARC, one he built up from CMMG.

I have seen people hunting hogs with .223 fro a helicopter.

I have an AR-10 in .308 that could hunt deer.

You can use different calibers. Windham Weaponry had a semi-auto (that's the only style of rifle they make and yes, they are back in business) in .450 Bush Master called the 450 Thumper and that one is built from the factory with the Magpul PRS Gen III adjustable stock. On average, good to about 200 yards or less. Great for a stand or blind or any densely forested area.

1708816516197.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't hunt much, but when I do I insist on using an AR just to do my part in changing the fuddlore perception of them as unsuitable for anything beyond mass casualty events.
I think most of the hard-core anti AR hunters are either dying off or getting outnumbered enough to stop making a stink about "weapons of war!" in the woods.
I don't hunt with anything but an AR in 308.......a rare occasion a lever in 357 just cause it's fun

I have some concerns of the 6mm ARC putting whitetail deer down quick like the 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve got good loads with the 108 grain ELDM.
Ive put a bunch of whiteys and hogs down with the Grendel. The arc is more than capable. if you're shooting inside a few hundred yards, shoot with confidence.

And I have been invited, when I can swing the schedule, to go hog hunting. And I will be taking my AR-10 in .308 W. And borrowing a thermal because I am a poor.

Don’t entertain the fud that doesn’t know how the gun works..he’s transitioning from flint lock

I haven’t used a bolt gun to deer hunt in close to a decade. The last time I had a bolt gun on a hunt, it was a 17hmr that I brought along to take out some resident squirrels.

AR15 16" 6.5 grendel does great on midwest deer. Good up to 250yds 300yds for large game. 123sst.
Note. My old man no longer takes his bolt gun, the carbine is smaller and lighter.

16" 69smk does ok, never had a blood trail but drops them quickly. 1 doe, 1 large buck around 200lb.

6.5 Creedmoor, dozen does and a few bucks out to 450yds harvested.

Used my LMT MWS in 6.5cm last coues deer hunt. Found a good factory load that shoots MOA out of my 20" SS barrel, Barnes 127gr VOR-TX LR. Have not found a really good hunting round for my .308 20" SS barrel but have not stopped looking.

Now for elk I am a bolt action fan. :)

6.5G

nthrfC7.jpg

I've killed deer with ARs in several calibers, but went to a Henry X-Model in 30-30 a few years ago for 2 reasons: 1, it's very quiet suppressed, and 2, stuck with it because I haven't had to track a deer yet shot with it. All have been DRT.

Thats more about shot placement than cartridge choice. You can DRT a deer with a .22lr or one can run 100+ yards shot by a 300 win mag.
I saw a hunt on a elk at about 100 yards with a 7 Rem Mag that took three shots. In that case, it was just a lot of material to get destroyed.