• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors HVT Range results with pic

Slickrick0999

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2006
McMinnville, Tennessee
Here she is....
can2.jpg

can1-1.jpg

Everything ready for the new KMW to get here.
By the way, if you are in TN and need one,
Scott's Bookkeeping in Chattanooga is Great to deal with.

Re: Got my Gemtech HVT today

Two words:Range Report.Is that bubble wrap I see?LOL.
grin.gif

You'll have to post pics and hopefully a vid.POI shift will be interesting if any and FRP if any.Do you have the Bi-lock or thread on?

Yeah, its the bubble wrap it came in. Lame (i know).
I got the thread on version.
As soon as I get my rifle my brother(Nashlaw) and I will post some results.
By the way, maybe going to be a Sniperworx article on the whole gun.
KMW .308, Surgeon action, Kreiger barrel, McMillan A5, Badger DBM, USO SSDS Scope, and a few other goodies. If anyone doesnt have it already, check out Sniperworx.com or PM BansheeSWS for how to get a subscription.

Hey slickrick , 2 questions , no 1 ,How long did it take to get yours - ordered mine from local dealer 2 months ago and still hasnt left gemtec. no 2 ,is the people building your rifle gonna fit it to your gun.

Forrest,
I dont think it took but about 5 weeks maybe for my dealer to get it and then about 8 weeks for the paperwork to clear.
I got the thread on version not the bi-lock quick disconnect. So it will be me taking it on and off. If you are getting the Bi-Lock version it has to be installed by a smith to keep the warranty.
Hope this helps. It is hard to wait on some of this stuff but it is worth it in the end.

Okay ,thanks for the info ,now i feel better knowing im not the only one to have to wait ,and when my dealer gets it now i have an idea how long paperwork should be, -oh and im getting the thread on version too. thanks

BUMP this up.
Range report ? very interested if you got info on your group size out your HVT Can from your build.

So far getting about a 2" group at 100yds. Rifle shoots much better with the can off. I have got a bug hole 3 shot group at 100yds with the can off. Have not shot much with the can so far, only about 30 shots fired thru it. This is my first can and I dont know if I have to work a different load up for the rifle to shoot proper groups as it does without it.
POI shift is 7" low at 100yds.

With that kind of POI shift I would say you have a problem. Your groups should not be worse with the can on. Your groups suppressed should at least be the same if not better. It could be that your barrel was not threaded properly for a suppressor. I have seen great improvements in the amount of shift by indicating the bore with a range rod and 2 indicators. I found out that threading between centers can be ok , but it's not the way to go as far a POI is concerned. (of course I do not know how your barrel was threaded). If your barrel was threaded properly then the suppressor could have a problem.
Good luck

I spoke with another member here about POI shift dealing with Gemtech HVT.

The big difference I see with the HVT vs other suppressors is the baffle stack design. The HVT has what looks like a keyhole baffle if you look down through it. Not symetrical by any means.

Most other suppressors have a "K" stack that will have a hole or divet near the thru hole. The HVT has ridges all around the thru hole and then on one side the keyhole slot. This slot is not offset for each baffle. The slot is in the same position all the way through.

I did break in a rifle with one before but never shot for accuracy or POI shift.

If two members here are having the same type of problems, I doubt they are the only ones. Gemtech has been good about issues in the past. They cannot fix it if they do not know about it.

I'd say you have a problem. Impact may change, but not significantly and groups tend to be tighter.
Get a hold of Gemtech and go from there.
Chad

Could be something going on with the HTV .30 Can ?
Also, is the Can in question with slickrick QD or thread-on. Mine is a thread-on.

OK, I would also be the 1st to suggest that the shoulder mating or bore concentricity is a no-go to cause the bad grouping and POI shift of large moa distance.
I drug this Thread up for some feedback yeasterday because I am having the same issue as he is talking about almost to the tee. A 2+ inch spread @ 100 and a 4-inch spread @ 200 with wild poi shift too. from a brand new HTV.
Shooting from a rifle that always groups/shoots tight. NO baffle touches or strikes either. It's all clean when the bullet exits. also put the HTV on a lathe and tuned it between centers to check the shoulders with mic./indicator and the Gem.Can is deadnuts true on shoulder to bore also. The mating of the shoulders on the Can & rifle are GTG too. Nice and tight when threaded-on.

plus, (this is where I point fingers to the HTV but not the Rifle) . I am lucky enough to have another .30 Can to put a side to side comparison check with the new HTV . My Older .30 Can shoots ' Tight and True ' same tight group as with it off. On my rifle that the HVT won't do a group out. I bought the New HTV to Move-Up a lighter weight Can design. Over the older heavy weight I been using. I threw it on last week and today to do some checking and paper groups for doc. and I am just sick in the stomach from the groups. I am not moving up but shooting like a rattyass AK or FAL now.
also What I am doing this week <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">and I am sugesting to (slickrick) also to do is too</span>. </span>Line-Up another Rifle with threaded muzzle and lay some more groups on paper with the HTV to see what's up. There is something Not Right but I can't put my finger on the exact problem right now. But another rifle or two with the same Can on will be better documentation to it having a real problem.

