• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting with my AXMC

Covertnoob5

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    SoCal
    UPDATED WITH NEW SETUP CONSIDERATIONS:

Guys I just wanted give you a little more updated info if you’re considering a setup like this. I’ve acquired and used new packs since the original write up.

In all honesty if I could do it again instead of the warhammer I would go with the Eberlestock f1 mainframe combined with their batwing accessory pounces
    Or
    The F1 mainframe with the f2 transformer pack.
    Reason being is as follows:

I got the F1 with transformer for my hunting buddy and he uses a traditional rifle with the kifaru gun bearer and the reason I would go this way if I could do it over, is because upon killing the animal, the first pack out you can take some meat with all your gear back to the truck, then dump the batwings or f2 transformer pack to shed weight and only have to carry the mainframe back in to get the rest of the meat.
    With the warhammer I can’t shed the weight so I’m carrying all my gear back and forth.

Also of note: IF YOURE ATTEMPTING TO CARRY AN 18+ lbs rifle (AXMC or similar, my AXMC as pictured in this hunt was at 19.2 lbs on a luggage scale)
    I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MYSTERY RANCH CABINET. For the sole reason that I find the Hip belt and load lifters better for carrying massive weight. Again though, you can’t unzip and detach some of the weight like you can with the F1 and an added pack.

Hey guys, wanted to share my experience hunting with my AXMC in case anyone was thinking about doing something similar, or was just genuinely curious about how it might go.

I was invited on a hunting trip with a friend over Christmas weekend. Now, last minute trips are usually the ones that turn into shit shows because nothing is ready, and if you’’re like me half your gear is being tinkered with and the other half hasn’t been used in a while so you just hope it works.
    So I got all my gear ready, went to reach for my SRS Covert (usually I hunt with that rifle) and realized I hadn’t zeroed it. We were going to leave in a couple days and the ranges were closed so no dice on a last minute zero. Then I looked over at my AXMC and thought, “well it can’t be that bad it’s only 5 pounds heavier than my SRS.” So I packed it up, and instantly started kicking myself thinking, “Hey idiot this is what you get for messing with your gear all the time.” “Now you get to lug around what’s probably one of the heaviest guns ever hunted with as a penance.” (A little tongue in cheek, but still heavy as a cows ass) I used a lot more inappropriate language, but you get the point. Plus it was now past the point of no return so off we went.

We left Thursday the 21st and arrived that evening to where we would set up camp. We felt the cold as soon as we got there and I knew in the morning that rifle was going to get cold. And to top it off, I had forgotten my gloves. Last minute trips, IÂ’ll tell ya.

So now ItÂ’s Friday morning and what's shaping up to be a beautiful day to be out looking for boar.

I get my rifle out of the case and am reminded of the boat anchor I’m about to lug up and down these hills for the next 4 Miles. I tell myself “suck it up, you brought this on yourself” and off we go.

As a quick side note, I had my pack set up to carry my SRS which is still heavier than traditional hunting rifles, so that worked out in my favor. IÂ’ll get to my setup a little later.

So anyway, we start walking and glassing and walking and glassing and lo and behold there's pigs!!! But they are about 4k yards away and going away from us. No dice on catching those guys. So we keep walking.
    It's cold, but a good cold. The kind of cold that feels refreshing and wakes you up. Makes you realize you're in God's country enjoying a beauty not everyone gets to see.

6ef1375c894ef3d7c2a20e38b2aa94a4.jpg

We get to one of our usual stoping spots on top of a large hill where we can see a full 360 degrees below us. We glass for a bit and then I realize something quite startling, I hadn't felt the weight of my rifle at all!!
    We're about 1-1.5 Miles in already, going up and down and up and down this terrain like a six flags rollercoaster and I havent felt the weight at all. I thought to myself no way, must be adrenaline from seeing the pigs earlier or something. After we scan for a bit we decided to push forward to the next big hilltop.

We get to that hill and rinse and repeat our methods. Scanning and scanning. Then we decide to push even further which would put us out the furthest we've gone. Off we go. Determined.

828d0c8e205e8c49cebd7b2b4a7b8d07.jpg

6b3a9019d114b3a4efa1afaf7ca2f4d0.jpg

We get there and setup shop. By this time we've doubled what we usually cover when hunting this area and I'm fine carrying the big ol AI. I sit there and think, "I'll be damned, this gear set up might actually be working."

