• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am thinking of a new single stage press

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I was looking at Redding for a new single stage press for when I get me a new bolt gun. I was looking at the boss but they also have the Big Boss which is beefier and seems to offer more bells and whistles. Anyone have these and how do you feel about it?

There another single stage that just stands out over the others?
I load my pistol rounds with the Dillon 550B and still very new to loading.

Thanks

Re: I am thinking of a new single stage press

Co-Ax or the T7 are going to be the 2 popular presses on the Hide. Can't blame them, I love my Co-Ax.

I have a Gen 1 Co-7

I guess I need to try out some different presses, I have never loaded a single round with anything but a RCBS Rockchucker II, but in all fairness it always does exactly what it supposed to.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at Redding for a new single stage press for when I get me a new bolt gun. I was looking at the Boss but they also have the Big Boss which is beefier and seems to offer more bells and whistles. Anyone have these, and how do you feel about it?</div></div>
I have a Boss and think it's the best going. I prefer it to the Big Boss because its smaller size is better ergonomically (shorter handle travel) for pistol and standard rifle. The Big Boss II has the nice spent primer disposal feature, but I don't de-cap on my press, just to keep it sanitary. The carbon and lube constitute a grinding compound. My preference would be for an original Big Boss with a replacement ram that has none of the cuts in it (available directly from Redding). It limits the amount of crud that is fed into the bore. My preference.

If you're loading longer (long magnum, etc.) cartridges or forming cases, the bigger press would be preferred. Many like the LnL conversion, and this press is a candidate for that. Go with the bigger press unless you know the smaller will be advantageous to your particular loading process.

I have a Redding Big Boss ready to mount and start using when my 338 LM Improved gets up and running until then my Rockchucker II is working just fine and my run out is very low.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowtie4x4295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I need to try out some different presses, I have never loaded a single round with anything but a RCBS Rockchucker II, but in all fairness it always does exactly what it supposed to.</div></div>

+1 for RCBS - it's not much but it always works for me too.

People who have never used a Co-Ax always recommend a Rockchucker or simular press.

People who use a Co-Ax will never use or recommend anything else.

I fall into the later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a thread on the same topic. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1072040#Post1072040 </div></div>

Yea I saw this after I made my thread.

I am sure I will get the Co Ax though. Alot of good things said, price isn't bad, and it has more + votes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure I will get the Co Ax though. Alot of good things said, price isn't bad, and it has more + votes. </div></div>
Complexity.

Actually, someone somewhere has suggested using a Co-Ax before buying one so you'll know it's ergonomically a good fit for you. Probably good advice universally. By all means, get the press that YOU like. In the end, it's not a democratic process.

Win69 is right, the ergonomics of the co-ax are considerably different than those of conventional presses. The over-the-top, down-the-center handle motion, particularly with the longer stock handle, can make it difficult if you prefer to sit right in front of it. I use mine standing up, and I shuffle side-side a bit as I use it. I tried the shorter ball handle, and it would not interfere with loading while seated as much, but I really like the multiple grip positions of the stock tubular gripped handle better. The ball handle tends to encourage a single hand position, which is more tiring to me after awhile. Maybe if I cut some length off of the stock handle, it would be the best of both worlds, but like I said, I load standing up anyway.

The rest of the features of the press are a pure pleasure to use, like the automatic shell holding jaws, the snap-in/out die system (uses standard dies, but you need Forster or Hornady lock rings), and the 100% effective spent primer handling system.

If the ergonomics of the co-ax just don't suit you, another press to look at is the Lee Classic Cast. It has an adjustable handle to work efficiently with any length cartridge, except if you want to prime on the press (I don't), then you need to keep it set for a full stroke.

Andy

I have both the Lee Classic Cast and the Co-Ax. Co-Ax is very svelte and smooth compared to the Lee which is robust and a great deal considering it's $70 price. I bought the Lee as I didn't want to switch jaws every time to go b/t loading .308 and .223.

If not loading long magnums or lots of .223, I highly recommend the Co-Ax. Nothing can touch it in terms of feel and tolerances short of an arbor press.

If I get one it will be for loading 7mm WSM and 300 weatherby mag. I will get into loading .223 but I will likely use the RL550B Dillon because I will want quantity with that caliber. Not sure right now what other rifle rounds I will be loading with it but I know those two will be for sure.