My HVT is also a thread on type. My rifle was threaded for it by KMW so I dont think there is a problem there. Right now, I dont know of another rifle that I would have access to for testing. I think I am going to give Gemtech a call in the morning. One of the reasons I went with Gemtech is that I have heard they have excellent CS.

Mines a thread on also done by GAP when the rifle was built.POI shift is 2 moa high and 2.5 moa right for the first shot.2nd shot is 2 moa high and 1 moa right as are all following rounds.

Phil D.at gemtech is out of town till the 11th of April. You might be able to catch him but I think he is leaving 1st of this week.(what he told me) plus, If I am sending my Can Back to the shop then I want him personally to be looking at it. There customer service Rep.guy on the phone (Owen) does not have the knowledge that Phil has. Plus it's just going to sit there till he gets back anyway and He makes the decisions around there I guess. He told me he will personally put it on a rifle and shot factory box Fed. ammo and see what the group size is @ 50 and 100 yrd.
I talked to Phil a couple days ago on the phone and he sounds pretty sincere about there CS. but I am having my doubts as to what is considered as 'Acceptable Size' as groups out there at Gemtech. The bottom-line for me is that I will not accept a Can that hurts my accuracy and makes my POI to POA unpredictable with it.
The Can sounds good but and is pretty light weight and good size. But it Takes more than decibel reduction and DB reduction, weight and size takes a Back-Seat in my book to accuracy.
All, 'I or you' can really do is lay-down some documentation with ammo and other rifles with the HTV on them. Then send the proof with the Can back to them. Hopefully there is a mutual understanding between us and them on what is considered as useful in add for suppression.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, this is my first can. Weather permitting, I will try and get to the range 2moro and document some group sizes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoneyShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mines a thread on also done by GAP when the rifle was built.POI shift is 2 moa high and 2.5 moa right for the first shot.2nd shot is 2 moa high and 1 moa right as are all following rounds. </div></div>

Myself and another shooter here have seen what we refer to as "Harmonic Settling" when dealing with suppressor POI shift.
For instance:
I have a rifle chambered in .308 that is a sub moa shooter. When I install the suppressor, the group moves 1.5moa down, 1.5moa right. but the group is approx 1 moa. After a few shots the group tightens.
Take the suppressor off and the first shot is approx 1.5moa down, but centers on the unsuppressed zero. Each shot afterwards is dead nuts zero.

I can fire the rifle suppressed, take the suppressor off and put the rifle up. Next day, take it out and fire for group unsuppressed. The first shot will be 1.5moa down. The next shots will be dead nut zero. This only happens if the last round fired was with the suppressor.

The suppressor is a Jet .338.

I feel others will have similar results. Do not dismiss them as "flyers". Pay close attention to where the shots go before, during, and after suppressor use. Record the data. Good info to know.

If you want consistancy, it is best to leave the suppressor on the rifle. But if you take it off for cleaning, be sure you know what the rifle will do.

I hate to hear all this discussion about the Gemtech HVT. I have one on order and may have it by May. I had Gemtech do the threading and add the bi-lock. I also sent them my rifle to thread and test. I wonder what they did and if they would do any extensive testing prior to shipping it back. Hmm…

We shall see how this ends up. I will be ticked off if this makes my rifle shoot poorly. This was my first venture into the suppressor world and I am hoping for a positive experience as I don't won't it to be my last...

I have also heard that Gemtech has great Customer Service and that was one of the reasons I went to them vice many other good quality company's selling suppressors.

Thanks for the information Gent's. It will help me to look for issues when I start burning powder.

The HVT has been in the safe a couple months, just got the call GAP was shipping the 308 back Friday....guess I can add a data point to this test in a couple weeks.

Topo-Sniper, did you get the GAP threaded or threaded withthe Bi-lock system? Anyways, let me know how it shoots. I can't wait to get mine back...