Now the gear I was using for those wondering, is the Eberlestock Warhammer pack with the new Intex II frame and the butt bucket attached to the hip belt on the right side. I carry the AXMC with the stock folded in the butt bucket. And wrap the provided lash around the hand guard so I can effectively hike with hands free.

We sit at the top of the hill for hours, waiting, watching, and waiting some more. And then I discovered that not only is the Warhammer a great multi-use pack, but it's also a great chair! While wearing the pack, just sit down as lean back. The shape of the frame really acts as a great backstop.

As the hours get on we concede that we won't be getting a porker that day. So we head back. When we got to camp, yea I was tired but nothing compared to what I thought I would be with having to carry the AXMC.

We went out the next morning covering the same ground as the previous day and it yields us the same results. No pigs.

Unfortunately it wasn't a successful hunt, but that was ok. It was a great experience to see that the gear setup worked.

A few take aways with the rifle:

A) because it was cold all the metal parts on the rifle got pretty cold. And without gloves it sucks, but I also noticed that AI put plactic pieces on most everything you typically touch when shooting. So even though the rifle was cold I didn't feel it much. Very well thought out.

B) the action runs and runs. No matter how much gritty dust got in it from the wind it cycled.

C) there's just something badass about carrying around the AXMC in general. It has a quality that oozes confidence. I've had my mag fall out on my DTA a couple hunting trips ago. No chance of that with this rifle.

And more than that, it was actually ok carrying the AXMC. I truly believe I'd do it again. Yea maybe it's not for everyone, but I do know I have the utmost confidence in the rifle and if there was one rifle I had to bet my life on it's this one. I'm well aware I'm only hunting not tactically operating in a tactical operation in a tactical area; but I don't want to have a big buck, pig, elk, or anything else ready to go in the freezer only to have a rifle failure at the most important moment.

ETA: hey guys so a couple questions people had for me.

I was shooting in 300WM this particular trip. With that much open space I want to make sure I’ve got enough lead for a longer shot.

Next, yes those are Home Depot wooden dowels as leg extensions. I had to make my since no one makes them for the 5H. If I remember correctly they are the ones about 15†in length and 3/4†wide. I had to file down the end that goes in the 5H leg just a little to get it to fit. And the other end I just sharpened so it would catch in ground.
    Got the inspiration from a great member who did this for the regular atlas and someone linked the thread here a couple posts down.
    Reason I went with wooden dowels is if I forget them or break them or something it’s all of $2 I’m leaving out there so not a big deal.

And someone asked where this was, this was out here in California. We have the shittiest gun laws but lots of open beautiful space to use the toys they do let us have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    I wish we had wide open space like that to hunt in around here. Hill country trees and south texas scrub make hiking and scanning pretty much impossible. Have yall tried calling coyotes out there?

I pack my AXMC into the back country regularly as well. I run the Eberlestock Phantom and when things are snugged up it really is not a big deal. Failure at THE critical moment with a particular rifle system on Bull Elk (x2) - once a light primer strike(got him with a quick bolt cycle thankfully) BUT the second and last time frozen trigger transfer bars on a 340 plus...that I had to just watch walk away did it for me.

If I want to go light I take my Blaser R8. Both systems have operated flawlessly in extreme weather.

Thanks for the pictures and hog hunt adventure, it gives us the smell of the hunt!

Run your precision rifles!

Attachments

• photo85624.jpg
      photo85624.jpg
      109.9 KB · Views: 150
    Thank you for posting this excellent wright up from your iPhone. I hope Tom Irwin sends you a free mag (or at least a tshirt) surely someone will read this and want one.

Those are very interesting bipod leg extensions on the 5H, I would be interested to see some more detail on how you did them and how they work for you.

Hey guys thanks for reading first of all!! Some of you guys had questions so I edited the OP at the bottom to answer some of those.

Hey guys thanks for reading first of all!! Some of you guys had questions so I edited the OP to answer some of those.

Agree with OP. I take my AXMC hunting all the time. Put on a 20lb pack with gear I need, plus sling the rifle which is another 23lbs with scope and radius. Once you're in the hunt, you really don't notice it. Great post OP.

I'm in the same boat as spife, central texas offers either hard cover, or wide open fields that are avoided like the plague. At least for me.
    Regardless, great writeup! I'm going to have to look into some of the kit you used, gave me new hope for being able to pack my pig of a rifle around.

