• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hydro-Dipped Camo Results(Pics)

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
I decided to have my AICS stock skins Hydro-Dipped in camo as an alternative to trying to get a decent paint finish. I originally was planning on a Multicam pattern, because I thought the irregularity in the pattern would turnout getter then digital. I found a local place that did this and having a preferrence for keeping my business here in Michigan when possible, met with the owner. He did not offer Multicam, so I went with one of the digital patterns he offered.

I am torn on the results. The pattern is a little "busier" then I like, and even though he sprayed it with a matte clear coat, it seems a little too glossy for me. The process also causes the digits to look a little bent. The film did cover the skins well. Durability is yet to be seen.

Anyways, I thought I would post a few pics in case anyone was looking at having this done.

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Re: Hydro-Dipped Camo Results(Pics)

I agree... it is a bit on the 'busy' side for me as well, and there is a bit of a sheen to it. Nothing a little hard use and some dust from the field won't cure
wink.gif

How much for coating the skins? Was this @ hydro-dip.com?

To me it looks like a cross between a digital and the WWII German Flektarn pattern, which I have greatly admired.

I get the feeling the practicianer has done this sort of thing before. I'd trust their judgement before I'd trust my own.

Looks danged good to me. I'd take it out, set it down in some underbrush and back away. Be careful to remember exactly where you put it.

I once took my eyes off a Copperhead at a distance of about 20 feet, and when I looked back, I couldn't find it. Scary stuff. The Copperhead had a somewhat similar pattern to your rifle.

Have a look at this.

Greg

I think it looks good, try and take some pictures in the field with it, I'd like to see how well it blends in.

Is the application a one way street? In otther words can it be removed without firing up the blast cabinet?

Thanks

Shane

It was done by VC Finishes. I looked into Hydro-Dip and Freedom Graphics(I think that was the name). They all use the same product. VC Finishes is only about an hour from me, so it saved the hassel of shipping and more importantly, I was able to meet with the owner in person. I am sure you would have to blast it to get it all off. He said that you can have it re-dipped in the same or different pattern. It looks like they blast the skins, spray them with a base coat that goes with the pattern(in this case the lighter tan)and then dip it and finish it with a clear coat. It cost me $150.00, which seems to be the going rate.

On a side note for any hunters out there, he also dips skulls and European style deer mounts in camo (or any pattern). Cool stuff.

The pattern is of secondary importance if you're discussing the process. I like the pattern you chose, and the durability of the coating can be improved upon with clear Duracoat or similar over the top.

I like the pattern and I'd say that $150 is most definitely worth it, nice choice.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pattern is of secondary importance if you're discussing the process. I like the pattern you chose, and the durability of the coating can be improved upon with clear Duracoat or similar over the top.

I like the pattern and I'd say that $150 is most definitely worth it, nice choice.

-matt </div></div>

I second the DuraCoat clear.... You could tone down the sheen with a matte clear as well as protect your investment in the dipping.

If you go to Lauer Weaponry's site they have an add on the home page about this very thing.. (Clearing a dip)

Looks real nice by the way....

I avoided painting it due to comments expressed here on AICS skins being problematic. I picked up an extra set of skins that another member had painted with Alumihyde(sp?) and they turned out nice. Next time around, I will try it myself.

honeslty I dig it.

But some pics in the bushes are needed!

I saw some pics of another rifle dipped in digi-camo and it looked similar, like the squares were enlongated, but it looked good, as does yours. I'm more fond of a nice camo paint job but that's strictly a matter of personal preference.

You could spray it with clear matte Duracoat as has been metioned or take it outside and throw some dirt on it.

I believe they can do scopes as well, but don't warranty the work. They have to submerse it in water, so I guess it would depend on how waterproof your scope was. No thanks!

My opinion on this whole process has been that it is a moderatly priced option for someone who does not want to put the time and effort into doing a quality paint job or for someone who wants a decent looking finish, but is concerned that they might screw it up if they did it themselves.

Next time, I think I will take the plunge and start painting.

I had a bro who lived by the mantra, "Dont sweat the small stuff, and it's ALL small stuff."

Rifle looks fine. No need to sweat the results.

Now, go beat the heck out of it and let me know how it holds up. Inquiring minds want to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me it looks like a cross between a digital and the WWII German Flektarn pattern, which I have greatly admired.

I get the feeling the practicianer has done this sort of thing before. I'd trust their judgement before I'd trust my own.

Looks danged good to me. I'd take it out, set it down in some underbrush and back away. Be careful to remember exactly where you put it.

I once took my eyes off a Copperhead at a distance of about 20 feet, and when I looked back, I couldn't find it. Scary stuff. The Copperhead had a somewhat similar pattern to your rifle.

Have a look at this.

Greg </div></div>

Took me a minute to see it......
whistle.gif

For the time that would be spent trying to paint it, its well worth it to be able to dip it and be done. Wish someone out west here had a system to do that.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the time that would be spent trying to paint it, its well worth it to be able to dip it and be done. Wish someone out west here had a system to do that..... </div></div>

Take a look at www.hydro-dip.com

They are located in Idaho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the time that would be spent trying to paint it, its well worth it to be able to dip it and be done. Wish someone out west here had a system to do that..... </div></div>

Take a look at www.hydro-dip.com

They are located in Idaho</div></div>
I did find them after I posted. Damn google can find anything. To bad they want damn near as much to hydro dip that I paid for my rifle....