• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I’ve got some research questions for any Marines

Linkpimp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
So-Cal / OC Area
Hey guys, I’m doing research for project of mine, and I could really use some help / advise.

See I’ve done a few WWII nose art projects representing the Air Force, here’s my latest one..

IMG_9252-5.jpg

IMG_9256-4.jpg

IMG_9239-3.jpg

IMG_9258-3.jpg

So now it’s time to move the Marines, I’ve spent the last few days / hours on line researching and now I have tons of questions / verifications I’m looking for as I don't, <span style="font-weight: bold">DON'T</span> want to misrepresent the Marines in anyway possible.. This is simply my tribute to them Via WWII Nose art on WWII .30 Carbine rifle and a ammo box that I’ve already prepped and custom mixed and painted in a 1942 Marine olive green.

IMG_9598.jpg

So with that said, I was kind of hoping that one of out kind and knowledgeable Marines could help me out?

Here are my questions..

Which on of these is correct? Or are they all wrong?

Marine 1 Battalion

514px-1st_MARDIV_2_insignia.png

2nd Battalion

CC3PHw2kKGrHqEOKnIEz1IRiFcHBNMpJFyFFQ_1.jpg

Or is it this one?

2d-Marine-Division-Version-.gif

Or this one?

2d-Marine-Division-Ver3.gif

3rd Battalion

PatchUSMC3rdMarDivF_small.jpg

Or this one?

url]

I was also told that these are the one’s for the 1-4th Battalions in here?

url]

Re: I’ve got some research questions for any Marine’s

This is a regiment right? If so, for what / which battalion?

110660831611_0.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

What / where does this fit
1st ballion 4 Marines?

priorservice_2150_25855694.jpg

Doesn’t it go
Battalion
Regiment
Then individual units?

Or is it something like this? Again I’m sorry I don't know and Yes I’ve done lots of research that’s why I’m confused.. lol..
1st Battalion
1-4 Marines
1-4 (something else)
Etc to gets to the 2nd Battalion?

What does this stand for? The internet said it represent the Infantry, is that correct?

imagesCANC5GKM.jpg

Was this a real WWII patch / Unit?

1_28adbab1d21b260db32682fa5c167a6d.jpg

Re: I’ve got some research questions for any Marine’s

Does this represent all Marines, in an overall general kind of way??

imagesCAJAOLL5.jpg

Is this a Marine or Air Force theme / saying?

nose_art.jpg

What was the average rank? Or at least the one that everyone knows? Or should be shown?

imagesCAW8L2M6.jpg

General questions:
Is any one Battalion more important than the other one? Or are they all equal In WW II?
Is any regiment more important than the other one? Or are they all equal In WW II ?

When did the phrase “Devil Dogs” start? WWI or WWII?

Were there Devil Dogs in the pacific fighting WWII? Or what is mainly WW II / Germany ?

Thank you so much (ahead of time) for your time and confirmations / answers..

They are very much appreciated..

Link.

Re: I’ve got some research questions for any Marines

"Devil Dogs" traces its roots to WWI, and in German is "Tufelhunden". Marines assaulting through the woods with the gas masks on looked like hounds from hell, and fought like it too.

Your patches are Division patches, not Battalion, except for the one with the sword as I don't recognize that one.

Each Bn and Regiment also has its own patches.

An excellent quick reference is actually "Sgt Grit" at http://www.grunt.com/patches

Also, you might want to focus more on one of the battles from WWII rather than the entire war. Some of the more notable battles are Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Tarawa, but one still can't forget about Bougainville, Okinawa or Pelileu or the many others that were fought.

Guadalcanal for myself seems to be one of the most revered of the battles. First American offensive of the war, the Marines were against some of the hardest troops and odds in the Pacific, and despite being vastly outnumbered, malaria and dysentery running rampant through the units, and even being "abandoned" by the US Navy for a short period they were still victorious. The battles were so fierce even the pilots grabbed their rifles to take to the defensive lines. The Cactus Air Force, Henderson Field, Edson's Ridge, Vandergrift, Puller.... I could go on and on.

Just thought though... They didn't have too many M1 Carbines there. They hit that island with M1903's and got Garands later. The later battles they had them such as Iwo or Okinawa. Got a Thompson?

No one Battalion is any more important than any other. That's why Marines today don't even wear unit patches. Marines are Marines. It's all about the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

One prevalent rank... Meh... not really other than the Private because they're always around. If I HAD to pick one to represent the Corps I would say Gunnery Sergeant, but I'm a bit biased towards that rank anyhow.
wink.gif

Good luck and make sure you post pics of the final product. It should be pretty cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Devil Dogs" traces its roots to WWI, and in German is "Tufelhunden". Marines assaulting through the woods with the gas masks on looked like hounds from hell, and fought like it too.

Your patches are Division patches, not Battalion, except for the one with the sword as I don't recognize that one.

Each Bn and Regiment also has its own patches.

An excellent quick reference is actually "Sgt Grit" at http://www.grunt.com/patches </div></div>

Ok cool.. GREAT link, I'll do some more research there.. Thank you for the clarification.. But I still have lots of unanswered questions too.. I'm hoping that the link helps..

link..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, you might want to focus more on one of the battles from WWII rather than the entire war. Some of the more notable battles are Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Tarawa, but one still can't forget about Bougainville, Okinawa or Pelileu or the many others that were fought.

