• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I bore brushed my CZ .22 to death!

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
AND IT CAME ALIVE!

I bought the rifle used, So since I wasn't quite happy yet with it's consistency I thought the previous owner might have neglected the rifle.

I bore brushed the hound out of it for like 20 minutes with Kroil.
(I normally NEVER use a bore brush... Jus say'n)

Took it back to the range today and:
CZWolfMatchGroup3.jpg

CZWolfMatchgroup2.jpg

CZWolkMatchGroup4.jpg

CZgroupWolfMatch1.jpg

CZwolfmatchgroup5.jpg

These are pretty much in chronological order. It's was neat to see the group tighten as the bore seasoned.

It got windier and windier as I shot.

Re: I bore brushed my CZ .22 to death!

Have you ever combined kroil and shooters choice......I use to hear people rave about it?

If I may ask a question: When you brushed your barrel, what technique did you use. Speciffically did you push the brush all the way out of the barrel and then pull it back in, push to the crown and then pull it back out, or push it one way only?

I don't buy into the whole (Otis industries) !!CLEAN IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE BULLET TRAVELS ONLY!! Bologna.

But I never change directions with the brush WHILE its in the bore either.

I pushed the brush all the way down and out the bore at the crown, then pulled it back in the bore and out the chamber, then back again... for a really long time.

Thanks for the reply. I have a rifle that I may try this on, or possibly even some flitz on a mop, and am not really sure of the technique that I want to use.

I dont beleive I could change directions with the brush in the bore. But I may be wrong. never really tried it but I know it would be very hard to pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzy Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply. I have a rifle that I may try this on, or possibly even some flitz on a mop, and am not really sure of the technique that I want to use. </div></div>

flitz on a mop sounds like a very interesting technique to me, i've got a 80 year old mossberg .22 that may enjoy such treatment, let us know what you decide on

For you guys thinking Flitz:

Here's the professional way:
VFG Felt Pellets

The tough felt pellets fit the bore so nice that the barrel gets warm to the touch!

Put this on the felt:
JB Bore polish

Only reason for not going both directions, bore to crown then crown to bore is it bends the brush wires back and forth and breaks them off faster. If you don't care about your brush dieing quicker then go for it. As far as I know but there are smarter people out there than me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzy Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I may ask a question: When you brushed your barrel, what technique did you use. Speciffically did you push the brush all the way out of the barrel and then pull it back in, push to the crown and then pull it back out, or push it one way only?</div></div>

Personally I would never...EVER....pull anything backwards down the bore.

Apart from risking damage to the crown, you'll just be dragging all the crud back with it.

I was always told to view the bore as a one way street.......

I was taught by a smith that .22's pick up a lead ring in the very front portion of the chamber.

Basically, if you can remove that ring, the rest of the bore isn't a serious accuracy issue. The less you do to the bore, probably the better.

He said that this was why the accuracy of a pristine new barrel is often very hard to restore. Regular cleaning does little, if anything, to disturb that ring.

He removed it by chasing it gently wth a chamber reamer.

I didn't have a reamer, but found that a few soaks with Shooter's Choice Lead Remover solvent and a brush would do a serviceable job.

Monotonous brushing can be counterproductive if there's rod wear being added to the bore.

Greg

Greg,
I agree about the ring, but think it is composed of lead and carbon. Someone made a soft brass cleaner for that ring area. It is often refered to as a 'carbon ring" and I think that says something about the perceived content of it as well.
RTH

I use a tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod.

I too have read about the dreaded ring...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever combined kroil and shooters choice......I use to hear people rave about it? </div></div>

So what's with this Kroil/Shooters Choice combo? Got them both--would love to mix them up!

+1 for Kroil and JB Paste. After you are done shooting, while the barrel is still warm, punch the barrel with the Kroil and let it work its magic overnight. Then a couple of kroil swabs the next day followed by dry patches. It is amazing how well this alone removes powder and lead fouling. JB is useful on a very fouled barrel.

This combo also seems to require less time for the barrel to season after a cleaning vs more aggresive cleaners.

I've switched all my stuff over to the really stiff black nylon brushes. They are much stiffer than the bronze bristles and I find that they wear very well. They don't scratch, and the stiff bristles really rip crud out of the rifling.

Is there a good method for just cleaning the chamber of a 22? And doing it without cleaning the entire bore.

Thanks.