• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear I’ll Never Sell This Piece of Junk

jakelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2011
    Norman, OK
    Anyone have a piece of gear they’ve picked up along the way that works well despite basically being junk? I’ll start:

Twelve or more years ago, I picked this up in a Billings MT pawn shop for around $50. I have never treated it well, when I moved it got thrown in the box with tripods and reloading presses, whatever. I’ve always known I was going to replace it sometime and it was just filling a hole. I know I scratched the lenses, which hasn’t hurt the performance, and I probably dented the objective ring. The thing is, I have grabbed this thing hundreds of times, and it has always done it’s job. In fact, I don’t know how much more I need a spotting scope to do. Somewhere along the way I started to trust this thing. Anyhow, that’s my ghetto love story…

1BC1D1A6-9651-486C-93E7-8066DE261D5A.jpeg
    A437F391-653A-44E4-8257-E66D67EB8DFD.jpeg
    104DD29F-B367-4A3A-BB58-F2826493D525.jpeg

If this is the long eye relief model, the regular eye relief model must be contact lenses.

I have one of those same Burris's , though I do believe it's a lower magnification. Got it as a Christmas present(?) in the mid-late 90's maybe?
    I used it a long time with a home made bench clamp mount I made. Then one part broke and it would pan 45 degrees freely. Rather than you know, fixing it, I lived with it for years until it became too much of a PITA so I stopped bringing it. With all the used / cheap tripod heads around, I really need to address that. Works well enough for most of my range use.

I dunno, I've culled most of the bonafied junk from my gear. Maybe the closest thing would be the Burris Tactical rings and the Remington 783 they're attached too. I got the rings ages ago and they've been on several guns but have just kept on working. Nothing broken, no ring marks, no scope slippages, by all accounts $50 rings should've broken by now.

I got a good deal on the 783 but it occasionally gets light primer strikes and it's a weird action length so accessories are limited. That being said it's a fun project gun and blaster of .223 ammo out to 500 yards.

20220206_151744.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
    Anyone have a piece of gear they’ve picked up along the way that works well despite basically being junk? I’ll start:

Twelve or more years ago, I picked this up in a Billings MT pawn shop for around $50. I have never treated it well, when I moved it got thrown in the box with tripods and reloading presses, whatever. I’ve always known I was going to replace it sometime and it was just filling a hole. I know I scratched the lenses, which hasn’t hurt the performance, and I probably dented the objective ring. The thing is, I have grabbed this thing hundreds of times, and it has always done it’s job. In fact, I don’t know how much more I need a spotting scope to do. Somewhere along the way I started to trust this thing. Anyhow, that’s my ghetto love story…

View attachment 7837105View attachment 7837106View attachment 7837107

If this is the long eye relief model, the regular eye relief model must be contact lenses.

Funny! I have one, over 20 years, still works fine