Guadalcanal for myself seems to be one of the most revered of the battles. First American offensive of the war, the Marines were against some of the hardest troops and odds in the Pacific, and despite being vastly outnumbered, malaria and dysentery running rampant through the units, and even being "abandoned" by the US Navy for a short period they were still victorious. The battles were so fierce even the pilots grabbed their rifles to take to the defensive lines. The Cactus Air Force, Henderson Field, Edson's Ridge, Vandergrift, Puller.... I could go on and on.

Just thought though... They didn't have too many M1 Carbines there. They hit that island with M1903's and got Garands later. The later battles they had them such as Iwo or Okinawa. Got a Thompson?

No one Battalion is any more important than any other. That's why Marines today don't even wear unit patches. Marines are Marines. It's all about the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

One prevalent rank... Meh... not really other than the Private because they're always around. If I HAD to pick one to represent the Corps I would say Gunnery Sergeant, but I'm a bit biased towards that rank anyhow.
wink.gif

Good luck and make sure you post pics of the final product. It should be pretty cool. </div></div>

I’m really hoping / trying to capture the overall Marine experience with the .30 Carbine during WWII in general thou.. This will allow me more freedom as I plan on have both sides different, but still tying in everything at the big picture.. If that makes any sense?.. It’s my understanding that the basic marine / grunt was issued .30 car all throughout the pacific (correct)? So what that said what divisions, regiments, etc would be best suited / represented of all Marines at the time?

Gunnery Sergeant, did they carry the .30 Carbine in WWII?

I’m sorry, I dont mean to pain in the ass, I just want to make sure I get this one right..

Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That patch with the star and indian head is 2ID, Army.

Marine, circa WWII, check this out:

http://www.grunt.com/patches

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...C+WWII&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701 </div></div>

Thank you Sir, but I still have a few more questions if you don't mind? Was this Marine’s or someone else?

nose_art.jpg

Does this represent all Marines, in an overall general kind of way??

imagesCAJAOLL5.jpg

Is any one Battalion more important than the other one? Or are they all equal In WW II?
Is any regiment more important than the other one? Or are they all equal In WW II ?

Again.. thank you so much for your time and penitence with this newb..

Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

They're all important... Some just did different things and fought at different locations. Love the paint. When are you doing the Navy version? Might have some ideas for that one for ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

They're all important... Some just did different things and fought at different locations. </div></div>

Is one more recognizable / famous than the other?, who / what would represent of all Marines the best?.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

They're all important... Some just did different things and fought at different locations. </div></div>

Is one more recognizable / famous than the other?, who / what would represent of all Marines the best?.
</div></div>

I don't know a lot of specifics about Marines but you might look up Okinawa. I think they had a good presence there.

Fair enough Sir.. I don't mean to push, thank you for your time and the information

Link

I can see you're wanting to focus on one unit here. I still say that they were all notable, but if you have to pick one you couldn't go wrong with the Marine Raiders. They commonly used the M1 Carbine in later battles in the war, and they were also a quite notable unit in battle. They were often put in battles way against the odds, and despite still coming out victorious their attrition and casualties wore them down to the point that they couldn't train and replace fast enough to maintain their size. They were redesignated the 4th Marines in early '44 (replacing a unit designation with a nasty experience early in the war).

The unit and its men were notable enough to have 22 ships named after its members.

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Frequently_Requested/Marines%20in%20WWII%20Sheets/Raiders.htm

Here's their emblem:
MARINERAIDERS.png

As for the rest of the Corps, two other symbols reign:
lflaga2.gif

And, of course:
Emblem-312718.gif

Thank you so much.. That’s what I was looking for an overall example of the finest men ever lived and yet recognizable enough to others..

Really appreciate that link.. I’m going to spend some time reading up on a few things..

Thanks again for your time and your service, sir..

Shaun.

While servinf in the Marines, our aircraft had unit 'ID' and USMC. When we Few decided our aircraft needed a little more personality and we used the unit's mascot with a 45 and a Kabar in his gauntleted hands. When we decided to add a sweet assed hapa female on an Ace of Spades, well, CO said,"Take it off Marines". EO just got started and the three fat assed BAM's complained, and yeah, we got told to quit calling 'em BAM's too!

patches.gif

I will not say there were many White Knight's there, but the amount of Paladin's who spent every earned dime on Drinking Beer, Eating Pizza, and Scrogging was plenty, adn many of those monies were spent in a little place called The Lollipop Lounge

Typiccaly in peacetime, the Marine's didn't realy allow us to put a nice 'War Face' on our craft, however, in Afghanistan, I did see many nice War Faces on the craft on the runway, but pics were a huge no-go

Don't use "Oo Rah" since that twerm didn't show up until after wwII or at least wide spread.

if you are looking to sell the piece, don't do a specific unit or battalion, most Marines are loyal to one and won't buy things like that out of loyalty and respect, I won't ever own a Marine Sniper emblem out of respect for the MOS.

Semper Fidelis is the Motto Meaning Always Faithful

Eagle Globe and Anchor Emblem

The Marine Corps was founded in a bar called Tun Tavern

Other popular sayings are "First to Fight" "Semper Fi do or die" "Gung Ho"

Anything to do with Chesty Puller.

Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima

There is the "expert" Badge for rifle (my personal favorite)

The Rifle Creed written in 1941
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We
are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy, but peace!

Good Point 'o8

Keeping it with no unit makes it a lot nicer.

OD Green has always been Marine Green until the damnable Woodland stuff came out. Tun Tavern's Finest! Rabble Rousing Drunkard's with sharpshooter rifles friggin in the riggin! The sea going part must be a part of it as well