I'm in the same boat as spife, central texas offers either hard cover, or wide open fields that are avoided like the plague. At least for me.
    Regardless, great writeup! I'm going to have to look into some of the kit you used, gave me new hope for being able to pack my pig of a rifle around.

Thanks for reading! Yea it’s definitely a good set up to use for heavy rifles. I have no problems carrying my SRS which is about 15.5 lbs and my AXMC is about 20 lbs and it worked really well.

Thank you for posting this excellent wright up from your iPhone. I hope Tom Irwin sends you a free mag (or at least a tshirt) surely someone will read this and want one.

Those are very interesting bipod leg extensions on the 5H, I would be interested to see some more detail on how you did them and how they work for you.

Man that would be amazing if they sent me even a hat, let alone a shirt or a mag. The leg extensions work great! Well so far. I got the idea from the DIY thread linked above.

I really like the idea for the Leg extensions. That is one thing that has really got to me with bipod for hunting, you either have tall or short and you and up needing the opposite.

I will be building some for my father and I for next hunting season

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this story. Hunting with a "tactical" rifle is usually a blast!...despite the weight.

Just saw this noob from the link in your signature, great write-up. I know I'm one to harp on "lighter weight" rifles for hunting because that is my preference but I think the moral of the story here is if you have the appropriate gear the "weight" should get lost. I think these newly designed hunting packs like Eberlestock and Vorn are making hunting and packing so much easier than even a few years ago. I was seriously considering the Vorn Lynx for my next hunt but now you got me thinking about the Warhammer, what I like about the Lynx is the quick access to the rifle, how quickly can you get to your rifle with the Warhammer?

Curious, I love the ingenuity of the wooden dowel rods from the hardware store as long leg extensions for the Atlas, I am wondering how stable was this system and when you are pushing forward to load the bipod is there a lot of flex or do you simply not load it?

I'll have to check out that pack setup for carrying the AXMC, looks pretty interesting.
    Any chance of you taking some pictures of how you had the pack all setup with the rifle?

Just saw this noob from the link in your signature, great write-up. I know I'm one to harp on "lighter weight" rifles for hunting because that is my preference but I think the moral of the story here is if you have the appropriate gear the "weight" should get lost. I think these newly designed hunting packs like Eberlestock and Vorn are making hunting and packing so much easier than even a few years ago. I was seriously considering the Vorn Lynx for my next hunt but now you got me thinking about the Warhammer, what I like about the Lynx is the quick access to the rifle, how quickly can you get to your rifle with the Warhammer?

Curious, I love the ingenuity of the wooden dowel rods from the hardware store as long leg extensions for the Atlas, I am wondering how stable was this system and when you are pushing forward to load the bipod is there a lot of flex or do you simply not load it?

Hey thanks for reading! So I looked at the vorn pack, but a few people here on the hide said that it really only works with traditional style hunting rifles. And to put the rifle back in the pack you need to have someone do it for you, or take the pack off.

Taking my AXMC was definitely not my first choice but yes if packed properly it’s doable and not that bad. Besides, I assume military guys hump these rifles all over the place so it’s being done.

As far as access to the rifle, it’s as quick as can be and it’s right there. No reaching back or anything funny at all.

And to address the wooden dowels, I did load the bipod and there was minimal flex in the legs. Definitely stable enough for hunting purposes. As good or better than traditional shooting sticks.

Last edited:
    And as an add to the setup, for those of you looking to carry a heavy rifle for a long hike in, like 5 miles in definitely try the mystery ranch cabinet pack. The new guide light hunting frame is spectacular. Accessing the weapon isn’t nearly as fast as other setups, but if you’re going to 1 destination a ways in then that’s definitely my favorite way to go.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
    And as an add to the setup, for those of you looking to carry a heavy rifle for a long hike in, like 5 miles in definitely try the mystery ranch cabinet pack. The new guide light hunting frame is spectacular. Accessing the weapon isn’t nearly as fast as other setups, but if you’re going to 1 destination a ways in then that’s definitely my favorite way to go.

I've got the MR Crew Cab and am greedily eyeing the cabinet - looks like a good upgrade. The MR stuff is about as bulletproof as it gets. Love mine but it could do with losing a few lbs, which it appears the cabinet achieves.

I've got the MR Crew Cab and am greedily eyeing the cabinet - looks like a good upgrade. The MR stuff is about as bulletproof as it gets. Love mine but it could do with losing a few lbs, which it appears the cabinet achieves.

