• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I ain't as tough as I once was... maybe smarter

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    Am sure there are hungry coyotes out there, and I have reasonable gear for these temps. Ranchers are starting to calve in my AO as well. However with gusts 25-30, any hunting I do till the wind dies will be from the heated cab of my truck. How many of you hunt in these conditions, and whats a rundown of your layering system / gear for frigid conditions? I use multiple layers and adjust as needed based on exertion, gonna try the anti-perspirant on my feet in pac boots. Would love to try and make a few accurate wind calls, from a heated shooting shack. 😂 Woodpile on right is shrinking a bit!
    20210211_111344.jpg

I’ll be out this Saturday for coyote and hogs. High is supposed to be 18 with 10-15mph winds.

I’ll end up with a Sitka base layer, sweat pants then bibs on bottom and on top I’ll have the base, a thick pullover, puffer jacket then a kryptek outer layer jacket.

Glacier gloves, trappers hat, neck gaiter and a couple of hot hands.

I just haven’t figured out how to keep my feet warm. I’ve tried everything.

Layers. Lots of layers. Merino wool. The coldest I usually go out is -20C (-4F). I have a hand warmer pouch that I strap around my waist and I put some hot hands in it for when im sitting. Good boots and wool socks. Balaclava for the face. Good waterproof but breathable outside layer also.

Reactions: DIBBS
    consider Damart thermolactyl double force.. good for still positions... you can also use their heavy socks with well insulated boots... I am still using my original Herman Survivors from 1976, though looking to move on to current boots... my feet however have never been cold in these Herman's... wish they were still family owned like they were back then... 10X hunting mittens with single trigger finger, well insulated, hands stay warm... camo Canada Goose arctic parka and pants.. hood up

Reactions: DIBBS
    Actually, that is the one thing I have not tried yet. I just didn’t like the idea of having a battery strapped to my legs, etc.

Which ones are gtg and I may buy a pair?
    I broke down and bought them this year. Never even knew the battery was there....probably since I was thinking how warm my feet were.

Reactions: Rerun7
    Actually, that is the one thing I have not tried yet. I just didn’t like the idea of having a battery strapped to my legs, etc.

Which ones are gtg and I may buy a pair?

Ha. I wouldn't know. I was hoping to hear your opinion on what you didn't like before I bought a pair!
    I've been eyeballing a brand called Snow Deer Heated Socks for $80 on Amazon.

• Haha
    Reactions: Rerun7
    Even though my old wool hunting sweater stinks...I snuck down a road this am where I had seen a roadkill a yesterday. 18 degrees, surplus wool trigger liner gloves insulated cabellas pants coat and a stocking cap Kenetrek 400 gram boots.

No wind. ;)

I was 300 yards from the remains of the dead deer (disappeared literally overnight 😲) this fellah was angling up the hill @ 35 yards.... closest one in years and I wasn't even calling. Gotta be lucky once in a while!

Coyote was at a 45 degree angle uphill from the rifle. 223AI 7 twist Benchmark 75 grain Amax.

20210214_083326.jpg
    20210214_082952.jpg

Last edited: