• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting with cast boolits

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
My dad and I were trading emails about shooting stuff with cast boolits. I was commenting that I've begun to take my 170gr gas checked hard lead loads for my 30-30 into the woods this year.

I mentioned it a few months back that I was thinking about it and a number of posts both here and comments from other places told me I was irresponsible and not cleanly killing game.

He gave me a run down of the deer he's killed with cast lead (7/8) of them were from a suppressed 44 wildcat. Take it for what it's worth, just something to keep in mind when the discussion of which caliber is best and what bullet is best and what is needed to kill a deer.

The key thing I think he's saying is that you need to have the ability to place a shot, not pull the trigger and hope for the best.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ME:</span>
I think it's funny that people spout off about how you can't kill a 100lb thin skinned deer with anything less than 3500 ft lb of energy bullet going mach 3 when the American Buffalo is all but extinct from barely sonic cast lead bullets.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Dad</span><span style="font-style: italic">If that's the case, you can post a note for discussion for the guys who condemn the use of cast lead bullets for hunting. All eight of my last deer taken on this property after we moved were all killed with hard cast lead.

The first deer I killed here was a doe, taken during fall muzzleloader season. I fired hard cast lead from my flintlock on that doe. Mainly because I didn't have pure lead for casting, so I made it from wheel weights that very afternoon. Dropped a couple of bullets into water, dried them off, and took off into the woods. The bullet was a 50 cal Minie. I recovered the slug from the doe, seriously mangled. It fully engaged the rifling, didn't hit a single bone, and still mashed up very uniformly on the muscle tissue it encountered. Fired with only 60 grains of powder, it still traversed the long ways through the body from left ass cheek to stopping under the fur in the right shoulder. That deer didn't flee more than 10 yards. I was actually astonished to see it go down so quickly.

The day I got that first deer on our new property was a memorable day for me. That day I also received in the mail my approved paperwork for building my first ever silencer. So I decided right then and there that my deer hunting would be my proving ground for evaluating and developing my subsonic loads. All remaining 7 deer taken here were shot with subsonic 44kunz ammo which I was intentionally testing because I wanted to know how my ammo was going to perform on living targets. All 460 grain hard cast lead 44 caliber bullets, all the same round nosed, with gas check base, turned by hand on the lathe, all doing 950 fps +/- about 20 fps at most as I was hand weighing each charge. The lead was made by melting 20 lbs of wheel weights in my LEE pot, and adding 2 Kool Aid scoops of Magnum #4 shot.

OK, the second animal was a shoulder shot. It collapsed where it stood, pretty much dying instantly. The slug broke both shoulders. I didn't recover that bullet. It passed right through the deer. With two broken shoulders it couldn't get away if it wanted to, but I don't think it ever knew what hit it. Blood was just pulsing out of both shoulder wounds from having the apex of the heart shattered, and frothing out of the nose and the mouth. When I cut that one open to field dress it, it was like an anatomy lesson. The heart and lungs looked like a traffic accident.

4 of the next six were head shots, and they simply fell right in their tracks. One animal was grazing and still had greens in its mouth. In all cases the bullet passed clean through the skull. Nothing too notable about the wounds other than the fact that the exit wounds were not much bigger than the entrance wounds, so not a great deal of expansion too place. In fact, last year's buck was a really impressive lesson in penetration. The slug entered below the right eye in the thick bone, exited under the left eye, and all but cut the deer's face off.

One of the remaining two was I'm guessing a liver area shot. The deer took a step just as I fired, and the slug went through the rib area just behind the shoulders. That was the one I never recovered. It hid under a pine tree only 30 feet away and bled out while I was searching for it in vain that evening and again the next day. We had no dog then to help find the carcass as Nelson had just died. Cooper found it in April. That was Cooper's puppy year. We'd let him out to go pee, and he kept going out in the woods and coming right back with pieces of decaying fur/leg/bones until I followed him and found the mostly skeletalized remains. Bullet injuries on both ribs confirmed that slug also went right through. Fact is though, that one died within 30 feet of where it was hit, and I walked within 5 feet of it and didn't see it when I was looking for it.

The last deer was the one where I planned ahead for the shot. On that one I took a shot on the 7pt buck, it had a nice rack, and I wanted the intact skull to hang in the shop. So I calculated a spine shot in the shoulder area so as not to ruin the skull trophy I was planning, and got it. That bullet acted like a cookie cutter and shaped round notch right though the spine and it went down where it stood also.

So my experience over the last five hunting seasons was eight rounds on eight deer and eight virtually instant kills on every one. By contrast, the first deer I ever killed as an adult after college, was taken with my Springfield .30-'06, using Federal factory ammo , 150 grain soft pointed bullets, because that was all they had at Food Lane. I took a shoulder shot on that deer, hit the heart, and it ran out of sight and had to be tracked to recover it. In fact, I worked harder to recover every deer I ever shot with modern ammo a lot harder than deer I killed with my custom 44kunz with hard cast lead bullets.