OK guys, just got back from shooting the HVT. Got some interesting results. I will be posting some targets and comments shortly, but just to give you a hint....
The groups tightened up the more I shot it and ended up the day with a 5 shot 200 yard group measuring just under 1 inch.

Will post targets and notes later.
Here are the results...
without can
group1 0.5"
group2 0.65"
group3 0.825"
group4 1.28" spoiler my fault
group5 .685"

with can
group1 1.56"
group2 1.11"
group3 0.67"
group4 0.50"
group5 0.47"

All of these were shot at 100yards using Black Hills Match 175grain.
Doing the math on them, without can avg=0.788" take spoiler group out & it =0.665".
With can avg=0.862" take group#1(first shot thru can group) out & it =0.6875".

Then I shot this..
DSC01166.jpg

5 shots, 200yards, @ 0.858"!

Thats real good news slick, nice group.

J, just the straight threaded for my bolt gun. I had read somewhere folks were getting blow-back on their scope from the bi-lock. Anyway, I was more interested in low weight than quick detach. Let us know when you get a few rounds through it.

What is the POI shift now? No doubt the rifle will shoot.

Until you can know the new rifle unsuppressed, the eval will have questions left unanswered.

I am under the impression the rifle is new to everyone.

If it were me, and you asked me to give my $.02 so here it is:

Come to know the rifle. Clean it using a proven cleaning technique and break it in. Record the results after break in. Does it shoot better after 20 rounds after a cleaning? Does it shoot better dirty?

You have to maintain a consistant baseline to give an accurate eval.

Once that is attained and you know the rifle, throw another variable in there and screw on the suppressor.

Recoil will change and the rifle will shoot different. At this point, try this:

Clean the rifle to where you know it likes to be shot. Slightly pale blue patch with SC maybe?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Once you have a dead nut zero, Fire a Clean Cold bore group one morning @ 300 yds.</span>

Allow to cool (approx 20 min)

fire another group...record the results

Allow to cool (approx 20 min)...<span style="font-weight: bold">clean the rifle</span>

Screw on the suppressor and fire for group, record results...

Allow to cool (approx 20 min)

fire another suppressed group, record results...

Allow to cool (approx 20 min) unscrew suppressor...clean the rifle.

Fire two more unsuppressed groups.

Be sure you know where the groups go immediately following suppressor removal.

The main thing is to move out to 300 yds and crank out the parallax.
100 yds is a nice distance to zero @, but to see how a load works in a rifle you need some distance.

Yes, more than likely the rifle will have a POI shift using the suppressor. How many rounds fired after the install does the rifle group best? Where does the first suppressed round go?

All these questions need to be answered and results recorded.

On a rifle that goes a couple hundred rounds between cleanings in maybe a combat environment, a suppressor can be a valuable addition to the SWS and remain consistant.

But, for a Police SWS where that one shot @ 109 yds can be the difference in being indicted or praised, a suppressor is one variable that needs to stay out of the equation.

Funny thing about Hooper's comments, it is what I was doing before this thread. I had not really shot the suppressor much as my rifle was new and I was new to it. I was more concerned with trying to find a good load for it unsuppressed than I was with the can.
Before today, I cleaned my rifle thoroughly. Got to the range today and shot 5 shots to bring it around from a clean / cold bore. I then shot the groups I posted. I did not allow for the cooling. Pretty much just shot one right after the other.
I myself, am in complete agreement with Hooper's assessment. I PM'd him to review this thread today as I was interested in his opinion. THanks Hooper. Oh, the POI was right at 5 MOA low @ 100 yards today.

In the end, I think I have alot of learning to do before I can blame it on any of my equipment (LOL).

See, now this is great information. That is why I came to this forum. When I get my Gemtech, you guys have given me a great head start to work on. My only problem is getting the suppressor and taking my rifle out before I deploy to AFG in June. It is going to be close. If not, I have something to look forward to upon my return. I will take Hooper's point and try them on my rifle. The rifle is pretty new, H&S Precision HTR, and I have not had much chance with it so I will be learning as I am going. Thanks for the information. I will take into all into account.

BTW, the 5 moa POI change is the most I have ever heard of. The good thing is that it is directly below the zero, not off to the side like one of my rifles.

The main thing is that the change is consistant.

On cleaning, read Jhuskey's post on cleaning/marksmanship.

If you need help on this stuff, just ask.

When learning a rifle's CCB shot I will fire one round, cool and clean, fire one round, cool then clean, fire one round, cool then clean, fire one round, cool then clean...etc..

