• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hypothetical question for collectors: Are you willing to pay more for a low S/N

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
Are you? Say you collect Kimber 1911s (don't ask me why, but a lot of people seem to so I'll use it for this example), and they came out with a Special Edition, limited run makes up of something with decently broad appeal. Let's call it a "Lonestar Edition." would you be willing to pay more for a #1 or #2 serial number vs a #50 vs. a #200? would you pay a couple hundred more for the ability to pick a specific serial number if it was still available? I don't buy guns to 'collect' I buy guns to shoot, S/Ns are totally irrelevant to me, so Im trying to gain a little insight here.

I collect OM Ruger Blackhawks. Yes! Single digit sn’s are worth more than 2 digits, which are worth more than 3 digits. But thats about as far as it goes

I collect OM Ruger Blackhawks. Yes! Single digit sn’s are worth more than 2 digits, which are worth more than 3 digits. But thats about as far as it goes

assuming all other things are equal (condition, items included, etc.,) how much more is a single digit worth than a 2 digit or 3 digit in your eyes?

Unless it's a really cool SN like 100000 or 555555 not worth anything extra. However, for M1 Garands, the early serial numbers that tend to get more money are low SA serial numbers in the 3, 4 and 5 digit range.

assuming all other things are equal (condition, items included, etc.,) how much more is a single digit worth than a 2 digit or 3 digit in your eyes?
There is a publication, Red Eagle News that has prices on low SN Rugers. Shooting from hip, single digit worth 2x as much as 3 digit. This weeds out serious collectors pretty quik

Reactions: kmontang
With old guns, I typically only pay attention to serial number for production year or estimated production year. That’s just my use for them, usually IDs them as the correct generation or pre/post war. That changes price more than the actual number from my experience.

Recently I have paid a "little" more for a M17 Surplus with a low digit SN. If you look at Gbroker, the low SN's seem to sell for a "little" more than one in the same condition as a higher serial number.

As stated above, serial numbers can make a difference. Sometimes it can mean the difference between a safe firearm or one that needs thoroughly inspected before firing.

Yes, to a select few, having a very low serial makes a lot of difference. You kind of start narrowing the market down though when you go to buy/sell based off of that criteria.

I don't really get into serial numbers. I have a decent revolver collection from the three main US manufacturers, and I'd rather own three P&R Smith and Wesson revolvers than one extremely low Pre-29. Same thing with my Colts and old model Blackhawks.

But I will never tell anyone what they can't collect...besides, it keeps the guys with extremely deep pockets from jumping into the casual collecting world and raising prices even higher than they already are.

Reactions: kmontang
only for collector type guns. Like stated before, number of digits can matter for value. For me I collect les Baer pistols. He has moved his operation a couple times i will pay a little more the older guns

It would depend. Collector appraisal/value takes it into account if it makes a difference. If someone told me it made a difference to my offer they'd have to show me my error.