• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I Can't Take It Anymore!!!

farrier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2011
NY
Was in Tractor Supply today and they had boots on sale. I'm about ready to put away my winter boots so I thought I would find a pair. I shoe horses so I need a plain old 6" leather boot, steel toe, good quality, good support. As an aside, my new years resolution was not to spend one dime of my money on chi-com crap this year! Look at all the nice boots, Wolverine made in china, Carhart made in china , Schmidt made in china. Help me out, all I want is a pair of boots made in a democracy!
Thanks, Mike

Re: I Can't Take It Anymore!!!

Hi i also shoe horses ive always liked the double h steel toes they hold up well. I have a tendency to roll the outsides bad on everything else. I cant remember where their made an im to lazy to walk out to the mudd room an check. Its nice to see another farrier on here.

I am pretty sure Georgia Boots are made in USA. I have had my pull-on steel toes for a couple years now and they are still the comfiest boots I own.

I was using a rammer tamper a couple months ago and it landed straight on my left toe. The only damage was a rip in the leather straight to the steel but my toes were perfectly fine.

Dude get a pair of Danner. I just picked up a pair. They re hands down the most comfortable boots I have ever worn period. Plus they are made here in Oreon!

I know they aren't made in America but my doc martens steel toes are comfy as hell and last 2 years in my trade as a tool maker/welder

I agree with deadnbrkn84!

Get Danners.....

I just got a pair of Acadias (not steel toe though). They are awesome boots........

You can get them in steel toe.......

Danner stitchdowns are made in the U.S. Glued soles made overseas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last pair of Danners I bought were made in China.
</div></div>

Interesting. I don't know what pair you bought but at the factory store you're next to the factory where they um make them. Unless you bought some real cheap ones, I don't know where those are made.

Here's a link with every boot made by Danner in the US:

http://www.danner.com/boots/?features=79

Danner all the way. Comfiest boots ever to grace my pussy ass feet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know they aren't made in America but my doc martens steel toes are comfy as hell and last 2 years in my trade as a tool maker/welder </div></div>

Most DMs are made in China now too. Redwings, us made Danner, whites,justin only for me.

I'm a big fan of Keens. They are kind of greenie, San Francisco style company but I have weird sized feet and they make boots that actually fit me. Because of this thread I took a look at where they are made... Guess where, Asia... Their site says they have established a US based manufacture facility but have not transfer production yet. Here's to hoping they do...

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/shoes/men/industrial

I just noticed that on that page I linked... There is a little USA flag on the models made in the US. Good to see!!

Chippewa. Made in Wisconsin. Only boots I've been wearing for past two years. Background- I work site construction- in work boots 10-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week from Mid-March thru December. Since I found them in summer of 2010, As of Dec 2011, I was still in my first pair. (Decided to start this year with a new pair). Great boots, but for the first month or so, wear two pairs of socks (they take a good month of use to fully break in.)

"Help me out, all I want is a pair of boots made in a democracy!"

Mike, I am sorry to disagree but I want my boots made in a constitutional republic like the United States.
Definition;
"A constitutional republic is a state in which the head of state and other officials are representatives of the people and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over all of its citizens. Because the head of the state is elected, it is a republic and not a monarchy."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_republic

I know the brain dead media and politicians say we are a mobocracy but we are not --at least until they finish destroying the constitution.
The word democracy is not in the constitution---it is in the communist manifesto numerous times.Please don't be offended because I agree with the sentiment of your post.Our problems are occurring because the elected no longer represent us even though we vote for them.The idea that we want them to do what a mob of voters wants rather than be constrained by the constitution will be the end of us --who ever makes our boots. The mob of voters is for sale and can be bought with a welfare check borrowed from the fed.
Again I am sorry for being a compulsive jerk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Wisco West Boots
52828 NW Shoe Factory Lane PO Box 607
Scappoose, OR 97056-0607 USA.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/info.asp </div></div>
Have worn custom fit high liners for nearly 12 years. When they break in its like putting on a pair of sox. Made in USA, rebuildable, and tough. Bar none the best I have worn.

We have a "boot truck" that comes to our refinery once a month. I spoke with him on this very same subject last time I seen him.

Just a FYI.....According to the Rep.
There is actually only ONE style of Redwings that are still 100% made in the USA. It is a mid-top lace-up style boot. They typically sell for $180-$200 a pair. All other Redwing boots are, to some degree, made or assembled over seas.

I hate buying c-com but just about everything here is from there.Buy USA and support and keep industry and jobs at home

i would have to agree with the red wings. Alot of the red wings seem to hold up alot better then most other brands. I would only wear then while i was in the oil field.

to all who replied,
Thanks for all the input. I now have several options that I wasn't aware of yesterday. This is why this site is so great, ask a question and so many step up to help.
Mike

Get a pair of custom made Whites Boots out of Spokane WA.... the best money can buy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendy300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a pair of custom made Whites Boots out of Spokane WA.... the best money can buy </div></div>

+1

Belleville Boots are made in Belleville, IL and Arkansas. Thorgood boots are a little pricey but made in USA.

Need a made in USA forum, this was interesting and very educational.

Chippewa is the brand I go with. Some of them are not made in the US, but most are. Make sure to look. Most companies, regardless of industry, offer some kind of "budget line" that is made overseas and merely branded with the name. Carhartt is prime example. I loved their whole product line for design and ruggedness. Now they're mainly Mexican made, "for the American worker", my ass. I'd pay more for it, if only they made them in Michigan.

