• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I can't decide and need some help

TKellogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
South West Michigan
I have a remington 700 in 222rem. I like the round shoots great but what I don't like is how fast the barrel warms up and how long it takes to cool down. If I shoot the 4 rounds I can fit in the gun it stay HOT for 30mins+.

My plan is to shoot some PD's next year with it but this heat thing is bumming me out. I don't want to ruin the barrel because I'm impatiant and the rifle doesn't get the proper amount of cool down.

So I've come up with a few options. Let me know what you think is the best idea. I can't decide what to do.
1: Rebarrel the rifle in 223rem
2: Rebarrel the rifle with a heavy fluted barrel in 222rem
3: Buy a second rifle

All these I figure are about the same cost I'm not overly invested in the 222rem round but I need to figure something out fast before I order 500+ pcs of brass and more bulletts for my trip.

Re: I can't decide and need some help

Is it a heavy varmint contour barrel or sporter weight? Any sporter weight centerfire barrel is going to heat up quickly, especially when its warm outside. I'm used to only getting 3 shots off in the Mississippi summer before the barrel is very hot.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't rebarrel a .222 rem 700 because they are a little hard to come by. Buy a separate purpose-built heavy barrel rifle for the varmint shooting, .223 or .204 ruger if it was me.

a heavy contour like MTU should work. At the very least, use a Remington Varmint contour

If you really like to pour rounds downrange at prairie dogs, one rifle isn't nearly enough.

Consider getting a pair of .223's AND a pair of .204's, plus take your .308/7mm/6.5mm for an occaisional shot at useful distances.

And, if you don't have a progressive loader, then get one and take out a second (third?) mortgage to buy more brass, powder, primers, etc.

Seriously, that .222 is a good round for varmints. You'd be able to send a few more shots down a heavy-barreled rifle but it will eventually get hot (very hot) and take a while to cool down. Presume fluting might allow it to cool a little faster (hey, there is more surface area, right?)

I'd just shoot the .222 til it pukes, then shoot something else while it's being rebarreled.

It is a sporter contour barrel. I picked the rifle up becuase it was in such nice shape and heard good things about the 222rem. So naturally I'm kind of leaning toward a new rifle in 223 or 308. Just gives me a good reason to buy a new toy.

I have a .222 Remington 700 VS that was built in the early 80s. Great rifle. The best PD rifle I have ever owned. Don't rebarrel to a different caliber. As stated before, get a second or even third rifle so you can rotate them as you shoot. There is no single rifle/caliber that will withstand hours of nonstop shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So naturally I'm kind of leaning toward a new rifle in 223 or 308. Just gives me a good reason to buy a new toy. </div></div>

now youre talkin!

I would rebarrel it in 204, I love that round. I have on in an AR and it will shoot .25moa. it has a Shilen barrel. Or just build an AR in 204.