It makes for some great info to write down and know. Cheaper than blowing a bunch of rounds down range too not really knowing what happened or why that flyer went left.

Many shooters that shoot these matches do not think about CCB and chase their first shot when it is not in the 10 ring.

The phrase "Fear the man with one rifle" comes to mind. More than likely, he knows the rifle like the back of his hand.

I bought this Can to mostly just leave it on the rifle and I will give the Gem.HVT Can, (1-More) chance this week to tighten up the groups. SOoooooo, I will run 100 more rounds. In groups of 5. To see if it 'Miraculously' improves on the 4" groups I am getting @ 200 yrd.
My rifle is not new and I been shooting the crap out of this particular .308 since about June 07 with the same load. I rarely shoot it for groups @ 100 yrd. but shoot it out at 2-3 hundred for practice groups. I have already put about 30 .308 rounds thru the HVT and at least 40+ rounds 30-221 also. I go into a suppressor knowing about harmonic change and POI shift and different recoil and handling with it on too. Like I said in my other post in the Thread. My rifle shoots sub-moa without the HVT and shoots the same with my other .30 Can on it.

Gotta say here that I am Not having any luck in this theory of, 'Suppressor Break-In'.
I am getting average of, 3-Inch groups with a consistent 3-inch POI high and 1-inch left @ 200 yrd. So I am not wasting anymore good ammo on this Gem HVT. and don't even care to move it out even farther down the range for groupings.
Nothing touches the Can except for heat, pressure and powder burn. So I got to declare Shenanigans on this Suppressor break-in Talk. Not working for me at all. No way in hell the repetitious firing and the Can and it trapping the expanding muzzle gas. Is going to make this HVT SupCan, let my rifle shoot even 1-moa group game.

Also, The Rifle also seems to shoot great groups when dealing with the 'Harmonics' of the added weight of my FTE Muz. Break or my other .30 cal. Suppressor when added to the end of the muzzle. So All I can do is just send it back to Gemtech. I got no other choice than that because ' IT ' will just not let my .308 shoot.

SC,
Let me know what Gemtech says when you talk to them. I am still waiting on getting to shoot mine again the same as I did the last time (5 groups without and 5 groups with). To be honest, I am not to thrilled about the 5" drop in POI with BHM. That is going to limit how far I can dial in my scope.
As far as the "Break-in", I have no idea. It does not make sense to me at all. I have talked with a friend of mine that knows more about cans than I do. He said it should have no break in for the same reasons you listed above.

POI shift for me is very livable as I have 35mm tube body. Even your 5" is doable for me. As long as the POI shift is constant than it's no biggie. I am just concerned about keeping a working game on group size while using the Can. This HTV and my other Can both do a consistent/repeatable POI, Up and to the Left just a Tad. The HTV is about an 1-inch higher. And settling in @ a good 3-inches high and 1-moa Left @ 200 yrd. With the 1st CB shot out the HTV doing a hard left POI evry time.

'A Big Plus' .Doing all the Cans and Muz.Break switching back & forth. I have learned a Bunch on my Badger FTE Muz. Break. It is totally hitting a repeatable and back to the 100 Yrd. Zero. every time I put it back on. I got it dialed-in @ 50 in/lb on Torque, when clamping back on the cut-back and on the mark. The thing is golden perfect return to Zero ' Every Time '. I can say no more about that FTE, it fucking rocks.

Soft,

JeffVN and I were talking aboout this at the range this week and he had a theory that sounds plausable. If this has already been mentioned tell me to STFU :)

Your no-can load may be on the edge of it's "node" and adding the can mass changes the barrel harmonics enough to throw those groups out. If you reload and have a desire to try, you might try loading a few batches with different charge weights and try them with the can on (like you probably did with your load development), going up or down a few grains may tighten them up (and hopefully they will work with the can removed also).

Bringing back this thread to see if there's anymore info on the HVT out there.

-X

I got my 308 back from Moon after my last post & have not had a chance to shoot it much but when I have it shoots sub MOA with the HVT using M118LR. I am doing brass prep for my reloads now and will do load development with the can on to see how it does with 155 Scenars, after that I can evaluate for POI shift with/without the can.

Anyone else been more productive? SC?

I have an HVT that I was having blowback issues with as well as accuracy issues with on one rifle (FN SPR). The thing wouldn't group consistant with the suppressor on and it drove me crazy.

