• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I bet this has never happened to you

Ghosting

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2021
    MO
    I was out firing my 22 creedmore today getting some practice in and after I fired a round the following round only feed half way into the chamber and caused a jam.
    I thought for a second that I had a case head rip off and the top of the case was in my chamber. Turns out the primer got popped out of the case and then managed to go into the chamber and wedge itself there all before the following round was able to chamber.
    The primer did not get punched by the firing pin like you normally see from pressure issues but the interior core of the primer was blown out.

This is new perterson brass with federal LRP and 85.5 Bergers.
    I'm using a JP high pressure BCG

For reference these rounds are not loaded real hot. At least compared to how hot I can load them. Only signs of high pressure I get is the ejector marks but I cant stop that no matter how low I charge them.

Just crazy the thing managed to go down the barrel and get stuck. Luckily it was to big to go down any farther so it just caused a jam.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
      IMG_1061.jpg
      250.6 KB · Views: 192
    • IMG_1060.jpg
      IMG_1060.jpg
      892.4 KB · Views: 194
    • IMG_1063.jpg
      IMG_1063.jpg
      326.1 KB · Views: 190
    • IMG_1064.jpg
      IMG_1064.jpg
      340.2 KB · Views: 190
    What’s with all the one time in band camp posts?

One time I went out drinking with Bill Cosby and next day when I woke up my ass was killing me.

That is a smoking hot round look at that primer flow is your ejector still there?
    Nothing was damaged. Prior to switching to the JP high pressure bolt I would get primer punctures from the firing pin about 1/10 shots while not running a car. Since then I put a few hundred though it while also adding a TBAC 9 on it I have not had 1 puncture or any other issue other then this single primer popping out.
    Round also still came out like normal and hit the 550 yard prairie dog steel silhouette. So for what it was the velocity was at least enough close enough to what its dialed for that it hit a 4" wide x 12" Prairie dog at decent range.

Nothing was damaged. Prior to switching to the JP high pressure bolt I would get primer punctures from the firing pin about 1/10 shots while not running a car. Since then I put a few hundred though it while also adding a TBAC 9 on it I have not had 1 puncture or any other issue other then this single primer popping out.
    Round also still came out like normal and hit the 550 yard prairie dog steel silhouette. So for what it was the velocity was at least enough close enough to what its dialed for that it hit a 4" wide x 12" Prairie dog at decent range.
    That primer is heavily cratered. Are all your others like this? Your loads are far too hot, your bolt is unlocking far too early, or both. What is your barrel length, gas port location, buffer weight, and do you have an adjustable gas block.

that primer is heavily cratered. Are all your others like this? Your loade are far too hot, your bolt is unlocking far too early, or both. What is your barrel length, gas port location, buffer weight, and do you have an adjustable gas block.
    This one is a +3 gas block 26" barrel by Craddrock.
    Its a 85.5 Berger loaded with 40.5gr of H4350. A hot load would be something in the 42-43gr range.
    None of the other primers other then this one are cratered.
    Yes, adjustable gas block, I called JP and discussed parts with them and they recommend their HP BCG and an adjustable weighted silent capture spring to use with it. The bolt does not hit the back of the receiver while cycling if thats what you were wondering.

I also took it to a qualified gun smith to have them function test it all afterwords.

I did my due diligence on this one because I already knew it could be a problem if not done right.

I suppose I should also add that Unknown Munitions loaded the ammo and not me. Frankly I was not in the mood to load 600 rounds of 22 creed at the time. I'll do it the second time once I have all the fireformed brass.

At least that one specific round was very hot. The primer doesn't look THAT bad, but the case rim shows severe signs.

Set that piece of brass with the rest and take a side view photo. Compare how dirty they are. That one case looked covered in carbon.

On second look, what's down the barrel is the brass "web" that holds the primer.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jnr2233
    Uhm, Peterson’s load data and pressure testing disagrees with your assertion that your load isn’t hot. This is comparing their load data with an 80.5 Berger…..

COAL: 2.560"
    Powder Type: H4350
    Powder Charge Weight: 36.3 Grains
    Velocity: 3,228 fps
    Pressure: 62,223 psi

Uhm, Peterson’s load data and pressure testing disagrees with your assertion that your load isn’t hot. This is comparing their load data with an 80.5 Berger…..

COAL: 2.560"
    Powder Type: H4350
    Powder Charge Weight: 36.3 Grains
    Velocity: 3,228 fps
    Pressure: 62,223 psi
    His 600 pieces of once fired brass will be shit. 😂. I can already see that he will have to file down the case head swipes to even fit the once fired but ran through brass in a shell holder only to find out the pockets won’t hold a primer. 😂

Reactions: mettee
    This one is a +3 gas block 26" barrel by Craddrock.
    Its a 85.5 Berger loaded with 40.5gr of H4350. A hot load would be something in the 42-43gr range.
    None of the other primers other then this one are cratered.
    Yes, adjustable gas block, I called JP and discussed parts with them and they recommend their HP BCG and an adjustable weighted silent capture spring to use with it. The bolt does not hit the back of the receiver while cycling if thats what you were wondering.

I also took it to a qualified gun smith to have them function test it all afterwords.

I did my due diligence on this one because I already knew it could be a problem if not done right.

