• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I bought this MKII TR today and have a question

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I bought a MKII TR at Cabela's today for $429 and $85 off because I opened a Club card so it was a decent price. I've been looking at them for quite a while but I've never seen it in this configuration with a one piece base and compensator. I have a .22lr can I'd like to use with it but I don't know if the compensator is threaded or not. I've tried getting it off by hand with no luck and I'm worried about taking a tool to it because if it won't come off, I don't want to damage it or mark it up. I'll just have it cut and threaded down the road. Has anyone seen this configuration before or know anything about the compensator? (pictures are from my phone, they're kinda crappy. Sorry )

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

After I sell my Leupy LR/T 8.5x25x50 I'd like to get a SS 16x42 for my 18" 10FP and something similar for the MKII.

Re: I bought this MKII TR today and have a question

I doubt that it is integral--threading is cheaper.

No clue on removal.

Call Savage, they will answer the compensator question easily.

BMT

did mm128 answer your question in another thread?

not sure

It's the Cabela's special version. The break is threaded I'm pretty sure of that. What's the worse that can happen??? You might end up with a spiral fluted and slightly less RH or maybe a LH rifling twist haha.

I do know that that is a Cabela's special, but I haven't had any experience with the compensator, but I highly doubt that it is part of the barrel. Most mass produced rifle companies will do everything in their power to use the same parts on different rifles, so that probably means that the barrel is the same barrel from the regular TR. Why make a special barrel with integral compensator if you can use a barrel you already have and just add the compensator? But I could be way wrong.

From what I remember its 1/2 x28 thread more than likely they put some locktite on it so it wouldn't come loose.

dgwelsh, no this hasn't been answered for me yet.

I hope you guys are right about the threading!
smile.gif
I'll give Savage a call next week or maybe I'll get impatient and get the torch out.

No range report yet, I just got it today
smile.gif
But the weekend is here! So hopefully my next posts will be "I got the compensator off" followed by "It shoots amazing!"

Ive read numerous times on the net that it was threaded and lock-tited on, try heating it up man.

The barrel is threaded after all
laugh.gif
I'm kinda wondering why people aren't jumping all over Cabela's $429 deal. Based on the one piece scope base, upgraded bolt handle, and threaded muzzle, it's a hell of a deal compared to the TRSR if you can even find someone who still stocks them. BGS had the TRRSR but it was $465 and you still have to pay a transfer. Regardless, I'm super happy with it so far and can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_end</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kinda wondering why people aren't jumping all over Cabela's $429 deal.</div></div>

Because the Savage TR is the same gun but with a black stock and without the break and rail for $380. The Cabelas exclusive is regularly at $499.99.

Run a Propane torch lightly over the compensator and feed a screwdriver through the holes and use it to twist off.

Nice lookin stick, still dont know why they felt the need to add a brake other than being cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_end</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kinda wondering why people aren't jumping all over Cabela's $429 deal.</div></div>

Because the Savage TR is the same gun but with a black stock and without the break and rail for $380. The Cabelas exclusive is regularly at $499.99. </div></div>

Where'd you find the TR for $380? Online it's $399 and local shops and big name stores here are at $449.

And the TRSR is what I was comparing the Cabela's exclusive too. The TRSR is $465 on budsgunshop.com and out of stock. No one else seems to have it in stock either. So you buy the Cabela's exclusive on sale at $429 + tax (-$85 if you can open a new Cabela's club Visa) and basically get the TRSR after taking off the compensator and a nice EGW base ($39.99) and cool bolt handle for less than the $465+transfer would run for a TRSR. $499 is a little steep though, I probably wouldn't have paid that much since tax would have put it close to $550.

I suppose it's all a moot point if you don't want a threaded barrel though. The TR is easy to find and cheaper.

And ggmanning

It's a 22" barrel and 1/2-28. My TI Tac-65 screws right on.

Thanks. I like the upgrades on this rifle. Can't decide if I want a 16 or a 22" threaded. I already have a 77/22 in 16" threaded but want a trainer style set up so maybe 22" is the way to go for me.

I called Cabelas and was told that the sale on the rifle ends on the 8th so I had them put a hold on one for me. I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday. With the sale price, $85 off for opening a Visa account and a $25 gift card that I have this should be a sweet deal.