I have been wearing Chippewa for over fourteen years. Once Georgia logger boots went to China, I had to drop them. I am so weary of any company breaking under the pressure for lower prices, I buy Chippewas two pair at a time. Just in case when I need them again, they will be Chinese made.

Granted, Chippewas are over $200 a pair, but for the quality and the knowledge they are made in America, its worth it to me. They last for years anyway, so it is a no brainer. It would ruin my day each morning to knowingly pull on a pair of foreign made boots. I use enough Chinese crap everyday just because there is no choice any more. Enough is enough. It makes me sick.

Voss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude get a pair of Danner. I just picked up a pair. They re hands down the most comfortable boots I have ever worn period. Plus they are made here in Oreon! </div></div>

I love Danner...they're all I wore when I worked in Corrections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A1peacemaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude get a pair of Danner. I just picked up a pair. They re hands down the most comfortable boots I have ever worn period. Plus they are made here in Oreon! </div></div>

I love Danner...they're all I wore when I worked in Corrections. </div></div>

Danner FTW.... you walk in my closet and it looks like we have 4 men in the house with all the Danner boots...LMAO...

Hey I can use that excuse tooo "I got them on sale"

The wife doesnt use that one anymore now HAHAHA

Whites in Spokane,WA-custom made to your foot!!
$400+ but they'll outlast all others for years 'till rebuild.

You can wear them for days on end & your feet feel like you just put them on.

There's a reason Smoke Jumpers choose Whites Boots.

All others Chippewa,Danner,RedWing are production run JUNK.

I know this a little off topic but I tried to explain this to a 20-something I was working with a few years ago. I asked him (regardless of the product) isn't it better that the majority of your money stayed here in the U.S. rather than end up in say Tokyo? He couldn't seem to grasp the concept that a few less dollars in HIS pocket today might mean we'd all have more down the road.

Check out this site:

American Made Work Boots

one of these days the US government might actually understand that they need to incentivize manufacturing here in the US.

i say give manufacturing plants a huge tax break....something that looks criminal where the government doesn't make very much off of the company's expenses for the manufacturing portion of the business.

They fail to grasp the fact that there will be a net gain of taxes just based off of the payroll end for the employess.

There is no way that the US can compete with costs of labor in China. This is a simple way to offset the labor differences that the companies have to deal with by having US manufacturing plants.

I've been wearing Redwing USA made for years, almost bought a pair of Danner until I saw the made in china tag on 'em. I have noticed a lot of redwing is listed as having materials supplied from other countries but still built here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one of these days the US government might actually understand that they need to incentivize manufacturing here in the US.

i say give manufacturing plants a huge tax break....something that looks criminal where the government doesn't make very much off of the company's expenses for the manufacturing portion of the business.

They fail to grasp the fact that there will be a net gain of taxes just based off of the payroll end for the employess.

There is no way that the US can compete with costs of labor in China. This is a simple way to offset the labor differences that the companies have to deal with by having US manufacturing plants.</div></div>

Sorry but they know exactly what they are doing. Making us dependent on foreign trade. And FWIW Hell NO I Don't Like it

I got a pair of H&H thats made here thats what I wear when I don't have my Danners on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOONEY7750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Belleville Boots are made in Belleville, IL and Arkansas. Thorgood boots are a little pricey but made in USA. </div></div>

I have worn Belleville and Danner all over the world. I need to send my fifteen year old Danner's in for a refit. My Bellevilles were revived from the bottom of a seabag three years ago. I replaced the insoles with some Superfeet Greens and I wore the outer soles smooth. I need to have them resoled as well.

Get a good pair of boots with replaceable soles and they will last you a good long time. Most of the china made stuff is designed to throw away. While my Merrells are good on my feet, they are trash after a year.

Local mom-n-pop boot store carries Danner, White, Westco, etc. - or more specifically you can get fitted for a pair of Whites or Westcos and order thru them. I've got a pair of Westco 'Firewalkers' for about 7 years now... for some reason or another I tend to grind down the outside of the heel in about a year, maybe year-and-a-half on most boots, and most big brand boots have uni-soles where you can't just replace the heel anymore. Gotta replace the *whole* sole, which can easily run more than half the prices of a new pair of boots. I've gotten the heel replaced on my Westcos twice (need to get in and have it done again) as they ground down, and the stitching fixed up once. Yes, they're expensive, but in the long run cheaper than buying pair after pair of lesser boots even with the periodic rebuild costs.

Interesting that so many people think all Danner boots are made in USA... like I said, the local store is a Danner dealer. They showed me ones that were made in USA, and ones that were made in Vietnam. That pretty much decided me on the Westco boots...

Here is a list of Danner boots that meet your criteria. I have the Danner Light and had them put on the Vibram Cristy sole that way I don't have loads of cow shit on them all the time. I'm fairly confident that Danner would work with you to get the exact boot you wanted.

Redwing is where it's at, although you do have to do your homework because not all of them are made in the USA nowadays

im not sure where there made but my ariat boots have held up better than any other western boot i have had.

I bought a pair of Redwings not too long ago. I wanted a pair of composite safety toe since I walk through metal detectors every day. Well, the composite safety toe from Redwing was made in China. At a price point of 180.00, I don't see why they couldn't manufacture these boots in the U.S.?