• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hydrographics do it or dont

Kevlars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
USA
Hello Everyone ... would like your input regarding Hydroghics. I looked through the back log somewhat but wanted to get some fresh opinions. I am thinking of getting my entire rifle hydrographed (yes optics too). I am not sure if this is a smart idea. I know it will look awsome, however I dont want to do something to screw up my rifle that took me so long to get. I am looking for two things:

1) Reasons to do it or not

2) And if there are enough reasons to do it ... and really no drawbacks, a place that does a great job and will not take 10 years to get back.

Thanks for your input

Re: Hydrographics do it or dont

Looks cool but won't hold up. Waste of money imho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.freedomgraphix.com in Ada, OK </div></div>

I hate to think. Their phone is not working.....
frown.gif

Adam,

who did your Hydrographics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks cool but won't hold up. Waste of money imho.

41 </div></div>
I agree 100% I have been dealing with this crap in the archery industry for years and it doesn't last if you use your gear. The acids in your sweat wear the grip areas off in less than a year and it looks like crap. Krylon holds up better, and gunkote, duracoat, and cerakote way longer than that.

I have a McMillan A5 done in Multicam by Lakota Ind. It's been at least 2 years and probably a bit more and it has held up just fine. I have an AR-15 also with Mukticam from Lakota and the only wear is on the brass deflector.

Partial response:

I just had some AI skins done in MultiCam via VC Finishes (Hydro process) in Michigan. They were recommended by Nick at GrandRiverTactical.
Just got them back last week so other than installing them (looks great), I can't vouch for the durability.
I wanted some pattern to break up the solid ranger green it was before. If it wears as the guys are saying, I don't think it'll bother me. FWIW, it cost me $120 plus shipping to them.
I defer to the others' experiences as to what holds up the best.

You guys having good success with your film dips, did the companies give them a clear coating to help protect it? All my factory finished stuff is junk, and a few things I had done in 2008 were worn out within a year. Sounds like they are developing a better product recently. The patterns offered are really neat.

If done correctly it holds up as well as anything out there, the last step is application of a clear matte coat of a very strong protective coating.

We use

Roberts Outdoor Hydrographics
1780 N Church Rd, STE B
Liberty MO, 64068
# (816) 781 9985
www.robertsoutdoorhydrographics.com

The Owner Chris Roberts is good to go and is normally a 2 week or so turnarround.

VC will do the scope, but they say they will not warranty the work, just because of the nature of dipping a scope. They do it, and they come out nice, but not sure how it lasts, as I can not speak from personal experience, because I have not had one of mine dipped. The regular stock dipping is fantastic, and mine looks new after 3 hard match seasons across the country.

BTW, they do offer Multicam, though it is not listed on the site.

H20 imagining is pretty quick and does a great job. I have had several bows done there and have been pleased with everyone of them. I had an issue with one item and they took care of it with a two day turn around.

I don't think I would have a firearm done though.

I had a local shop do my AR-10 in woodland digital about a year ago with a reasonable turn-around time and price.
ar10.jpg

After reassembling the rifle I hinged it open and closed on the front take-down pin to install the bolt etc. When I went to insert a magazine the magazine wouldn’t go in.
cracks.jpg
There had been enough build-up of material on the lug of the upper receiver that when I hinged the rifle open it cracked the lower receiver and pushed material into the magazine well. After a short period of severe nausea I used vice grips to bend the material back into place and removed the offending material from the upper receiver lug.
The rifle still shoots beautifully and looks nice but I know those cracks are there and it still causes me periodic loss of appetite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.freedomgraphix.com in Ada, OK </div></div>

+ 1 on Hondo. He dipped my AICS skins in MC, great job, under 3 weeks. And it is quite durable.

The hydrographic process is a very durable process if done correctly. I have a shop just outside of Kansas City, MO. We do all of GAP dipping for them.

Once the item is dipped we put up to 3 coats of clear over the pattern witch protects it from scratches and normal wear and tear.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask or contact me at the information below.

Roberts Outdoor Hydrographics
www.outdoorhydrographics.com
816-500-4796

Going on three seasons with mine, and it has held up very well. Just like anything, if you do it right, it will last. Based on my experience, I would do it again.

Rifle6.jpg

These coatings look great! I'm going to have to send my AICS skins out to have them done.

Im sending my whole rifle out--- scope, stock and barrel ... all in desert digital Cammo...

I will post pictures when it gets done ... sending it out next month.

Hey,

You know you could have that repaired / reinforced with some Devcon or JB Weld?

Perfect for that type of application and maybe youd have to have the lower dipped again?

Derek

whe first saw this mentioned it brought to mind those water slide decals from model kits i used to make when i was young. which did hold up after you kit was clear coated. but apparently they hold up. something to consider.