• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors I’m indecisive: Nomad 30 or Sandman S, something else?

Craqas

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Talk me in/out of a Nomad 30 or Sandman S, or something else. I just ordered a Nomad 30 (debated a trash panda as well), and just realized if I’m spending this much. I want as much input as possible, I’ve searched and searched plenty. But I’m naturally indecisive, so here I am.

-Would like to keep it in the same price range, +/-
-Will probably buy a dedicated 556 can later on. Have an obsidian 45 already. So I need a .30 cal can
-I know the strengths and weaknesses of both; no full auto, occasional mag dumps, variety use on range days and will be used to hunt
-Width of the can is irrelevant to me, but do like the aesthetics of a slimmer can
-I have no brand loyalty and I would like to put something I’m jail asap
-Weight is not the biggest factor for me. (I say this now)
-Will be tossed around my 16” AR, 10.5” P556, my .270, couple Henry’s and my future gun (CTR Mayb?)
-I would like something that will be appreciated in my arsenal for life, and can be passed down etc.

I do like the concept of Keymo, but if I were to go the Nomad route, I’m leaning towards Rearden.

Last edited:
Nomad all the way. The only possible reason for choosing the Sandman would be sustained full-auto use (and if that were indeed a driving factor, there would be other better choices).

Edit: autocorrect failure

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas and Craqas
I posed a similar question last year, and the hands down answer was the Nomad30. Of course I'm over 8 months on e file------

Reactions: Craqas
Yup, Nomad is an awesome can. I have a ti and I have an L that should be out of jail in 30 days or less. I'm strongly considering getting a reg 30 now but I also need another 9mm/45 can so first world problems I know

Talk me in/out of a Nomad 30 or Sandman S, or something else. I just ordered a Nomad 30 (debated a trash panda as well), and just realized if I’m spending this much. I want as much input as possible, I’ve searched and searched plenty. But I’m naturally indecisive, so here I am.

-Will probably buy a dedicated 556 can later on. Have an obsidian 45 already. So I need a .30 cal can
-I know the strengths and weaknesses of both; no full auto, occasional mag dumps, variety use on range days and will be used to hunt
-Width of the can is irrelevant to me, but do like the aesthetics of a slimmer can
-Will be tossed around my 16” AR, 10.5” P556, my .270, couple Henry’s and my future gun (CTR Mayb?)
-I would like something that will be appreciated in my arsenal for life, and can be passed down etc.

I do like the concept of Keymo, but if I were to go the Nomad route, I’m leaning towards Rearden.
Of the criteria you listed, the Nomad-30… But if you can wait just a little bit longer, @AndrewKing at Otter Creek Labs is working on a larger stainless duty-rated 7.62 version of their famous Polonium 5.56 can. It sounds like that might be exactly what you’re looking for. 👍🏼

If you weren’t going to include mag dumps, then I’d recommend you also take a look at the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S. It’s one of the most impressive 7” cans on the market.

Own a Sandman S and a Nomad Ti. Both are great cans, but I shoot the Sandman more. Just like the fact that I can put it on a 10.5" upper and shoot the hell out of it without worrying about damaging the can. And I have a couple of KeyMo mounts so switching between rifles is a snap. And I actually kind of like how the can balances on the end of a 10.5" rifle and believe the extra weight helps me keep the barrel on target.

However, the Nomad is lighter (and the TI version is ridiculously light) and although I have done no actual measuring, my impression is that it is a little quieter. And it's still a rugged can (at least the non-TI version). And even though you're not that concerned about weight, the Xeno mounts (don't know anything about Reardon) are pretty nice and will save you some weight over a KeyMo mount. But KeyMo is the tits if you are doing a lot of switching between rifles.

In the end they are both great cans. The Nomad will be lighter and slightly better at suppression (IMHO). The Sandman can stand up to anything you could conceivably throw at it and, if you're switching between guns a lot, KeyMo is nice. But if I'm being honest the Sandman is probably overbuilt for 99.9% of what I'm doing with it.

I use a Nomad 30 on my AR's and a Nomad Ti on my bolt guns. Seems to work pretty good. Want to get a Nomad L but already having a 30, not sure the cost is worth it.