It does shed the weight beautifully as well as place the load lifters higher so it relieves a lot of pressure from your shoulders and the waist belt is excellent really riding the pack on your hips.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
    As we are anxiously waiting for pics...
    I was looking into this pack a little while ago.
    It sounds like you have the rifle strapped on the side, doesn't that make the pack pull to one side?
    Why didn't you strap it between the two halves on your back?

Mr Noob,
    Are you shooting with the 20" barrel, if so, how do you find the extra noise? Do you feel limited to certain weight projectiles? What sort of range are you making shots at? I have a similar hiking setup though I am in the process of changing out my r700 .308 26" VSF for an AXMC .300 wm. Im still hung up on barrel length choice.

As we are anxiously waiting for pics...
    I was looking into this pack a little while ago.
    It sounds like you have the rifle strapped on the side, doesn't that make the pack pull to one side?
    Why didn't you strap it between the two halves on your back?

So I have it strapped to the side because it’s much quicker access, but I can and do carry it between the 2 halves on the mystery ranch cabinet pack when I’m going in much longer distances. But at that point I have to take off the back and unbuckle the halves so it just depends on the likelihood of seeing something early in the hunt or later.

Here is a picture of the setup but with my DTA, I couldn’t find any of when I took my AXMC. It’s the exact same thing just a different rifle.

E61E2D98-F6E3-4B86-9083-5D454EBB2744.jpeg

Mr Noob,
    Are you shooting with the 20" barrel, if so, how do you find the extra noise? Do you feel limited to certain weight projectiles? What sort of range are you making shots at? I have a similar hiking setup though I am in the process of changing out my r700 .308 26" VSF for an AXMC .300 wm. Im still hung up on barrel length choice.

The noise definitely sucks. In all honesty I want to get a 24” carbon fiber barrel, but I got this 20” for such a stupid good price I couldn’t pass it up. I’m limited by being in California and having to use lead free projectiles more than anything else as far as bullet selection.
    I feel comfortable taking a shot 700 yards and in for hunting. Me and my skills being the primary limiting factor. I try to get closer when possible though.

Thanks for the feedback! I was lured by the maneuverability and progressive approach to short barrels. The slow twist on the AI factory barrels keeps me at a max of 210gn (berger hunting vld) without any stability loss. The noise however is important as I cant use a suppressor.

Thanks for the feedback! I was lured by the maneuverability and progressive approach to short barrels. The slow twist on the AI factory barrels keeps me at a max of 210gn (berger hunting vld) without any stability loss. The noise however is important as I cant use a suppressor.

I can’t use one either, so I definitely get you there. If you hunt with hearing protection it won’t be as bad, but in the moment it’s hard to get that on as well as everything else.

This is why I think the DTA is such a great hunting rig. Long barrel compact package.

Here is a picture of my 24” 6.5 Creed DTA with my 18.5” 308 AXMC
    E052BDC9-4CD9-4A5D-92DE-CF5CABA68453.jpeg

So I have it strapped to the side because it’s much quicker access, but I can and do carry it between the 2 halves on the mystery ranch cabinet pack when I’m going in much longer distances. But at that point I have to take off the back and unbuckle the halves so it just depends on the likelihood of seeing something early in the hunt or later.

Here is a picture of the setup but with my DTA, I couldn’t find any of when I took my AXMC. It’s the exact same thing just a different rifle.

View attachment 6904968
    What strap are using on your DT?

thanks for the reply, great looking country out there.
    might have to break out the credit card today.

This is a treasure trove of information for me, since I'm now saving for a DT as a do-it-all rifle that I can also hunt with. It's a shame you can't use a suppressor where you live, keeps you from getting the full benefit of the DT's shorter OAL.

View attachment 6904968

I didn't even know that kind of position was possible with the Eberlestock. I'm assuming when you mean center it is something like this, but I like that you can have it on the side. You also mentioned the Vorn really only works with traditional rifles/stocks. Since I'm running a Manners EH1 I'm thinking this should work with the Vorn, I think I'll start a thread asking about that. Thanks again Noob.

1526657912216.png

I didn't even know that kind of position was possible with the Eberlestock. I'm assuming when you mean center it is something like this
    The one he's using in his looks like a Kifaru universal gun bearer, so it fits non-Kifaru backpacks. Or at least it's the same style.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    This is a treasure trove of information for me, since I'm now saving for a DT as a do-it-all rifle that I can also hunt with. It's a shame you can't use a suppressor where you live, keeps you from getting the full benefit of the DT's shorter OAL.
    I'm with you Nate, the DTA has had my eye for sometime now, every now and then Eurooptic runs a pretty big sale on them, will have to keep my eyes open.

