• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I built a Rock River bull barrel gun recently.

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Here is a sample target (note I wrote 2008 but the correct year is 2009. Oops.)

SCAN0010.jpg

Parts: RRA upper, lower, LPK, YHM forearm, JP gas block, RRA 20" 1-8 barrel.

036.jpg

Re: I built a Rock River bull barrel gun recently.

They do shoot well
Here is a 10 rd 200 yard group from mine

group.jpg

Nice shooting fellas. I need to do some load development with my new Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit. Sigthed it in and shot a couple groups. This was with Winchester 55gr Ballistic tip at 100 meters. Rock river makes some nice shooting rifles!!

RockRiver55grBallisticTip.jpg

0.479", 0.419 MOA

When you say you built it, what did you do?

I have three AR uppers that don't shoot that well:
a) skinny combat barrel with flash hider 1.1 - 1.5"
b) heavy barrel with no flash hider 1.1 - 1.5"
c) Fat bull barrel SS too heavy to carry to the bench 1.1 - 1.5"

My Ruger #1V 223 shoot .45 - 1", so it's not me, in case you wondered.

I have a really good Loather Walther bull barrel blank, but lack the AR upper building experience. I have a really good .223 custom reamer too.

You better try something a bit heavier. The 55gr bullets are not exactly light but with the 8 twist i would shoot some 68-69gr match bullets, then see what she will do. Lee

Clark, I am NO EXPERT but I did see a few tips here on the hide about driving an AR vs a bolt gun . What I notice in your post is that 3 different uppers gave exactly the same results for you. That means to me to not discount yourself. Surely one would have shot better or worse if youre recognising their full potential. You just might be doing something behind the AR's thats opening you up a bit VS the Ruger.

Excellent Rifles

I have a RRA Varmint 24" barrel, shoots similar with Black Hills 75 grain loads, My 1-8" twist barrel shoots up to 77gns well. Best most consistent rifle I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">500,
When you say you built it, what did you do?</div></div>

I just bought the parts and did the assembly work. No machine work.

Your guns that do not shoot well could have a variety of issues with them. There is a guy locally here who charges 500 or 600 bucks in labor to either accurize an existing gun or built one that is really accurate. He has a bunch of special jigs and tools for getting the barrel perfectly square with the receiver, getting the bolt face square with the barrel, getting the bolt lugs all in contact and square, getting the bolt carrier squared up, etc. He once told me all the stuff he does and it sounded like a huge pain in the butt. I guess the stars aligned correctly for my RRA build.

I know a real gunsmith, Randy Ketchum, who does gunsmithing that I cannot. I have all the right equipment, but lack knowledge and skill.

I blew up the barrel on an old Ruger 44 mag carbine.
I took it and a new Marlin 444 lever barrel to him.
He milled and drilled a gas hole, and made the world's most accurate 44 mag semi auto for me.

I can re barrel Mausers, Rem700s, Savage 99s, Savage 110s, Win M70s, Arisakas, Ruger 10/22s, etc

I have ARs, FALs, and BARs to rebarrel, and someday I must learn to drill my own gas hole.

I wish I new how to get a big bore Mauser to feed, or knew someone who could teach me. There are only a couple of dozen smiths in the US who can really do it right every time.

I converted a VZ24 from 8mm Mauser to the longer and fatter 300 Win Mag.

I opened the magazine box.
I opened the bolt face.
I opened the extractor.
I opened the feed ramp.
I opened the feed lips.

I made dummy rounds with round nose bullets and it feeds perfectly, even upside down.

I went hunting with Barnes triple shock bullets, and found I was hunting with a single shot. The pointed bullet tips got caught between the mag box and the feed ramp.

I reduced the distance between the magazine box and the feed lips. Others may fill in the gap with glass bedding.

Now it works perfectly with pointed bullets too.

This guy is working on Mauser actions, destined for Africa, that cost way more than the $150 VZ24s I am messing with:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/843106779

But he does essentially the same process I do: carbide burr to cut down the feed ramp and lips. Try to feed, see where the hang up is, mark it, and cut some more.

Yup, Duane Wiebe knows how to make a 500 Jeff feed perfectly every time. But he is one in a million. Ryan Breeding does it too, as well as Trevor Proctor in England and a couple of guys in Germany. I wish I had bought Duane's personal 500 Jeff a few years ago when he offered it for $8K prior to the auction. I don't know what he gets for a rifle these days, but Ryan is up to $20K. www.rbbigbores.com

single load some 75g A-Maxs and see how good it gets
grin.gif

I know it's a AR15 but there's nothing better than seeing one ragged hole for 5-10 shots