• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am bedazzled ...

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Well , I have been thinking on getting me a Savage FLCP-K and an SS 10X42 SWFA scope but I made the mistake of looking up at a black Sako TRG-22 with 26 inches in .308 and now I am all confused ... What should I do , forget all about this magnificent monster and get the Savage and start shooting or wait until I save the 4 times the cost for the Sako ? Of course that the Sako would bring the need for an US optic scope at least, so ... I need some advice here , gentlemen

Re: I am bedazzled ...

Save the money and get good stuff to begin with...ie the SAKO.

If you don't you'll more than likely end up with either two rifles or selling the Savage and losing money...and still have bought the SAKO.

Do you have any other rifles you can shoot while you save for the sako? If you do I say save up for the sako. You dont need the uso as there are many other cheaper scopes out there that would do the sako justice like Nightforce or the vortex pst.

Mac

I'm biast but I don't see the reason for the Sako. You have unlimited barrel and caliber options on the savage without the need for a gunsmith. I don't see its downside.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josey88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well , I have been thinking on getting me a Savage FLCP-K and an SS 10X42 SWFA scope but I made the mistake of looking up at a black Sako TRG-22 with 26 inches in .308 and now I am all confused ... What should I do , forget all about this magnificent monster and get the Savage and start shooting or wait until I save the 4 times the cost for the Sako ? Of course that the Sako would bring the need for an US optic scope at least, so ... I need some advice here , gentlemen </div></div>
LOL,
My first rifle was a Savage in a Mcmillan stock, but it always left me wanting more, then came the Rem 700 5R's (yes two). Still wanting more, I got a custom rifle, then tried a DPMS .308.
Long story short, I sold all of them to get my first TRG with Nightforce scope. Once you get a chance to shoot a TRG you won't want to go back.
Decisions, decisions
SScott

Ok, I guess the question is how long will it take you to save for the sako. If you buy it, are you going to have money for bullets and powder. How do you know if your going to stay with this shooting thing or is it just a phase. I stand by my first answer, buy what you can afford now and shoot the piss out of it.

Get the Sako. If you think looking at it clouded your decision, then I would suggest not shooting one. They have the best triggers hands down. I shot a friends this past summer and if I hadnt had a build in progress I would've bought one.

I'm gonna suggest the Savage.
Honestly, you'll get more out of shooting it and using the Ammo you bought with the saved up money. Plus, it can easily be upgraded with a new stock, barrel, trigger and bottom-metal.

The TRG-22 is no doubt a great rifle, don't get me wrong on that. But if i'm right in saying you're new to this whole thing, there won't be much you can do with that level of accuracy for a long time (and thats not to say that the Savage isn't brilliantly accurate as it is!). Plus, it leaves you with something to look forward to later down the track.

However, if you as me, you should ditch both ideas a buy a Tikka T3... but i'm just Biased.

buy a used savage from on here and save for the sako while shooting and enjoying

The Sako is a hard sell on me. As far as I'm concerned the Sako:

1. Looks cooler
2. Feels nicer
3. Costs 2-3 times more
4. Shoots no better

The Sako will hold it's value better, but if you score a nice deal on a Savage, it'll only lose a couple hundred bucks. Seems to me you can buy a solid used but upgraded Savage for ~$1200. You shouldn't have too much trouble selling it for $800-900 after you've put some good use on it. So you'll take a couple hundred dollar hit on it. Sounds fine.

Don't buy a new Savage, or even a used one with the intent on modifying it. You'll lose your ass on that. Buy a used one somebody else has already "decked out".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the best and cry once! </div></div>

There you go.....

I started long range shooting with a Rem 700, the rifle did shoot good, went the Savage route, because I was always low on money and I wanted to shoot a lot. Now 13 rifles later to include custom jobs, I now have two TRG’s and will be getting a third one. My lesson in all this was that I should have saved and gotten the TRG to start with. I did not save a dime getting the all of the other rifles; I would have saved money just getting the TRG to begin with. My lesson learned.

alexander66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a used savage from on here and save for the sako while shooting and enjoying </div></div>

+1

OP...Gain valuable experience while saving for what ever tickles your fancy later. Find a good deal on a used Savage. Who knows you might even make a few bucks if you're smart about it. Whatever you do don't buy a POS scope. You can buy that used too just pick something with a good warranty like Vortex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a used savage from on here and save for the sako while shooting and enjoying </div></div>