The 300 Weatherby will be used for a hunting bullet (for brother) and the 7mm will be to kill paper. I may take interest in the 6.5s at some point, who knows.

I'm not ham-handed but I don't have small hands either. I owned a Co-Ax at one time. It's a nice press but I got tired of pinching my fingers when seating bullets for my 300 win mag, 7mm REm Mag, and 45-70. You have to stick the bullet up into the body of the seat die and drop it back down onto the case neck to get it in position/alignment to seat it. Lots of dropped bullets and swearing. That routine got old real fast. Another drawback for the Co-Ax is the handle may not have adequate clearance for a micrometer seat die. I ran into that problem too.

The Co-Ax press works great for shorter cartridges but there are much better choices for the longer cartridges. I currently have two Redding Ultramags and a Lee Classic Cast Turret on my bench. The turret is for pistol and 223 although I process a lot of 223 brass on the Ultramag. I also do a lot of re-forming, mostly 30-06 to 25-06 and 223 to 221 Fireball. The Ultramag really simplifies re-forming brass. I can't say enough good things about the Ultramag. Tolerances are very tight, it's strong enough to do anything, including swageing bullets. In my opinion runout is not so much a function of the press as it is the dies but tolerance stack up comes from every tool in the process. The Ultramag is worth every penny they ask for it.

I like the Big Boss press too just for the convienience of loading larger cases. My vote goes to Redding.

all those issues have been corrected on the new ones

The new B3 model co-ax does improve the handle yoke clearance for tall, micrometer-head dies, but does not increase the length of the "ram" stroke, or capacity for the cartridge. It is ample for 30-06 or "standard" magnum cartridges, but longer cartridges require a bit of fiddling to seat the bullet, or a windowed seating die (now that they all fit under the handle yoke). In addition, the co-ax does not work with dies larger than the standard 7/8-14 thread size.

The co-ax is not the best press for every single cartridge out there, but for those that fit, it is among the best.

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not ham-handed but I don't have small hands either. I owned a Co-Ax at one time. It's a nice press but I got tired of pinching my fingers when seating bullets for my 300 win mag, 7mm REm Mag, and 45-70. </div></div>

Im glad I saw this post. I have huge hands and the smallest thing Im loading for is a 7mm-08. Everything else is 300 WM or larger. I was planning on ordering one tomorrow but seems to me like I will be better off with my Rock Chucker Supreme. Thanks for the info!

I've got both a Co-Ax and T7 and like both equally as well.

The Co-Ax is a bit of a pain loading 375 H&H but not too bad

One thing I don't like about the co-ax when loading .308 is that nothing holds the case until you start bringing the arm down. So, if you aren't careful... you will knock the case full of powder over.

I've got no serious complaints with my T-7. I have noticed a little flexing in the turret though. .357 sig rounds didn't feed all that well, but it was a new gun so I don't know what the factor was there. 5.56 feed through my AR with no problem though, so I think it was the gun not being broken in. Lee presses are not that nice looking, but they do function very well. My Lee Pro 1000 has turned out thousands of .45 ACP and is still running. For sturdiness and simplicity though, I might have to say the Rock Chucker would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I don't like about the co-ax when loading .308 is that nothing holds the case until you start bringing the arm down. So, if you aren't careful... you will knock the case full of powder over. </div></div>

I just knocked out 200 rounds for the Cup, not a single kernal went wasted, Russ1911 suggest to me to use the small opening for 308, I thought he was crazy, but it works perfectly, I load 9mm, 45acp, .223, .308, and 30-06 using the small jaws, try it orkan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will also say that for a bare-bones single stage, the rock chucker gets my vote, hands down. </div></div>
Which RockChucker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got back from my friend's place and we made a trip to Cabela's. He showed me the issue he had with his RC Supreme (before he returned it) on the floor model there. When you raise the ram to the top, as the press over-cams (you can feel it do it too), the ram deflects. This is VERY visible when looking from the side, but even more so when looking down through the top. You can see the ram tilt forward and come back.

Doesn't happen on his Big Boss or Co-Ax, but it unfortunately does on the Hornady LnL AP I picked up while we were there. Its going back...

Let me clarify this: the ram is not bending, its tilting within the slop of the hole it passes through.</div></div>

This is borrowed from another thread. I find this information important and am repeating it here for that purpose. I'm not surprised to hear about the RockChucker, but this is the first I've heard of the Hornady AP having a loose ram.

Cant find that in my RockChucker.

Might not be on all of them. But, we've seen it on two of the new RC Supreme presses. He's going to take a video of the display model at Cabela's some time this week.

My LNL AP appears to be defective... others with this press aren't seeing what I'm seeing. I've contacted Hornady. Hopefully, they can remedy this.

Here are some vids I took of this (watch them in full size):

Hornady LNL AP:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040796.flv
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040797.flv

Dillon RL-550:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040798.flv
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040799.flv

The 550 is rock solid, I was shaking the heck out of the press, and the ram wasn't moving. The ram on the LNL AP was jiggling all over and I wasn't shaking it as hard. My 30 year old RC has play, but not as bad as the LNL AP. The new RC Supreme was even worse...

The one complaint I do have about the Big Boss is that its only a steel pin that stops you at the bottom of the stoke. That pin deflects a bit and while it won't over-cam, you will get variations in seating depth (0.001-0.002") if you aren't consistent in the pressure you apply against that stop.

How much force is required to seat a bullet? I'm of the mind that if this were a real problem, Redding would have made a correction long before now. Didn't the situation arise from someone <span style="text-decoration: underline">trying</span> to deflect the pins?

I haven't experienced a problem, but I wonder what others are experiencing? Anyone?

Thanks for the update on the AP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Idaho_Elk_Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant find that in my RockChucker. </div></div>

Well today I checked again and there is slop in it. I called RCBS and they gave me the option of picking it up and sending me a new one or send me a ram to try. He said there should be ZERO slop. I took the ram option and will try that and if it doesnt help he said he would pick upm then send another.

Funny how people fuck up shit for others. I remember when they would ship it out and send a call tag for the other. Due to dishonesty now (People not sending the broken shit back)they dont do it any longer

I don't think 0.001" variation in an inline dimension makes that big of a difference. Most probably don't measure half the case/cartridge parameter that we do. Most probably wouldn't notice stuff like that slop unless its pointed out to them. And, it isn't enough to just tell them, they have to see it visually before they believe it.

The idea behind intentionally trying to deflect the stop was to see how robust the press was. My buddy got burned by the RC Supreme. The runout caused by the ram deflection on his press was costing him accuracy. He could measure the difference in runout and he could see the difference in group size (loading on site at the range). So, he purchased the two most recommended presses and benchmarked them against each other with the idea to keep the better one. If you want to benchmark two things, you don't just look at how they function under normal operation, you look at how they stand up to abuse and sloppy handling. Something that is "idiot proof" will deliver better consistency than something you need to finesse, regardless of how focused you are when you use it.

Did he go to an extreme with this? Sure. But bad experiences tend to make people paranoid (he spotted the slop in my AP real quick because he's now on the lookout for it). Both the Co-Ax and the Big Boss are excellent and precise presses, but the question was which one is more so. He found it to be the Co-Ax.

The <span style="font-style: italic">Champion</span> press is one that I looked at carefully before I purchased my first one. It's very impressive. In the end, I bought something quite a bit lighter. What is it that makes it attractive to you, and what would you intend to use it for? OK. Reloading. But, what will you be loading? This is a very strong press.

I is "just a monkey with a pair of Rock-chuckers"...

I've used single-stages for the past 28-years, so I am probably too stupid to use the new-shit.

If my ammo didn't work good - then I wouldn't still be do'in it this way...

YMMV

I use a hornady single stage lnl now and load enough 308 and 30-06 that I frequently bruise the ball of my hand. Getting older and it's starting to bother me
now, where as before I just ignored it. Also with money invested in forester seater
dies I have thought about upgrading to reduce run out a little more.

My co-ax is a hand me down and the guy I got it from shot perry for more years than ive been alive(and thats saying something)and he swore buy it.(no I dont know how old it is)but ive reloaded for15yrs with it and its as smooth as the day I got it.Besides die changing,quality, and small run out, resizing 260s from 243s or 7-08s is a piece af cake and wildcats are no effort.Its got the nuts for just about any case you may want,to make into something else.

Videos of the new RC Supreme, as promised:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040808.flv
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040807.flv
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1040805.flv
There is an option to watch them in full size.

As I mentioned earlier, my old RC doesn't do that and neither does my friend's Big Boss, but his new RC Supreme did. The other presses have some minor movement only. That kick-out at the top of the stroke happens when the press over-cams. Its different than the movement in the LNL AP video above in that it kicks out with a good amount of force. It isn't just slop like on the AP, its applying a sideways force to the base of the cartridge. I don't think it would have a huge effect when FL sizing since the web of the case would resist it. But with neck-only sizing, it was causing some good sized run-outs. And this was with a Redding Competition Neck Sizing Die (the fancy one with the mic).

This Made in China crap is not the same animal as the RC of yesteryear... but people are buying it because of the old press' reputation.

Oh, and that stop pin on the Big Boss: I took a closer look at it today, its just a frikken' roll pin, that's why it deflects. You should be able to replace with a solid steel pin to get rid of the variation. I sure would...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This Made in China crap is not the same animal as the RC of yesteryear... but people are buying it because of the old press' reputation.

Oh, and that stop pin on the Big Boss: I took a closer look at it today, its just a frikken' roll pin, that's why it deflects. You should be able to replace with a solid steel pin to get rid of the variation. I sure would... </div></div>

fwiw,
Concur...

Regards, Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and that stop pin on the Big Boss: I took a closer look at it today, its just a frikken' roll pin, that's why it deflects. You should be able to replace with a solid steel pin to get rid of the variation. I sure would... </div></div>
That was my first reaction until I thought about it a little. That springiness is beneficial in protecting the cast base from being distorted. It acts as a shock absorber. If a steel pin is banged on over a period of time, the hole it is pressed into, being cast iron, will distort and the pin will loosen. A threaded hole will also loosen and could be a source of fracture. First, I would determine that it is really a problem. My solution would be a heavier gauge roll pin. A larger diameter pin will only be springier.

However, I still wonder about using the press in such a manner that seating causes deflection. If someone is that rough, they probably would be as well off with an RCBS or Lyman press that cams over.

Another consideration is that bullet ogives vary quite a bit, affecting seating depth. Consider that bullets are seated <span style="font-weight: bold">into</span> the lands rather than touching to compensate for variation: touching means that bullets are both into and out of the lands, a condition that is better avoided. Another is that a couple of thousandths jump variance isn't going to affect accuracy.

I'm not trying be to be overly defensive in favor of the Redding product (I'm vocally critical of their lock-ring design). I've given the situation a lot of consideration since its introduction, and I can't find a problem. Certainly not to the extent to consider it a design defect and in need of remedying. I'm really interested in discovering others' experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I use a Hornady single stage lnl now and load enough 308 and 30-06 that I frequently bruise the ball of my hand. Getting older, and it's starting to bother me now, whereas before I just ignored it. Also, with money invested in Forster seater dies I have thought about upgrading to reduce run out a little more. </div></div>
I'd suggest the Redding <span style="font-style: italic">UltraMag</span> to reduce the effort needed for resizing brass, etc. Makes the job just about effortless. The press may be less ergonomic if you're loading a large number of cases, in which case the <span style="font-style: italic">Big Boss</span> or a <span style="font-style: italic">T-7 Turret</span> may be a better choice. I believe that the CH4D stuff is made on older equipment w/o CNC, but that's just my guess. If you're really interested in the <span style="font-style: italic">Champion</span>, call and discuss the manufacturing methods.

Depending on the lube you're using, there may be the opportunity to reduce sizing effort with a change. Imperial, Unique and RCBS II are all good.

The Redding presses (except the turret) can be adapted to LnL, and I believe the <span style="font-style: italic">Champion</span> can too, but you need to ask if it'll accept a 1 1/4" x 12 bushing.

[Edit] There may be another option available to you. Glen Zediker has an arthritic condition in his hands. He modified a press by slipping a golf club grip over its handle. That press's handle has a 5/8" diameter. By lengthening the handle, effort expended will be reduced. Also, the handle's different shape may help, too. Something like this may be possible with your press. I don't know how hard it will be to remove the existing ball to do this.

I was set on the Forster co-ax but I am now looking at the redding ultramag. Really the only thing that I am curious about is ergonomics on the ultra. I see they have those arms that connect the ram arm to the top of the press and wonder if they get in the way.

Go with the Co-Ax, no shell holders, everything floats, man you can't beat it for a single stage.