I had the tension mount on the SPR and told Gemtech of the gas blowback issue (accuracy seemed pretty decent at this time with FGMM). They (Kel) paid to have my rifle shipped to and from them to switch out the mount with one that had an o-ring to stop the gas blowback and also timed the mount with the tabs vertical. Cool, gas blowback was then minimal but accuracy seemed to go to poop. I could shoot with the suppressor off and get consistent 1/2-1moa groups at 100yds. Put the suppressor on and it would shoot 1-2moa, maybe even worse. This was with a bunch of FGMM rounds and this cost me a lot of money and headache. Once in a while it would print a decent group but I just couldn't count on the rifle shooting well with the suppressor attached. Talked to Phil and he thought it was the system not working together so I sold the rifle. Phil took the suppressor and put it on his rifle in a mechanical rest and shot a great 3 shot group, but he only shot the single group. Phil sent a free phantom mount with the suppresor and asked that I try it on my 700p I was talking about putting the HVT on. Well, I'm really worried about cutting my 700p/AICS and putting the HVT on it now. I remember the gas blowback issues with the bilock/tension mount and this rifle shoots really well "as is". I had/have the option of getting the can changed to a thread mount, so should I do this? I hate it because it's going to devalue the suppressor, but I don't want carbon and gas blowback all over my Nightforce NXS.. I think removing any play from the system has to be a good thing though.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick over the issue. I truly just feel "stuck" with this can and there's not a whole lot I can do about it. I just don't have the extra $$$ for another can and tax stamp. Gemtech has been wonderful and have tried more than once to make good on this thing. They have the best CS out there period. I just wish they could figure out a good solution for this HVT.. At this time I'm not posting this on arfcom because it'll just turn into a Gemtech/AAC bashing thread. I'm not interested in all that noise and I just want to shoot straight, quiet, consistant, and be happy.

The can currently sits on an AR15.

-X

I had a rifle that when I put a can on it the groups opened up to 3" from .5" with a 10" POI shift. Turned out the stock was incorrectly inlet and incorrectly bedded. Once I figured out the problem accuracy remained constant on and off and the POI shift settled at 1.5" straight down. Not all rifles react the same to silencers and changes in accuracy are not always indicative of problems inside the silencer. Don't give up, try the 700P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a rifle that when I put a can on it the groups opened up to 3" from .5" with a 10" POI shift. Turned out the stock was incorrectly inlet and incorrectly bedded. Once I figured out the problem accuracy remained constant on and off and the POI shift settled at 1.5" straight down. Not all rifles react the same to silencers and changes in accuracy are not always indicative of problems inside the silencer. Don't give up, try the 700P.

</div></div>

Well, one thing I noticed when I received my can back from Gemtech the first time is that they changed the orientation of the baffle stack in reference to the locking tabs on the mount. The HVT has a "keyhole" stack pattern and when I sent it the keyhole shape was vertical (straight up and down). When I got it back it was rotated, IIRC, about 40-45* from vertical. When the keyhole was straight up and down I was getting about a 1moa shift down when the suppressor was attached. After I got the can back there was a POI shift of about 4moa low and 3moa right and accuracy was not very good.

I'll probably try it on my 700p/AICS but I'm leaning towards sending the can in to get the thread mount installed. Just wondering if that's a good idea or not.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll probably try it on my 700p/AICS but I'm leaning towards sending the can in to get the thread mount installed. Just wondering if that's a good idea or not.

-X </div></div>

If they're willing to change it to thread mount that would be my choice.

Mine is thread-on. When sent back was a change also in the alignment of the baffle stack and the Main (key hole) porting that was aligned in the baffle stack. The 2 center baffle in the 6-stack group was turned 180 deg. from the others. It seemed to clean-up some of the gas disturbance that (i think) I was getting. Also Phil made the Shoulder mating surface a little larger.
These two things tightened-up some the loose groups I was getting with this brand of .30 cal. Can.

Back to what (TOPO-sniper) was telling me. About tuning in your load to the Suppressor. This makes much sense after I have been shooting this model a while and documenting the boost in up and down the yardages. My Holdovers are less with the SupCan on. So if you were to dial up the load I think you could get a 'little better' performance in group size also .

