• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing i assembled my first ar lower, ???'s

offroadr1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2007
alabama, birmingham
ok i got my lower assembled this weekend using some video guide i found a link to somewhere else. no big deal, went smooothly and took about 12 minutes. i was using a stag lower with a dpms lpk. my question and doubts are with the 2 trigger pins. in the video the fellow had to tap his into place with a brass hammer. mine just went right in with very little resistance. didnt seem right to me, but with pressure that is on them i cant shake them out. do i need to worry about them accisently falling out, or will the spring pressure hold them in? is this normal?

Re: i assembled my first ar lower, ???'s

I have the same setup (Stag lower/DPMS lower parts kit). If the pids slid right in, that just means you had the trigger and hammer perfectly aligned with the holes in the receiver. No big deal. The hammer spring will hold them firmly in place. (Assuming the hammer spring was installed properly - legs over the pins, not riding on the bottom of the inside of the receiver.)

To clarify what neutronics said, make sure that one leg of the hammer spring is riding in the groove on the trigger pin. If you remember, those pins have 2 grooves cut around them for this purpose. There is a spring in the inside of the hammer that holds tension on the hammer pin in the central groove. If you get lucky you can just about use your fingers to push the pins in place....the hammer pin being stiffer to go in because of the internal spring.

ok that is how it wnet together. i thought that may be what the grooves are for, but the video did not go in depth about why anyhting was assembled the way it was. just showed were to put everything.