Also, noob, the Covert has a shorter foreend (to allow for shorter barrels), but have you struggled with stability with the bipod being closer in vs. say your AI which is going to put the bipod further out?

I'm with you Nate, the DTA has had my eye for sometime now, every now and then Eurooptic runs a pretty big sale on them, will have to keep my eyes open.
    The picture he posted of the DTA in the gun-bearer with the pack on and everything is pretty much exactly what I'm going for. Just with a suppressor added in. So this whole thread is just perfect.

The picture he posted of the DTA in the gun-bearer with the pack on and everything is pretty much exactly what I'm going for. Just with a suppressor added in. So this whole thread is just perfect.

It’s not the gun bearer, it’s the Eberlestock butt bucket. The gun bearer won’t fit the oversized buttpad of the DTA. Same concept though.

I didn't even know that kind of position was possible with the Eberlestock. I'm assuming when you mean center it is something like this, but I like that you can have it on the side. You also mentioned the Vorn really only works with traditional rifles/stocks. Since I'm running a Manners EH1 I'm thinking this should work with the Vorn, I think I'll start a thread asking about that. Thanks again Noob.

View attachment 6905080

Yes that’s the position I carry with the mystery ranch cabinet pack, and I also have since attached a butt bucket to side of the belt of that pack as well. The exact same way as the warhammer. I prefer the cabinet if I had to pick between the 2 packs. When I wrote this I had not yet acquired the cabinet.

Also, noob, the Covert has a shorter foreend (to allow for shorter barrels), but have you struggled with stability with the bipod being closer in vs. say your AI which is going to put the bipod further out?

As far as having the bipod closer no I haven’t struggled at all. I think it has to do with the fact that the weight of the rifle is behind it. I can shoulder the DTA with 1 hand comfortably, that’s how nicely balanced it is.

That's great information to know. Does it only mount to Eberlestock packs?

No it’s a standard molle attachment to any pack with molle on the Hip belt will work. As I stated in a previous reply, since writing the OP I’ve acquired a mystery ranch cabinet pack and attached a butt bucket to that Hip belt as well. I’m actually starting to prefer that pack overall since it’s a little lighter and more compact.

As far as having the bipod closer no I haven’t struggled at all. I think it has to do with the fact that the weight of the rifle is behind it. I can shoulder the DTA with 1 hand comfortably, that’s how nicely balanced it is.
    Alright, I'm going to stop asking you questions because you're going to cause me to spend more money... seriously though, I appreciate the feedback!

Alright, I'm going to stop asking you questions because you're going to cause me to spend more money... seriously though, I appreciate the feedback!
    Tell me about it. I'm doing the next best thing and bookmarking links to the backpack and carrier for when I get the cash. Have to save for a few months since I went on a suppressor spending spree but when I do get the money I'm locked in.

Tell me about it. I'm doing the next best thing and bookmarking links to the backpack and carrier for when I get the cash. Have to save for a few months since I went on a suppressor spending spree but when I do get the money I'm locked in.

Guys I just wanted give you a little more info if you’re considering a setup like this.

In all honesty if I could do it again instead of the warhammer I would go with the Eberlestock f1 mainframe combined with their batwing accessory pounces
    Or
    The F1 mainframe with the f2 transformer pack.
    Reason being is as follows:

I got the F1 with transformer for my hunting buddy and he uses a traditional rifle with the kifaru gun bearer and the reason I would go this way if I could do it over, is because upon killing the animal, the first pack out you can take some meat with all your gear back to the truck, then dump the batwings or f2 transformer pack to shed weight and only have to carry the mainframe back in to get the rest of the meat.
    With the warhammer I can’t shed the weight so I’m carrying all my gear back and forth.

Also of note: IF YOURE ATTEMPTING TO CARRY AN 18+ lbs rifle (AXMC or similar, my AXMC as pictured in this hunt was at 19.2 lbs on a luggage scale, for reference the DTA pictured in post #31 was at 14lbs even)
    I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MYSTERY RANCH CABINET. For the sole reason that I find the Hip belt and load lifters better for carrying massive weight. Again though, you can’t unzip and detach some of the weight like you can with the F1 and an added pack.

Reactions: Papagallos