• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with your target rifles??

For shits and grins last year I took one of my FN SPRs and made it my "longer range" hunting rig. The ranch has areas where you can theoretically hunt at 900 yards...but most ideal stand locations put the treelines at about a max of 400, making a .308 still viable.

* I guess I should mention that this is a first gen SPR, and was an old police sniper trade-in. Complete with ca. 2000 Leupold Mk4, M3 fixed 10x scope and 168gr turret. Barrel length is a compact 26 inches, LOL.

I used the same load data for my 168 SMK load to test some 165 NBT. Turns out that the rifle actually shoots the ballistic tips better. Plus tracks dead on to 500 yards with the turret.

Shot this buck at only about 140 yards or so. He made it about 40 yards, which actually wasn't bad since all I hit were lungs, but the damage to them was quite impressive.

View attachment 7250740
View attachment 7250741
Nice setup. I shot a couple this year with my FN SPR in 6.5CM. Furthest shot I got on one was a doe just under 400 yards. She made it about 2 or 3 steps.

Reactions: diggler1833
I love mine. Makes packing a 16 pound rifle much easier ?. However, my “out west” elk rifle in 300 WM still weighs 12 all kitted up.

I love mine. Makes packing a 16 pound rifle much easier ?. However, my “out west” elk rifle in 300 WM still weighs 12 all kitted up.
Yes, 12 pounds isn't unreasonable, and that's a good shooting weight. Around here 7,000 feet is about as low as you'll be able to hunt, and it goes way up fom there. Every pound counts.

My hunting rifle is 13 pounds and my targets are 14 14.5 lol not much difference. I hunt mostly 7000 to 11000 feet

Of course, why not?

I think the question should be more if one is willing to hump the weight of a heavy rifle all over Hell's half acre. And if that's really a question, then maybe one should do a few more push-ups and run a few extra laps around the block.

I swap out target bullets with hunting bullets of the same weight and pretty much keep the loads the same.

Yes, 12 pounds isn't unreasonable, and that's a good shooting weight. Around here 7,000 feet is about as low as you'll be able to hunt, and it goes way up fom there. Every pound counts.

That’s- atlas bipod, TBAC ultra 7, and 3.6-18 Mk5. Sure it could be lighter, but it shoots lights out. And I’ve toted it for a week at 10k, and 5 days last year at 7-9k. It’s killed 2 elk, a mule deer and a whitetail so far.

Very good. Yeah, I used to do that, but I'm getting older, been out of the military for 25 years, and fighting old military injuries that haven't been getting any better over the years! One advantage that I have is living at 8700 feet, so dealing with altitude isn't a problem. It's awesome when the doc puts your x-ray up on that backlighted panel and the first thing that they say is "Holy shit!"...

Yes,
If I went PROOF barrel I can take off another half pound.
Yes, in my case I've usually used heavy profile barrels, #7' AMU and the like, so I should save about 3 pounds from what I hear with a Proof barrel. Like I said, I'm a Bartlein guy and could fit one of those in a light profile. But a pound is a pound. Part of this is planning ahead- 20 years from now I'd like to still be out hunting.
I

That’s- atlas bipod, TBAC ultra 7, and 3.6-18 Mk5. Sure it could be lighter, but it shoots lights out. And I’ve toted it for a week at 10k, and 5 days last year at 7-9k. It’s killed 2 elk, a mule deer and a whitetail so far.
That's interesting- I use a MK6 in the same range, and I'm waiting on my paperwork to go through on the same can. Should be coming through in the next few weeks. How do you like yours?​

TBAC Ultra 7 is awesome. Light enough that I run it on all my rifles, all the time. The weight is worth it to not have to worry about using earpro. It makes communicating with your hunting partner or guide much easier. Plus animals seem to react differently to a suppressed shot. They don’t tend to bolt off, usually just mill around looking.

Last edited:
I use my 260 Remington, TBAC ultra 7, and Kahles 6-24 scope for competition and hunting when in a stand. (my 12 year old granddaughter uses it hunting as well) We have opportunities for long shots so the match grade trigger, barrel, and glass really helps. Different bullets. For drives and stalking I carry an AR in 300 blackout. (Close shots are the norm.)

Thanks, guys. Good to know. I have an older model .30 can, state of the art 12 years ago. The Ultra looked like a great precision shooting can, so thanks for the confirmation. I like the fact that they make brakes for .30 cans with 3/4" threads- on my heavy barrels I'll use those. I feel that removing a lot of material from a heavy barrel de-stresses the threaded muzzle slightly, right where you want it to be perfect. Tension from the muzzle device is another factor.

No way I'd carry my AI on a hunting trip other than calling for coyotes. I've hunted in New Mexico, Idaho and a few other places where a 9# rifle feels like an anchor by the end of the day. I've never missed an opportunity because my rifle was too light.

i also believe that target bullets are for targets. I want a controlled expansion hunting bullet that will give adequate if not complete penetration from any reasonable angle. I've never had to compromise on accuracy to find a load with a nosler partition or accubond, or a barnes x.

ELD-m works just fine on deer and similar. No need to change my load or rezero. I just keep using the same 140 factory ELD-m that I shoot in matches all year.
For elk I go with the ELD-x, which is all I shoot in my 300 WM.

Shot one this year with my match rifle in 6BRA. 105 Hybrid. It ran in a 30 foot semi circle then went down. Worked as well as anything else I have shot them with.

oh yeah it was loud, if I got in the habit of using it I would ditch the brake or add a can.

just about everyone

head over to the "post your smk/match bullet kills" thread and you will see. even though they are match bullets, they have a pretty good track record of terminal performance on game like deer, pronghorn, etc.