@Craqas , in addition to Keymo, Dead Air offers the Xeno mounting system, which is pretty cool.
Xeno is high on my list. I have 6+ months to decide lol
I posed a similar question last year, and the hands down answer was the Nomad30. Of course I'm over 8 months on e file------
Hopefully not too much longer. What mount are you going with?
Yup, Nomad is an awesome can. I have a ti and I have an L that should be out of jail in 30 days or less. I'm strongly considering getting a reg 30 now but I also need another 9mm/45 can so first world problems I know
I have a feeling I’ll be in your position in the future. Haha. People weren’t kidding, suppressors are low key addicting. I want another can already, and my nomad form 3 hasn’t ever cleared 😂
Of the criteria you listed, the Nomad-30… But if you can wait just a little bit longer, @AndrewKing at Otter Creek Labs is working on a larger stainless duty-rated 7.62 version of their famous Polonium 5.56 can. It sounds like that might be exactly what you’re looking for. 👍🏼

If you weren’t going to include mag dumps, then I’d recommend you also take a look at the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S. It’s one of the most impressive 7” cans on the market.
Definitely will look into it. Thank you!
Own a Sandman S and a Nomad Ti. Both are great cans, but I shoot the Sandman more. Just like the fact that I can put it on a 10.5" upper and shoot the hell out of it without worrying about damaging the can. And I have a couple of KeyMo mounts so switching between rifles is a snap. And I actually kind of like how the can balances on the end of a 10.5" rifle and believe the extra weight helps me keep the barrel on target.

However, the Nomad is lighter (and the TI version is ridiculously light) and although I have done no actual measuring, my impression is that it is a little quieter. And it's still a rugged can (at least the non-TI version). And even though you're not that concerned about weight, the Xeno mounts (don't know anything about Reardon) are pretty nice and will save you some weight over a KeyMo mount. But KeyMo is the tits if you are doing a lot of switching between rifles.

In the end they are both great cans. The Nomad will be lighter and slightly better at suppression (IMHO). The Sandman can stand up to anything you could conceivably throw at it and, if you're switching between guns a lot, KeyMo is nice. But if I'm being honest the Sandman is probably overbuilt for 99.9% of what I'm doing with it.
Thats the consensus I’m seeing with people who own both about the sandman, but I don’t mind that. Also would like something that will outlast anything that I’ll ever put it through.

Keymo is always in the back of my mind, if something pops up on classifieds anywhere for half the price, I’m all over it.

And Lets be honest. Ill prob end up with both soon enough. Or if SS runs a promo…

Last edited:
Xeno is high on my list.

Hopefully not too much longer.

So many options out there.

Thats the consensus I’m seeing with people who own both. Lets be honest. Ill prob end up with both soon enough. Or if SS runs a promo…
I’m going to get the YHM cans for my 223 blasting. They are tough and cheaper than a sandman

When we 1st got the AG opinion allowing cans here, I bought 3 at once. Trying to save some money, I got a YHM 7.62 Phantom SS. It's a heavy sumbitch!!

A few years later, I bought a Phantom Ti. I still like and use the SS on heavy barreled rifles, just saying, if I'd bought the Ti in the 1st place, I probably wouldn't have 2 .30 cal rifle cans.

When we 1st got the AG opinion allowing cans here, I bought 3 at once. Trying to save some money, I got a YHM 7.62 Phantom SS. It's a heavy sumbitch!!

A few years later, I bought a Phantom Ti. I still like and use the SS on heavy barreled rifles, just saying, if I'd bought the Ti in the 1st place, I probably wouldn't have 2 .30 cal rifle cans.
If I could go back, I would have bought the nomad 30 first and then the nomad ti. I haven’t compared the 30 and the L but damn the l makes a 24” rifle longggggggggg. But it’s so quiet

Xeno is high on my list. I have 6+ months to decide lol

Hopefully not too much longer. What mount are you going with?

I have a feeling I’ll be in your position in the future. Haha. People weren’t kidding, suppressors are low key addicting. I want another can already, and my nomad form 3 hasn’t ever cleared 😂

Thats the consensus I’m seeing with people who own both about the sandman, but I don’t mind that. Also would like something that will outlast anything that I’ll ever put it through.

Keymo is always in the back of my mind, if something pops up on classifieds anywhere for half the price, I’m all over it.

And Lets be honest. Ill prob end up with both soon enough. Or if SS runs a promo…
I have xeno on 3 and 419 on the other 2, need to get the adapter soon. I wanted to use the Hellfire Match on the heavy guns.

If I could go back, I would have bought the nomad 30 first and then the nomad ti. I haven’t compared the 30 and the L but damn the l makes a 24” rifle longggggggggg. But it’s so quiet
My Phantoms are the same size, but there's a HUGE weight difference! Don't have the specs handy, but the Ti has to be near 1/2 the weight of the SS.

My Phantoms are the same size, but there's a HUGE weight difference! Don't have the specs handy, but the Ti has to be near 1/2 the weight of the SS.
i believe it. i handled the nomad 30 ti when i was in the store looking at my nomad 30.. huge difference