^^^This. Get behind a TRG and shoot it if you can. You may not like the feel of it. On the other hand, you may sell your cars, trucks, wife, kids, house and maybe even the dog to get a SAKO TRG. I don't know. Won't risk it, I love my wife too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alexander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started long range shooting with a Rem 700, the rifle did shoot good, went the Savage route, because I was always low on money and I wanted to shoot a lot. Now 13 rifles later to include custom jobs, I now have two TRG’s and will be getting a third one. My lesson in all this was that I should have saved and gotten the TRG to start with. I did not save a dime getting the all of the other rifles; I would have saved money just getting the TRG to begin with. My lesson learned.

alexander66 </div></div>

i agree with alexander completely - my very first firearm was a AI AW 338 .... lol i know how i am and would have just ended up there anyway so figured id save money and just get it over with :p

I'm one of those that believes "it's not the destination but the journey" types. Get what you can and shoot the snot out of it while you save up or upgrade as you go. You might learn something along the way and know for sure where you want to be when you're done.

Yes, after some reading and re-considering things , I realize that the Sako is premature at this moment , since I am kind of new at precision shooting .
Now, having decided that the way to go is with a Savage , I have to choose which one ... I am lefty and the obvious choice will be the FLCP-K Accustock . I cut very well later on order a McMillan A5 stock but it will be expensive . Or I can get the 10FCP MCMillan A5 already from factory on right hand version ... So it has come down now to the Accustock 10FLCP-K or the 10FCP McMillan right handed ... I can use some wise advice ... Thanks

if your a lefty buy a lefty rifle. look in the left handed section on this site. ill tell you this. McMillan has a few lefty stocks already inlet for a savage. if you really want to learn something here is a suggestion.

buy a good prefit barrel and a wrench and look at my posts on how to make a vise or get blocks and buy a vise and buy a $200 stevens and build you a rifle. get a savage and do it, but the stevens is cheaper. thats how to really save some cash and get to know your rifle. and read all the stuff you can and shoot. spend alot on a good scope like a 1500-1700 NF or vortex razor HD and that will be the last glass you buy. but there two decent savages for sale and lefty stuff is available

I advise against buying a cheap-stocked Savage if you're EVER gonna want to upgrade...to anything higher end than a Bell/Carlson. Just buy one with a good stock already, or build one as the previous poster mentioned.

If I were you, I'd wait for a deal in the used section and pounce on the first deal that strikes your fancy.

If you are a "lefty" (and lets hope you mean left handed, and not left-ideology), you should certainly buy a left handed rifle.

buy the sako and a bushnell 3200 10 x,and buy a better scope later .
the bushnell is good enough to start and always usefull in the safe or on a rimfire when you will have an US optic!

<<<If you are a "lefty" (and lets hope you mean left handed, and not left-ideology), you should certainly buy a left handed rifle.>>>
I am left handed and of absolutely right ideology ... 100% republican all the way !!
Having cleared that point , I want the fluted barrel and the muzzle brake on a left handed rifle , so that is why I am with no other choice that the Accustock FLCP-K . The Savage`s McMillan is only RH with no fluted barrel and no brake either . I will replace the Accustock with the McMillan A5 stock later on and also the DMB from CDI (most likely I will have it sent directly to McMillan to be installed by them when I order the stock ) which will be easier . I will then , have the stock and barrel/brake I want . Bolt handle will also come along . If , in the mean time I can find a nice used deal I will jump on it right away . I am starting to look for price on the rifle , so perhaps I`ll get lucky and a used deal will come along this week or the next ... I will give it until then . If not , I will get me a new Savage . Scope ... don`t know yet . The rifle will be used for range shooting only ; no hunting at all , so I won`t care if the rifle is heavier or not . I don`t mind big , long scopes with lots of power (weird, I guess) so I will be looking at some heavier scopes .
Well, so far , I have made a few important choices ... I hope I am making the right ones ________________________

I'm just wondering why you need a Fluted barrel and Brake on a .308, which isn't very high on the recoil scale (though i may be biased, having shot only .30-06's until recently :p )

Fluted Barrels don't do anything for barrel rigidity and only a small amount for cooling, they're mainly aesthetic. And brakes on a .308 aren't really necessary unless you are the size of a jockey or have an injury of some form. If you do, then definitely go the brake. But otherwise, learn to shoot with recoil because you'll get a rude shock if you want to go bigger.