Me personally, I used ELDM in a hunting scenario for the very first time this past hunting season. Broadside shot on a whitetail, it only ran about 30 yards before it tumbled to its death. However, the bullet had zero expansion, it seemed as if the bullet penciled through. Exit hole was extremely small. I would have preferred a larger exit hole but the animal collapsed right away nonetheless.

Did you gut it out and check out interior performance? I’ve seen this happen and believe it’s sometimes just the shank that exits with catastrophic internal expansion.

I’ve shot a coyote with 147s and they sure expanded

Killed an antelope about 10-15 years ago with a 284 XP-100 using AMAX or Ballistic Tips. It ran about 20 yards, but it probably dumped 2 gallons of blood out of it in that run.

I have had similar experiences with Sierra Match kings. I like a tougher bullet, but honestly dead is dead.

Killed a zebra with a 308 using a bullet similar to a Remington PSP made in South Africa. Tougher bullet same result, ran 30 yards and died.

As long as the bullet has enough ass to get to the vitals it generally works.

No way I'd carry my AI on a hunting trip other than calling for coyotes. I've hunted in New Mexico, Idaho and a few other places where a 9# rifle feels like an anchor by the end of the day. I've never missed an opportunity because my rifle was too light.

i also believe that target bullets are for targets. I want a controlled expansion hunting bullet that will give adequate if not complete penetration from any reasonable angle. I've never had to compromise on accuracy to find a load with a nosler partition or accubond, or a barnes x.
Agreed- and not being fatigued or out of breath helps you make your shot. Barnes bullets have worked really well for myself and a few friends. I like partitions for heavy game, but I've had Nosler ballistic tips act like fmjs before. It seems like in the last few years the industry has really advanced bullet tech to a great degree, for both target and hunting projectiles.
Killed an antelope about 10-15 years ago with a 284 XP-100 using AMAX or Ballistic Tips. It ran about 20 yards, but it probably dumped 2 gallons of blood out of it in that run.

I have had similar experiences with Sierra Match kings. I like a tougher bullet, but honestly dead is dead.

Killed a zebra with a 308 using a bullet similar to a Remington PSP made in South Africa. Tougher bullet same result, ran 30 yards and died.

As long as the bullet has enough ass to get to the vitals it generally works.
Shipmate! I'm a 10 year Navy vet. I was doing training at NWC Crane in the time period when the M118LR was being developed and the legal wrangling was being discussed on type certifying the SMK for combat use. Part of that was Sierra declaring that the open tip of the SMK was a manufacturing byproduct, not being designed to cause expansion. Another thing that I learned was that Sierra makes SMKs to a lot to lot accuracy standard, and they use thinner, thicker, softer and harder jacket material, and various core alloys to meet that standard, with basically no regard to terminal performance of the bullet. In short, some lots may act like a FMJ, some might act like a varmint grenade, most will be in the middle somewhere. If you have some that work fine for hunting, I'd save some of that lot for that purpose. If you buy new ones, I'd do some testing with them before I used them for hunting. Anyway, there's a bunch of outstanding, accurate hunting bullets on the shelf right now.

Ive been kicking that around and on another thread it was kind of brought by myself i thought having a dedicated hunting rifle was best but what does everyone else do? Use target rifles with hunting loads or just use target bullets with the same load you use for targets? Just curious what others do. Elk mule deer and pronghorn hunting
Fun

I use my bighorn tl3 for everything. But I'm a flat lander here in ND. So not many hills around here. 800-1300asl.

But when I go out of state I'll swap barrels and stocks. I'll keep my scope as its familiar but swapping everything out really saves a pile of weight.

Xdeano

Ive been kicking that around and on another thread it was kind of brought by myself i thought having a dedicated hunting rifle was best but what does everyone else do? Use target rifles with hunting loads or just use target bullets with the same load you use for targets? Just curious what others do. Elk mule deer and pronghorn hunting
I have discovered after 50+ years, that most (not all) sporting rifles are limited in long-range accuracy. Therefore, I use match-grade rifles for hunting. My old models {not new} 40 XB's in various calibers have been used in hunting for several years. I have had very bad luck with the new models. Where I was forced to spend thousands of dollars to make major corrections. My years with Remington go back to the early 1960s. Sadly, I am absolutely finished with this company. I wish it was otherwise...

My 26 pound ruger precision was what I killed with last year. This year I told myself I'm building a dedicated deer gun but will prob end up taking a 17 pound ar10 in 6.5 creed

What did you do to a Ruger to get it @26lb lol???
Added steel plates on the hand guard. 3 inches wide 15 inches long half inch thick

Attachments

• 20200613_144139.jpg
    20200613_144139.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: stello1001
My hunting style is riding in the truck and walking maybe a 1/4 mile in to a box stand, so I use my AIAT for hunting too. I’ll take the weight penalty for the extra stability and confidence. It’s obviously no big deal since the walks are not very far. However, it is amazing how many still want a “lightweight” hunting rifle for box blind hunting. Some of the guys on my lease are so lazy they park right under the stand, and still think a light rifle is a good idea. These are the types that also let a good animal walk at 300 yards because they’re not confident in their shot placement.

Went hunting with my heavy but accurate rpr shooting 140 eldms does well because it is a super accurate and consistent rifle made the hunt quite easy.

I’m currently using a “do everything rifle”. Tikka 20” CTR in a KRG bravo with LRHSi and tripod. It weighs about 12 pounds loaded currently and will be 13-13.5 when my SICO Omega is freed and I upgrade optics.

Of course then it maybe getting a little heavy, so I’ll be forced to spend $ on a CF barrel...

It’s nice having the confidence and stability of your most used/favorite rifle. Also a good workout.