• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I’m new here. I’m also fairly new to long range shooting!

Sc@tt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2023
Newport Beach, California
About a year ago, a buddy talked me into buying an M1A. He and his brother had been shooting them over the years in friendly competition against each other. I purchased one, and joined them in the fun. Of course the long-range-bug got me! My next purchase was a Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 scope. I didn’t know how to zero the gun. I didn’t know anything about the scope. So I payed for a private lesson at a company by the name of Firearm Training Associates out in Eastvale. The trainer (Brandon) gave me a lot of great information and helped me zero the weapon at 100 yards. Great stuff! I was getting tighter groups at the range.

As we continued going to the range (Rahagas in Eastvale) I started meeting people that had the cool setups. The chronographs, the ballistic meters, the tricked out guns, etc…. Out of those meetings, I was getting more and more interested in this “long-range” shooting thing.

I signed up for a group (“introduction to long range shooting”) lesson with Brandon to go over the fundamentals of long range shooting. It would be 2 full days (9-5) of getting to know how to work with the scope, etc….. The days the class was scheduled was going to rain, and so I canceled. I rescheduled for the next class in July.

Gun stores are a dangerous place for a guy like me! I was at Turner’s in Fountain Valley, picking up some .308, 178grain, with a BC of .527 (badass bullet). I happened to spot this Masterpiece Arms 308, Bolt Action rifle with a 26” barrel. It had the adjustable cheek riser and length of pull that you don’t need an Allen wrench for. It had a cool this and a cool that! You know, the nice trigger, the custom mag release, a Curtis action, etc…. You also know that I ended up with that puppy!!

I swapped my Nightforce Scope from the Springfield to the MPA. My buddy and I went back to Rahagas and he was my spotter for that shooting session. I needed a spotter, because at that point I hadn’t worked on “Recoil Management “. The groups were getting tighter. (Between 1/4-3 MOA). That was serious improvement for me! I was thrilled! That was before I started using the ballistic App (Strelok). Those results were based purely on taking a shot, making a correction on the scope, and taking another shot. At that point, I was fine using that method.

A couple of weeks later, my buddy and I went to the Pala Gun Range. To me, it is a long range shooter’s ideal spot to shoot. I met a guy out there that was shooting some really tight groups at a 100yds. There were plenty of guys out there that were. Most of them were competing at the PRS matches. These guys know what they’re doing. Some were shooting the 308’s. But most were shooting the 6MM, and 6.5MM guns. They also had the Kestrel meters. I was shooting at 200, 300, 400, and 678 yard targets. I was having a blast, literally!!

The guy that I met (Ammar) at Pala was competing at the PRS matches. He also owns a company (Trace Ammo) that sells custom made Ammo. I ended up placing an order for 400 rounds. I can’t wait to see the results.

I now have my own weather station/ballistic meter. I’ve got my own Kestrel!!

Ammar then introduced me to an active duty Marine that gave me my second lesson out at the Pala range. This guy (Seve Crabtree), spent 4hrs teaching me the fundamentals of long range shooting. He was thorough! I learned about my scope in depth, recoil management, proper breathing, trigger pull, bolt manipulation, etc…. He also checked and made any corrections to the inputs I had made to my Kestrel. He is well versed in his trade, and enjoys teaching! I learned so much in that lesson. I plan to take many more lessons from him.

Unfortunately my M1A will sit in the gun closet. And in the near future, my 2nd focal plane scope will do the same, as I will be purchasing a Zero Compromise, 1st focal plane, MIL scope.

Anyway, long introduction, but I’m happy to be here, and hope to meet some new friends!

Scott

spent 4hrs teaching me the fundamentals of long range shooting. He was thorough! I learned about my scope in depth, recoil management, proper breathing, trigger pull, bolt manipulation, etc…. He also checked and made any corrections to the inputs I had made to my Kestrel.
You lucked out bumping into a good source of info. The guys at Pala PRS matches are good shooters. Hopefully, the class you go to will be as informative.

Reactions: Sc@tt
Welcome! This place is an excellent source for learning. You have been bitten by the LR bug. Get ready to become "poor";)

Although, I am saddened to hear the M1A has been downgraded to safe-queen....
Dt1xWclm.jpg

Safe queen (LOL). We’ll still go out on dates. Thinking back, I got into this to hang out with my buddies who also have M1A’s. It will still be fun to compete with them, using the same rifle!

Here’s a picture of my son shooting my Springfield.

Attachments

• ED6BC111-4FD0-4716-AAFC-2B39838AA2EA.jpeg
    ED6BC111-4FD0-4716-AAFC-2B39838AA2EA.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 49
About a year ago, a buddy talked me into buying an M1A. He and his brother had been shooting them over the years in friendly competition against each other. I purchased one, and joined them in the fun. Of course the long-range-bug got me! My next purchase was a Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 scope. I didn’t know how to zero the gun. I didn’t know anything about the scope. So I payed for a private lesson at a company by the name of Firearm Training Associates out in Eastvale. The trainer (Brandon) gave me a lot of great information and helped me zero the weapon at 100 yards. Great stuff! I was getting tighter groups at the range.

