• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am doing damage control work, if you complain...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    We are trying to figure out why the site is crashing,

There is clearly an issue, we understand this, so now we are in damage control mode to fix this.

That said, we have to make some bold changes to test the site in order to diagnose the problem

If you jump on and start threads over it, I am just deleting your account.

I have ZERO Patience for bullshit at this point because I have invested $1000s in this change and nothing is working correctly.

We are close to a month behind in these changes and I want this off my plate,

So bare with, keep your wise ass comments to yourself and let us work

Seriously what is happening behind the scenes is annoying to say the least, if you add to, done

keep your wise ass comments to yourself and let us work

translation:

E8ED5D21-F318-4783-ADB4-5A86BB92BFB6.gif

We are trying to figure out why the site is crashing,

There is clearly an issue, we understand this, so now we are in damage control mode to fix this.

That said, we have to make some bold changes to test the site in order to diagnose the problem

If you jump on and start threads over it, I am just deleting your account.

I have ZERO Patience for bullshit at this point because I have invested $1000s in this change and nothing is working correctly.

We are close to a month behind in these changes and I want this off my plate,

So bare with, keep your wise ass comments to yourself and let us work

Seriously what is happening behind the scenes is annoying to say the least, if you add to, done
    I, for one, am extremely appreciative for all your efforts. I can't imagine anywhere else online where I can get educated and entertained like I can on here.

We had 3 yesterday afternoon,

about these times 5:55, 6:35 and 7:45, no cpu stress and not real root cause at this point, the site just got stuck.

This is why are turning things on and off so we can see if it makes a difference

This is why the themes are changing so we can see if it makes a difference in order to hunt the cause of the stalls.

Appreciate the patience and understanding during this time

We have it narrowed down to the PHP side of things,

The minimum requirement is 7.2 and we upgrade to that not too long ago. From there we started to see intermittent crashes.

The issue with PHP is, we are currently at 7.2.21 the latest stable version is 7.2.29, however, PHP has 7.3 as a stable build and 7.4 has a stable build. The forum people say to go 7.4 but that requires a significant change and the server people are hesitant to do it, but we feel this is a PHP problem. Just updating to 7.2.29 is probably not gonna fix it as 7.2 has been an issue period.

It's hard to say, the more plug ins you add, like improved search which is working again, the feedback system, the minor changes that I have been adding to address request. Each time you start stacking on upgrades and plugins you open the door for conflict. The problem is finding out which things are conflicting.

In the last year I have added more features, those have point of diminishing returns. You all think its easy, just ADD This, but adding sometimes subtracts from the performance.

This is why the themes are changing so we can see if it makes a difference in order to hunt the cause of the stalls.

Hahaha, when the forum auto changes to the light theme, I keep changing it back to dark. :ROFLMAO: Would it be better to leave it on light for now for some reason? I don’t want to keep changing it if having it on the light theme is somehow helping to solve the problem. I’m happy to do so if leaving the theme alone for a bit helps!

Reactions: DIBBS
    It's not on your end, it's ours,

Doesn't matter which individual theme, the styles are either old Tactical or new UI.X, the color doesn't matter, the underlying style is what we are looking at.

Each style has 4 colors, you are seeing the styles change, the colors can be picked by the individual.

Reactions: Basher
    Hang in there Frank, just making adjustments as to wind and elevation.

At this point where many many people are working from home and doing all sorts of shit on their computers everyday, I am amazed at how well you handle all of this computer shit and not just say, Fuck it, I'm going shooting and let this shit sort out.

My E-mail hasn't worked for weeks and I really don't care. Things are fucked up and overloaded. Don't let it get you down.

Go put some bullets thru the air and let some of this shit sort it's self out. Lead in the air is very therapeutic for me. FM

I'm happy to take a look at some of the PHP and SCSS coding if you want - many hands make light work kinda thing. I noticed some of the SCSS didn't want to load yesterday, but without error logs I'm just guessing. I've spent WAAAAAY too many hours QA/QC'ing my own rollouts, and completely understand how frustrating it can be. Never had my own servers, so, experience is non-existent there.

Thanks for all you do to keep this place running Frank, very much appreciated.

Thank you for giving us our place to hang out. Hopefully the headaches will wrap up soon so you can go back to only worrying about dumbassed hitting the report button again.

Reactions: Maggot
    I'll just say this.

When I was one of about eight folks doing remote site support for 16 regional operating centers nationwide, the thing that 'fixed it' could not be allowed to be the last thing we checked.

We checked everything, even after part of the punch list found the problem and resolved it.

Not following through simply left time bombs ticking until there was a web of unrelated, unresolved failure points just waiting to fail later.

I agree, site support can be a beyotch.

Greg

Reactions: HiDesertELR
    It's not on your end, it's ours,

Wow , Our IT guy always says it's my problem, not his end.

Appreciate the site, i've learned a lot and thoroughly enjoy the hell out of it.
    Especially since we're stuck at home.
    Can only take so much of the news on TV.

I was in the middle of doing a podcast interview and I had to flip over to a web page to reference a book, flicking past my analytic tab I see the counter scrolling up like a slot machine, and was like WTF?

So here I am recording an interview and trying to get the server guys to watch it at the same time.

This was like a 1/2 hour up and then it just dropped down to normal as fast as it appeared.

• Haha
    Reactions: seansmd
    I think Snipers Hide and AR15.com are two of the main boards out here where many people are not just looking for gun related information, but are also relying on them for their daily news, breaking updates, hometown events, local weather and traffic, and emergency notifications. There are no other sport specific sites out there that are as massive and extensive as ours. It is truly incredible just looking at how fast information is posted in these two boards, sometimes even before mainstream news channels begin to run coverage. There are members located in every state of the US, and nearly every country in the world and breaking news from anywhere can be viewed the second they happen. Especially with the events going on in the world right now, I think there are plenty of non-shooters who are also here simply to obtain latest developments about the pandemic or events in their areas. TFL and THR as well as THR's equivalent of the Bear Pit/GD called 'Armed Polite Society' does not even approach the Hide or Arfcom in terms of active members and only Glock Talk and Northeast Shooters may be close to anywhere our traffic... Anything else out there that can match us in terms of the sheer amount of information being posted will have to be the Chans or a similar video gaming network...

This was an issue, not a normal occurrence.

This may be why we are seeing the intermittent issues and why we can't put a finger on it.

Because I watched it in real-time, they should be able to check the logs and see

Reactions: mercracing
    Same thing is probably occurring on Arfcom too. Too much facts and latest news is being posted here and the globalists are running scared.

By the way, all my sources from the ground over there are saying that a second wave of the epidemic is blowing up, FAST... And desperate containment measures may be implemented again. That is going to keep them really busy...

Reactions: Bender
    Amazing amount of knowledge accumulated here.
    Impressive
    Always looks easier if one is on the outside looking in
    Thank you for your hard work and this better make you wealthy
    Pulling for you, we are all in this together-Red Green

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Are they all logged in members or all readers included? I can guess that 500-700 are the usual number of registered members here, and rest being everybody else coming to verify if the reports of WHO jackboots dragging people out of their homes into Chicom style quarantine camps are true or not...

I am assuming it is counting guests as well. Logged in users would be easier to identify.
    Simply accessing the site pages as a guest consumes the system resources. And several thousand accounts quickly accessing multiple pages or searching the site could be problematic.

Think 10000 guests with 100s of tabs open all hitting refresh...

OFC, it wouldnt be individual people doing this. Would be simple to script and distribute behind many source networks.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country