So if you know how to shoot, and I know at least *you* do, there is no reason to feel worried that your bullets won't perform. High powered rifles with Superman Killer bullets were designed so any moron who doesn't practice can be sure they are going to kill their deer. Real hunters who practice their craft and take only clear shots can still put meat on the table with one shot and melted down wheel weights.

Dad</span>

Re: hunting with cast boolits

My father in law loaded up some 196 gr. GC 30 cals around 1800 fps. I've been tempted to shoot them with the '03A3 at something close.

I finished off my doe this year with a .44 280 gr. at 1090 fps from about 30 yards and it sailed right thru her. I like the spinal "cookie cutter" as one of mine did the same. I also put a shot thru the lungs and it went off on it's merry way as well. There is some amazing penetration to be found with the broad meplat hard cast bullets. The internal damage was impressive as well.

I've shot 170's from the 06 with Unique around 1750-1800 and they are really nice to shoot actually. Practically no recoil and cheaper than dirt to shoot. I'd like to see how they perform on something when you get one with it.

I use 405 gr soft cast Lee hollow base bullets, sized in a 45 acp die(.452"), then paper patched with 8 lb typewriter paper.(Do they still sell the stuff? One pack has lasted me 15 yrs, and its only 1/2 gone.) My Marlin 45-70 likes Elmer Keith's elk load--53 gr 3031, at about 1850 fps. Hit a deer in the shoulder once, and the shoulder was ground bone meal. Deer fell where it stood up in the laurels. Found the bullet on the leaves, under the deer, 352 gr left, mushroomed. I waterproof the paper patch with Lee liquid Alox. No leading at all.

Good to hear that we're not the only ones.

My dad is resurrecting a 450/577 Martini Henry and his goal is to take a deer with that this year. DOM is 1880's IIRC, he's got this thing for a "100y blood revival" LOL.

Load is a 405gr Lee bullet sized to 458 and patched atop 80 grains of black.

That 45-70 load sounds pretty good, I might have to send some of those downrange one of these days.

Would like to work up a load for my .30/40 Krag. Barrel is not so great and I feel like i could improve accuracy by using a vcast .310 or so bullet at about 1700-1800fps. any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

hard cast lead bullets are good hunting rounds. i have had clean kills on deer and pigs with my 41 and 44 mag pistols. I have a new 44 mag carbine that needs blood on it. Its loaded with 310 gr Lee flat nose bullets. It should do just fine at about 1200 fps.

The best part of using a true hard cast bullet, is that you can literally eat right up to the bullet hole. It does very little damage to the meat.

Oh and my 45/70 encore is a real pig slayer. It cuts through those pigs like butter with a 360 gr flat nose.

Just so you folks know as I don't want anyone getting hurt. You don't cast boolits, you shoot them and cast lures and bait. Jeez whats this place comn to? Eager to see your pops rig in a big way!!

While I have cast a lot of PISTOL bullets. I have yet to shoot anything but jacketed in my rifles. (44 mag Winchester 94 and 50 cal muzzle loader excluded ). But that doesn't mean they aren't good bullets.

While I was still able to work I had 2 friends that used cast bullets in 30-06 and one in 270 and they had filled their game tags every year.

One used the 30-06 & lead bullets for all larger game. Including eastern black bear and wild hogs. I don't remember exactly which bullet exactly he used. But I'm pretty sure it was between 200 and 220 grains.

Hey, as long as you gas check them and know what loads to use, go for it. I have been told stories of hunting during the great depression when deer and black bear were taken with 22LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 405 gr soft cast Lee hollow base bullets, sized in a 45 acp die(.452"), then paper patched with 8 lb typewriter paper.(Do they still sell the stuff? One pack has lasted me 15 yrs, and its only 1/2 gone.) My Marlin 45-70 likes Elmer Keith's elk load--53 gr 3031, at about 1850 fps. Hit a deer in the shoulder once, and the shoulder was ground bone meal. Deer fell where it stood up in the laurels. Found the bullet on the leaves, under the deer, 352 gr left, mushroomed. I waterproof the paper patch with Lee liquid Alox. No leading at all. </div></div>

I'd like to hear more about the paper patching. My dad has been talking about trying it with an old Martini Henry he got a few months back. The 450/577 round must hold 120gr of water, enormous bastard.

DiGGer, shoot me a PM, I might be able to help you out with some Krag loads, I think it's in my Lyman cast bullet hand book. Do you have access to a way to cast them? Before we do anything with working up loads you're going to need to slug the barrel so the bullets are appropriately sized.

1800 fps rifle trajectories IS casting bullets... cast fishing lures... (I admit it, I made shad darts once)...