so glad i came across this thread...from what i gather
HVT=Shit

I would say it is not Shit. just a 'Slow' work in progress from Gem. I think, Refinement is coming real slow on this model and mostly/only from customer feedback. also Gem. has customer service that takes and makes fix's and repairs. I think Phil cares about his products but I don't think that he is 'product design tuned' to the precision LR shooting that this crowd likes and 'Expects' in there shooting.
This model after I got it worked-on. and I am not going to bullshit you either. I had to send it to them twice. once for a rattle in baffling after a few test rounds and then once for the loose groups I was getting. I do admit that it's not a asset to my hammer of a .308 but in Gem's defense, Now it will hang a couple in the 6" X and in the 10-ring @ 600 for a good 8 rounds, as it starts to heat. MY .308 shoots Much better without the HVT on it @ 600.
OK (IMHO only) the HVT is not going to give you a winning game for any long range precision. and I really would not take it any farther past 600 yrd. 'on my rifle anyway'. I got another .30 Can but it is an old school big & boat anchor, solid SS construction. It does better on the LR group size. So I guess I will just stick with it.
HVT does suppress sound and flash. It also does do good on my Whisper. 30-221 bolt action. but that's a total differant animal as Subsonic gas flow is a hell of a lot different than the world of Centerfire rifle expanding gas flow. Also it does a good job on one of my Carbine .5.56 AR's even though it's a .30 can. but I don't expect precision tight groups from it.
Anyway I don't think it is shit but just not what people on this website pride themselves in doing most. Now if your doing short range flash/noise suppression in a short range .308 carbine AR-10 or a short range in a boltaction it will do it but Not with sub moa as the Norm.

I've had good results w/ my HVT. It's only been used on my .300WM. 200+ rounds suppressed and no problems so far. Rifle is an XCR Tactical. I installed a Badger FTE earlier this year. Upper left group is w/ FTE installed, lower right is HVT weight on the end of this 26" bbl. 190grn SMKs @ 2950 w/ RE22. HVT added 25-30fps. Switching from just a thread protector to the HVT yields a POI shift down 3.5in and right 2in w/ the Brake falling right in between those two.
IMG_0041.jpg

BTW, the upper left shot is the clean, cold bore round.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say it is not Shit. just a 'Slow' work in progress from Gem. I think, Refinement is coming real slow on this model and mostly/only from customer feedback. also Gem. has customer service that takes and makes fix's and repairs. I think Phil cares about his products but I don't think that he is 'product design tuned' to the precision LR shooting that this crowd likes and 'Expects' in there shooting.
This model after I got it worked-on. and I am not going to bullshit you either. I had to send it to them twice. once for a rattle in baffling after a few test rounds and then once for the loose groups I was getting. I do admit that it's not a asset to my hammer of a .308 but in Gem's defense, Now it will hang a couple in the 6" X and in the 10-ring @ 600 for a good 8 rounds, as it starts to heat. MY .308 shoots Much better without the HVT on it @ 600.
OK (IMHO only) the HVT is not going to give you a winning game for any long range precision. and I really would not take it any farther past 600 yrd. 'on my rifle anyway'. I got another .30 Can but it is an old school big & boat anchor, solid SS construction. It does better on the LR group size. So I guess I will just stick with it.
HVT does suppress sound and flash. It also does do good on my Whisper. 30-221 bolt action. but that's a total differant animal as Subsonic gas flow is a hell of a lot different than the world of Centerfire rifle expanding gas flow. Also it does a good job on one of my Carbine .5.56 AR's even though it's a .30 can. but I don't expect precision tight groups from it.
Anyway I don't think it is shit but just not what people on this website pride themselves in doing most. Now if your doing short range flash/noise suppression in a short range .308 carbine AR-10 or a short range in a boltaction it will do it but Not with sub moa as the Norm.
. </div></div>

Affecting accuracy negatively isn't really acceptable. That makes no sense to say it's ok for your rifle to be less accurate with an HVT attached. Others are adding suppressors and are getting improved accuracy!

I've been talking with Phil and I think he is still going to try and help me make my HVT work. He's said a few things that make me think that things will go well but it'll have to wait until he returns from overseas.
frown.gif
But as long as it gets fixed, I'll be happy.
smile.gif

-X

I have talked with Phil also. Although a little evasive at first, he has agreed to take a look at my HVT also. I was actually supposed to send it in last month but with work and all I did not make time to get to the PO. I will say this, my HVT seems to shoot better @ 200 yards than 100. A couple of weeks ago, I went shooting and grouped 4 shots touching @ 200yards. Anyway, it still has a considerable velocity loss and a 5 MOA shift at 100yards.
I would really like to get together with another thread on can of a different manufacture to test side by side, but everyone I know close is going with the QD designs.
Also, last month took it out to 680 yards. Ran a ballistic program on the adjusted velocity and added the MOA to my suppressed zero point and DONG!

Any new word? I'm looking to sell mine at this point...

-X