As we continued going to the range (Rahagas in Eastvale) I started meeting people that had the cool setups. The chronographs, the ballistic meters, the tricked out guns, etc…. Out of those meetings, I was getting more and more interested in this “long-range” shooting thing.

I signed up for a group (“introduction to long range shooting”) lesson with Brandon to go over the fundamentals of long range shooting. It would be 2 full days (9-5) of getting to know how to work with the scope, etc….. The days the class was scheduled was going to rain, and so I canceled. I rescheduled for the next class in July.

Gun stores are a dangerous place for a guy like me! I was at Turner’s in Fountain Valley, picking up some .308, 178grain, with a BC of .527 (badass bullet). I happened to spot this Masterpiece Arms 308, Bolt Action rifle with a 26” barrel. It had the adjustable cheek riser and length of pull that you don’t need an Allen wrench for. It had a cool this and a cool that! You know, the nice trigger, the custom mag release, a Curtis action, etc…. You also know that I ended up with that puppy!!

I swapped my Nightforce Scope from the Springfield to the MPA. My buddy and I went back to Rahagas and he was my spotter for that shooting session. I needed a spotter, because at that point I hadn’t worked on “Recoil Management “. The groups were getting tighter. (Between 1/4-3 MOA). That was serious improvement for me! I was thrilled! That was before I started using the ballistic App (Strelok). Those results were based purely on taking a shot, making a correction on the scope, and taking another shot. At that point, I was fine using that method.

A couple of weeks later, my buddy and I went to the Pala Gun Range. To me, it is a long range shooter’s ideal spot to shoot. I met a guy out there that was shooting some really tight groups at a 100yds. There were plenty of guys out there that were. Most of them were competing at the PRS matches. These guys know what they’re doing. Some were shooting the 308’s. But most were shooting the 6MM, and 6.5MM guns. They also had the Kestrel meters. I was shooting at 200, 300, 400, and 678 yard targets. I was having a blast, literally!!

The guy that I met (Ammar) at Pala was competing at the PRS matches. He also owns a company (Trace Ammo) that sells custom made Ammo. I ended up placing an order for 400 rounds. I can’t wait to see the results.

I now have my own weather station/ballistic meter. I’ve got my own Kestrel!!

Ammar then introduced me to an active duty Marine that gave me my second lesson out at the Pala range. This guy (Seve Crabtree), spent 4hrs teaching me the fundamentals of long range shooting. He was thorough! I learned about my scope in depth, recoil management, proper breathing, trigger pull, bolt manipulation, etc…. He also checked and made any corrections to the inputs I had made to my Kestrel. He is well versed in his trade, and enjoys teaching! I learned so much in that lesson. I plan to take many more lessons from him.

Unfortunately my M1A will sit in the gun closet. And in the near future, my 2nd focal plane scope will do the same, as I will be purchasing a Zero Compromise, 1st focal plane, MIL scope.

Anyway, long introduction, but I’m happy to be here, and hope to meet some new friends!

Scott
Welcome my new Friend.There is a Wealth of Knowledge here,, and a Little BS too.. You will enjoy it...
OKAY... Advice....Impotant Advice.... If yopu are not reloading now..Plan on it soon. and Start as soon as you can ..Dont buy alot of stuff you dont need.Watch You Tube to build you parets list.Otherwise you will buy stuff you may never use or 2 of the same thing...And never use another persons Load data for your rifle.Start Low and work up slowly. Dont be afraid to ask Questions.

Welcome my new Friend.There is a Wealth of Knowledge here,, and a Little BS too.. You will enjoy it...
OKAY... Advice....Impotant Advice.... If yopu are not reloading now..Plan on it soon. and Start as soon as you can ..Dont buy alot of stuff you dont need.Watch You Tube to build you parets list.Otherwise you will buy stuff you may never use or 2 of the same thing...And never use another persons Load data for your rifle.Start Low and work up slowly. Dont be afraid to ask Questions.
That sounds like great advice! I’ve been attending YouTube school for many other shooting related items. It only makes sense to have control of my loads. I thought about it, but wondered if I’d need an FFL to buy some of the products. I’ll definitely check it out! Thank you.

That sounds like great advice! I’ve been attending YouTube school for many other shooting related items. It only makes sense to have control of my loads. I thought about it, but wondered if I’d need an FFL to buy some of the products. I’ll definitely check it out! Thank you.
Thanks for the welcome. Well!, when i jump in the pool, it's always head first. I took your advice and purchased an Auto Trikler V4, an AMP annealer, an RCBS Turret press, all the Redding dies that are available, Lapua cases, 155gr Berger Hybrid Target bullets, and some N135 Vihtavouri powder. I hired a Gunnery sergeant with 18 years of handloading experience. We've come up with some good loads. Still working to find that perfect recipe. Definitely need to drop the S/D and E/S numbers.

Welcome. Hope to see you at a Pala match soon. I made huge improvements in my shooting from shooting matches at Pala and others.