• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I broke the pin in my Lee decapper...

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
I have probably <500 cases through this thing. Tonight I ran a LC69 30-06 (original crimped primer) through it and BANG, end of the pin's life.

It wasn't a lot of $, but it appears to be a weak POS. Leads me to 2 questions:

1) Is the pin replaceable? Is that an easily obtained part (ie midway, etc)? Or should I call Lee re: a warranty repair?

2) What are you guys using to decap .mil crimped brass that isn't a piece of shit?

Thanks,
-Slice

Re: I broke the pin in my Lee decapper...

I can't remember the diameter of the pin... but Home Depot sells the steel rod by the foot. Mic it, take your mic to HD, buy the foot that matches the diameter, snip it, install it, and drive on. If your snips put a bur on it you can't get around, turn it on a belt sander.

I haven't had to buy one in a couple of years but that is what I did.

Great idea, thanks. I take it this is a fairly common problem?

-Slice

With the lee dies that I have the stem and pin are one piece. Pin is pressed into the stem.

Call LEE and order a couple. Crimped primers, rocks, media, etc. can all be bad on decapping pins. I've broken several brands, so it's not necessarily a LEE problem. I doubt it was a crimped primer that broke it, but possibly an offset flash hole or large burr inside.

I get them a dozen at a time from Lee. Sucks, but it is breakable. I run one on the progressives and if I get an offcenter flash hole, well, you know what happens.

John

I've done that before usually my fault case is not set on the holder correct, something like that.
order a few from Lee only like 2-3 dollars
super easy to replace.
Wait till you stick a case in a die now thats a pain!
T

It costs all of a buck to replace........order a few and have extra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember the diameter of the pin... but Home Depot sells the steel rod by the foot. Mic it, take your mic to HD, buy the foot that matches the diameter, snip it, install it, and drive on. If your snips put a bur on it you can't get around, turn it on a belt sander.

I haven't had to buy one in a couple of years but that is what I did. </div></div>

Or get a cheap carbon steel drill bit and cut to length. CS will flex a carbide will not and just snap if all is not well. One 99 cent bit will get you a fix and a spare.

"2) What are you guys using to decap .mil crimped brass that isn't a piece of shit?"

If you think Lee's decapping pin is a weak POS I assume you haven't yet used any others very much?

Call Lee and tell them. They will send you a knew one free of charge. Ive done it more than once. As far as the decapping pin goes its pressed into the stem but you can get it out of you need to. I have pulled it out to resize brass that was already primed.

Did that a couple of weeks ago. Called Lee, and had to send the old one back, and they sent me another one free.

One piece pin .

walked all the ranges at the club and picked up 1200 .223 brass after snow melt, broke 5 RCBS pins so far, and 300 brass left to go, good thing I bought the 50 bag of replacement pins, about 8 $. No stuck cases this batch using about a teaspoon of lee wax lube watered down in batches of 300, leaves a very thin wax haze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember the diameter of the pin... but Home Depot sells the steel rod by the foot. Mic it, take your mic to HD, buy the foot that matches the diameter, snip it, install it, and drive on. If your snips put a bur on it you can't get around, turn it on a belt sander.

I haven't had to buy one in a couple of years but that is what I did. </div></div>

Or get a cheap carbon steel drill bit and cut to length. CS will flex a carbide will not and just snap if all is not well. One 99 cent bit will get you a fix and a spare. </div></div>

yeah good call.... I use the same little bits as roll pin punches on AR gas blocks. Way cheaper to break those, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: claimsassassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it the universal decapper die?</div></div>

Yep.

I'll call them Monday and see what they say...

You can get the pins almost anywhere. Right from Lee or somebody else like Graf's or Midway USA. I have about 6 extra on hand, just in case.

That little pin you broke is a press fit roller bearing pin.
Wait till you get a case stuck in the competition's sizing die, then you'll love LEE for their way to remove it.

I bought the RCBS decapper (only b/c Lee was sold out) first time I used it the damn thing snapped! I was like...wtf!
I thought Lee says theirs is "un-breakable"....guess not huh..

Broke mine last Saturday, called Lee on Monday, had a new one in the mail free of charge by Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bladeweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get the pins almost anywhere. Right from Lee or somebody else like Graf's or Midway USA. I have about 6 extra on hand, just in case. </div></div>

This. Had the same experience and bought 6 after I broke the first one.

They're sending me a new one, no charge. Great people.

Never broke one in several thousand pieces of brass I have decapped. I only use Lapua brass and that might have something to do with my success. When I ordered my Lee, I did get a couple of extra stems just in case.

I had one break on me as well. Lee sent me one in about 4 days. The reason it broke I had unknowingly picked up a berdan primed case. The decapping rod was torqued down so tight it couldn't slide up. It took a 10 inch cresent wrench and lots of muscle to loosen the nut and get the broken rod out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one break on me as well. Lee sent me one in about 4 days. The reason it broke I had unknowingly picked up a berdan primed case. The decapping rod was torqued down so tight it couldn't slide up. It took a 10 inch cresent wrench and lots of muscle to loosen the nut and get the broken rod out. </div></div>

Been there done that one as well. I actaully snapped threads off the peice the rod sits in. The pins are like 2 bucks at midway so I put a few in my cart on my next order. I did have a issue with some primers not wanting to come out and the pin actually punching through the primer. Biggest thing is make sure the shell is in the shell holder all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one break on me as well. Lee sent me one in about 4 days. The reason it broke I had unknowingly picked up a berdan primed case. The decapping rod was torqued down so tight it couldn't slide up. It took a 10 inch cresent wrench and lots of muscle to loosen the nut and get the broken rod out. </div></div>

Been there done that one as well. I actaully snapped threads off the peice the rod sits in. The pins are like 2 bucks at midway so I put a few in my cart on my next order. I did have a issue with some primers not wanting to come out and the pin actually punching through the primer. <span style="font-weight: bold">Biggest thing is make sure the shell is in the shell holder all the way.</span> </div></div>

Thats what happened to me when I broke my first one.