I suppose I should also add that Unknown Munitions loaded the ammo and not me. Frankly I was not in the mood to load 600 rounds of 22 creed at the time. I'll do it the second time once I have all the fireformed brass.
    You sure about that? Id submit that H4350 is too fast for the cartridge, and way way too hot at 6.5 creed charge weights.

In my 22 creedmoor I’m using Peterson brass and only running 35.5 gr of 4350 it is a bolt gun though not semi and only an 18” barrel but anything over 37 was pretty rough on brass and heavy bolt lift. I’ll be trying alpha brass soon but will probably stay around the same charge, I did try some copper creek ammo for it and it was pretty hot for my rifle also.

His 600 pieces of once fired brass will be shit. 😂. I can already see that he will have to file down the case head swipes to even fit the once fired but ran through brass in a shell holder only to find out the pockets won’t hold a primer. 😂
    Luckily I won't have too. :ROFLMAO: I took a look at all of the brass and other then that one none have any ejector marks that could be felt when running your finger across the case head.
    I also just pulled a round to a round to see if it was at 40.5gr like they told me and compared it h4350 that I have and it definitely is h4350. Same grain size and tan color.

I'll ask them about it and see what Unknown Munitions says for power weights to confirm.

Reactions: mettee
    Luckily I won't have too. :ROFLMAO: I took a look at all of the brass and other then that one none have any ejector marks that could be felt when running your finger across the case head.
    I also just pulled a round to a round to see if it was at 40.5gr like they told me and compared it h4350 that I have and it definitely is h4350. Same grain size and tan color.

I'll ask them about it and see what Unknown Munitions says for power weights to confirm.
    Partner, it's your gun and your face, but if you're blowing primers, they're all probably over pressure, you're just not seeing it. I wouldn't care what Unknown Munitions had to say about it. Sounds like they loaded something very unsafe and I'd be demanding my money back. Pressure is pressure regardless of what they have to say about it. Did you read the Peterson load data I posted? You're 4 grains over their max for a lighter bullet. How many PSI you reckon you're running if they're at 62k?

Partner, it's your gun and your face, but if you're blowing primers, they're all probably over pressure, you're just not seeing it. I wouldn't care what Unknown Munitions had to say about it. Sounds like they loaded something very unsafe and I'd be demanding my money back. Pressure is pressure regardless of what they have to say about it. Did you read the Peterson load data I posted? You're 4 grains over their max for a lighter bullet. How many PSI you reckon you're running if they're at 62k?
    I'm aware. Thats why I sent them an email. Also for reference fps is 3315 so its nothing crazy with a 26" barrel.

When you have the following conditions, they are all screaming extreme excess chamber pressure well beyond the capacity of the cartridge to hold together safely:

Blown primer
    Extractor shelf flow
    Extreme Ejector extrusion

I’m running 88s out of a 26” bolt gun at 3150 with no pressure signs.

I would say your loads are most likely very hot for a bolt gun, definitely too hot for a semi-auto.

Does UM know the loads are for a semi-auto? It would be very surprising to see them hang their ass out that far…

Reactions: Yoteski
    40grs of 4350 for 88s or 85.5s was too hot for my 22cm gasser. H4350 i felt was not a good fit in general for heavy bullets. I moved h4831sc and got the best results. With my 24in +2 x-caliber barrel, anything above 3100fps seemed too hot, regardless of what powder i tried. I promise though, anything above 3k with 85.5s delivers excellent performance, so dont feel bad if you dont get all the speed you want.

Never seen that one... But I have seen one completely disintegrate in my custom bolt-action 700 in .25-06 AI when it was new. My Chargemaster 1500 went all wonky and overcharged 1 round (all the rest shot fine). Never found any pieces of the primer. Not even in the bolt body after pulling the firing pin. I guess the vacuum of it, sucked it all through the flash hole and out of the muzzle... Left a fully-readable brass imprint of the headstamp On the bolt.

IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg

I see a post in the future something .... Ar10 something in pieces...... trip to hospital.....

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ
    I’m running 88s out of a 26” bolt gun at 3150 with no pressure signs.

I would say your loads are most likely very hot for a bolt gun, definitely too hot for a semi-auto.

Does UM know the loads are for a semi-auto? It would be very surprising to see them hang their ass out that far…
    They did not ask and I did not think to mention it. They sent me a ladder test that started at 39 and went to 41gr of h4350
    I told them the h4350 shot the best. Which it made a 0.258" group and they loaded me up the rest after.
    None of the cases had pressure signs so I didn't think to mention anything of it as the reference I was going off of is what guys on LRH were saying they were also loading theirs with without also seeing any pressure signs. There was no actual real load data for this bullet and thats also why I had them load the first rounds to see what they come up with. Then I could just mimic it on the second loading

Since thats the first case that showed signs and also showed it in a severe way it makes me thing they put more then 40.5gr in there more then anything. Otherwise at least some of the previous 150ish rounds would have also showed something.

But regardless I wont know till I hear back from them after the email I sent.

Last edited:
    I’m certain if UM was aware you were using a semi-auto they would ask for all that ammo back. Regardless of who tells you anything it is your face on the gun…. I would proceed very cautiously

I have seen them blown out and jammed in the mouth of the gas key.
    That has happened to me twice. 1st time was a bitch cuz it never even crossed my mind that was a possibility.
    Also learned not to shoot ammo that had just sitting in the front seat of my truck on a 110 degree Arizona day. Duh.