• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hydrodipping/cerakoting a laminate stock

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
I'm considering grabbing a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger for a dangerous game gun. I dislike the look of laminate stocks, however. How much more difficult is it (if at all) to apply a hydrodip or a painted finish to a laminate stock than a fiberglass one? If I get the rifle, I'd like to refinish the stock rather than restock it outright.

Thanks in advance.

A laminate stock is an easy paint. You just have to sand the surface for adhesion, wipe it down with laqeur thinner or denatured alcohol and have at it.

I'll second what Lash told you. I painted this one and it was pretty easy. It's a Boyds laminate.

Attachments

• photo71198.jpg
    photo71198.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 115
If you use cerakote H-series, cure at a low temp as if were a shitty plastic glock.

Done quite a few walnut and birch laminate- and learned a lesson on one last week.
Always looking for a better mousetrap, I discussed the possibility of using a high-build primer over the wood first with NIC, as I wanted to see if I could fill the woodgrain before Cerakoting...
They didn't see an issue with it, so I went with it.
It was a four color, stencil pattern "H" series job (some "wet on wet" because you can only do one partial cure with H series).
Looked beautiful as I opened the oven door- then I sh** my pants as I removed it from the oven.

The entire coating system had "bubbled", or separated from the wood in many areas. There was great bond of the Cerakote to the primer- but the primer itself had separated.

The only theory I have is that, despite the gas-out I did (to make sure all moisture had been driven out) with the metal parts, that the high-build primer had so effectively sealed/encapsulated the wood that as the air within the wood expanded in the oven (it was all low-temp, 160 degrees) it literally separated the coating system from the wood to escape.

Whether that theory's right or wrong...won't be doing that again. Now I have the fun of sanding the remainder off and re-doing the job. Oh well...chalk it up to a learning experience.

I figured I would follow up on this thread, since I finally picked up the rifle and decided to refinish the stock. As recommended, a good sanding, Some Bondo over the checkering areas that had been sanded down, priming and painting, and I am much happier with it. After finishing it, I decided that I wanted to add back some texture to the forearm and grip, so I remanded those areas, added some Marine-Tex, and repainted. Overall, a pretty easy job. Here are the before and after pics:

1E4719F7-528E-4E50-B22A-B9BAA31BE498.jpeg
16E10807-F950-486E-BEF6-863B53A7F883.jpeg

Reactions: Brighthighlight