Unfortunately the TRG doesn't come in lefty. AI has just released a Lefty, so hopefully Sako will follow suit with a lefty TRG. But until then, don't compromise yourself and get a right-hand rifle when you're a lefty. Coming from a lefty myself who shot right-hand rifles for years, it's just so much better having the bolt on the proper side :p

Also, just to pose the question.
Do you own a .22?

Ja, ja... I am 5`9" with 170 lbs . I agree on the fluted barrels that it is mainly for aesthetics and perhaps a little for weight , but I like it and I think is cool .
I don`t own a .22 , but I do own an AR-15 and a Saiga AK , both on .223 cal . I also shoot very often my 7.62X54 PSL so I am familiar with the .308 recoil which is mild , but Hey , if I can diminish the recoil I will , so the brake is important to me . I also think that , like you , I have come to realize that it is time to stop getting into right handed rifles when I can have my own lefty action with the bolt correctly placed .

there are A4s in lefty and longy on McMsite ready to go in the specials section but only short righty in A5. these are the specials, stuff ready to sell that someone ordered and didnt take i guess. you could always get a barrel fluted and buy a better brake in a DIY but you are on your own path. do it how you want that way you dont have doubts or regrets. mine is just how i want it except better glass. did most myself and could have saved by bulding but i didnt learn til after. im good with what it cost and what i paid and how i got it to where its at. there are a few things you can do once you get it to slick it up for free, just look at the savage posts or ask.

It must be an American thing. I've never heard of an Aussie shooter NOT owning a .22LR, even trap/duck shooters who never seem to use them still HAVE them.

Good to hear you know what you're in for. Personally, due to an extreme shortage of range space and the fact they're so scarce that whenever you go there, the place is full, a brake on anything is considered obscene and they're banned at most ranges, if not heavily frowned upon at the least. So maybe i'm biased in my selection of them (in fact, its probably the only reason i dont own an FLCP-K.

If you like the TRG but not the pricetag, then a Tikka T3 in a Whiskey-3 Chassis will come damn close, and probably cheaper too. Plus you'll have alot of room to upgrade.

Yes , I hope I can do it the way I want . I was looking at the specials on the McMillan`s site and the savings are , frankly, not too big . I would potencially save sustancially on an used rifle deal , but that is highly improbable .
I was eyeing the Choate LH stocks but I cannot find any that will fit the Savage with the bolt release on the trigger guard . Of course, it is not up to the McMillan standards of quality , but it is one third of the price . I do like things of quality if I can help it , so most likely I will end up paying the price on a McMilllan A5 ... Will be checking up the Tikkas , to get a ball point on prices and features

I will tell you this.
I have played with a couple of rifles and remain unsatisfied.

I have had a remington 700 for years, one of the very fist of the 7mm RM sendero's. It is a fine shooter though a bit punishing from the bench.

Then I got a Savage model 12 in .243 and put it in a choate varmint stock because I wanted to try F class ahooting.

Then I got a 700 SPS tact in .223, it shoots pretty well and I fairly pleased with it.

I then attended a basic sniper course and used a savage 10PC that my Dad had purchased. It worked VERY well and I was pleased.

I decided I wanted my own .308 so I bought a LW match .308 barrel, installed it on my model 12 and put it in a B&C A2 stock.

Wasn't happy. Bought a 5R, had an old remington style trigger installed and a side bolt release. Now I have ordered an XLR industries stock for it and am seriously considering having the barrel set back and the action trued.

I STILL wish I would have just bought the TRG, by the time I am done with the 5R (which is a very fine shooting rifle as is), i will have just as much tied up in it and it is still just a remington.

You will eventually spend the money amyway, why not get what you want?

You COULD buy a Tikka sporter in 6.5x55, the poor mans TRG and in a far superior chambering (they also have a .308).

If you're looking at a McMillan with a dbm, you might as well check out XLR's chassis system, especially if you're looking for a strictly range/target rig.

Just another option
I have a model 10fcp in a choate tactical stock, it's heavy, I like the feel though.

find a 10fp or 10fcp in lefty with the old bolt release. done. plus why buy new if your going to modify. build it the way you want

Tikka is a goog compromise since you get much of the sako in a less $$$ package, but I like the old saying buy once cry once. The sako will retain the majority of its value, but then again you will need a scope, rings, base, bipod, bullets, etc. So dont end up in the poor house ( or dog house if you are married)