• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I changed my mind again. Now I want twins.

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I've been going back and forth on what to do... Build a 223 to take a preision rifle class and maybe shoot some matches....
Or... Put my CZ455 and my 243 in matching chassis and put a matching scope on the 243. Take the Rimfire course at Rifles Only, and spend the money saved on building a whole new rifle and just buy a pile of bullets and a few thousand primers for the 243.

MDT LSS is available for both the 700 and the 455. The forend looks a little short maybe?

PDCcustom has a chassis that looks to have an ARCA rail built in

Indian creek designs has a built in ARCA rail and a pretty sweet looking grip, but it doesnt come with a buttstock.

Any others that offer a matching 700 and 455 chassis you guys could suggest?
MDT is looking good, I can get the pair for under $900. I don't know that I need an ARCA rail, it looks and sounds cool but I have little experience with it. I have a short piece of ARCA on the 243 now so it sits on a tripod.

So it looks like the MDT LSS does not come with a buttstock or grip. That adds quite a bit to the overall price.
Anybody use the XRS? That one seems to come with everything. $1,100 all in for 2 guns seems decent.

The xrs is pretty great. I had the original that didn’t accept inside weights so I upgraded to the covered foreend to add some internal weights to it to compensate for the short barrel on props (edit: plus integrated arca).
I prefer its thinner grip feel to the bravo.
7744D024-9602-4D19-A3C7-1C2F0FA41014.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5RWill and Stoweit
I like simple. I have a CZ455 .22 for PRS22 and NRL22 and an Impact in 6GT for PRS, but they wear different stocks/chassis. The CZ came with a Manners stock and the Impact is sitting in a MDT ACC. While I can see the benefit of having both set up identically, there’s always going to be some differences between the two (length of the bolt throw for one).

However both have an Arca rail on the fore end. The CZ has the 14” weighted Arca rail from Area 419 and the MDT’s fore end has a full length Arca rail milled into it. The advantage with both running full length Arca rails is they can share the same accessories such as bipod and gamer plate both equipped with an Arca clamp. The other advantage of having a full length rail is being able to put the bipod or plate wherever works best for the shooting position (sucked in close to the magwell or further out towards the muzzle). Both are fairly well balanced, so despite the CZ being about 4 lbs lighter how I go about shooting from different positions is fairly similar.

The xrs is pretty great. I had the original that didn’t accept inside weights so I upgraded to the covered foreend to add some internal weights to it to compensate for the short barrel on props.
View attachment 8030902
Your screen name on your bag is pretty cool.
I really wanted twin Bravo chassis but they don't make it for the CZ anymore.

I like simple. I have a CZ455 .22 for PRS22 and NRL22 and an Impact in 6GT for PRS, but they wear different stocks/chassis. The CZ came with a Manners stock and the Impact is sitting in a MDT ACC. While I can see the benefit of having both set up identically, there’s always going to be some differences between the two (length of the bolt throw for one).

However both have an Arca rail on the fore end. The CZ has the 14” weighted Arca rail from Area 419 and the MDT’s fore end has a full length Arca rail milled into it. The advantage with both running full length Arca rails is they can share the same accessories such as bipod and gamer plate both equipped with an Arca clamp. The other advantage of having a full length rail is being able to put the bipod or plate wherever works best for the shooting position (sucked in close to the magwell or further out towards the muzzle). Both are fairly well balanced, so despite the CZ being about 4 lbs lighter how I go about shooting from different positions is fairly similar.
Weight, bolt throw, magazine manipulation and recoil will of course be different. The only ARCA I have is on the 700 so I could mount it on my tripod. I have not stepped up to good bipods yet, but being able to share accessories is a major plus.
Basically I want to run the hell out of the 22 and then when I eventually get to a centerfire class or a match everything is as close as possible. Hopefully the only real difference would be my dope.

If you get two identical, and they are for different types of actions but much more important, for different calibers, get each chassis in a different color.

When a fellow gets in a hurry, it Is too easy to make a mistake. And sometimes the Big Bang is a Bigger Bang that what is wanted or expected. It happens.

If you get two identical, and they are for different types of actions but much more important, for different calibers, get each chassis in a different color.

When a fellow gets in a hurry, it Is too easy to make a mistake. And sometimes the Big Bang is a Bigger Bang that what is wanted or expected. It happens.
I could see showing up to the range with the 22 when signed up for a centerfire class.... That would suck.

The xrs is pretty great. I had the original that didn’t accept inside weights so I upgraded to the covered foreend to add some internal weights to it to compensate for the short barrel on props.
View attachment 8030902

Totally agree with Spife on the feel of the XRS. Unfortunately, I sold mine to help fund the ACC purchase. I should have sold my Bravo instead.

If by matching them you're hoping to creat more effective training, I wouldn't bother. Imo, you can get everything you would get shooting 22 by dry firing your cf. Unless one of the things you want is to be better at 22.

If by matching them you're hoping to creat more effective training, I wouldn't bother. Imo, you can get everything you would get shooting 22 by dry firing your cf. Unless one of the things you want is to be better at 22.
You make a very good point. However, I would like to add an exception. . If a range with a decent distance is not available and a shorter range Is. (In my case, a 300 yard range is jsut down the road while the closest range with distances out to 700+ yards is a two hour drive) Then, .22 practice at the shorter ranges at real targets gives practice at wind calls, possibly temp variations and mirage.

While there is some position practice at the shorter range, 300 yards is pretty much a chip shot for a precision rifle.

It gives you wind for 22.
Practice w 22 is just that; there's not enough crossover to warrant the cost over dey fire. You wanna be good w 22, shoot 22. You wanna be good w... Well you know where I'm going this.
I think shooting 22 is good fun and I'm cool w it.
I think shooting cf is good fun and Im cool w it.
I think building/altering rifles is good fun and I'm down w that too.
But I'm not gonna try to convince myself shooting the 22 is gonna make me better w the cf nor vice versa.
Hell, my air rifle is way closer to my 22 ballistically than my 22 is to my CF, but they're still very different animals.

Or buy a badass action that has good prefit selection like an Impact with 223 and 308 bolts, and get a 223 prefit and whatever else you want, spend as much on a top tier stock/chassis as you would for both of those, and then spend as much on an optic as you would both of those and have one top tier rifle setup that does it all.

Or buy a badass action that has good prefit selection like an Impact with 223 and 308 bolts, and get a 223 prefit and whatever else you want, spend as much on a top tier stock/chassis as you would for both of those, and then spend as much on an optic as you would both of those and have one top tier rifle setup that does it all.
That was where I started. But I shoot the 22 match kind of regular now. Ive already got the 243 and a load that shoots pretty sweet. I probably won't shoot that many centerfire matches, if it turns out I get sucked into that too.... then I'll build another gun.

I have dry fired a little. It just doesn't feel the same. Also when shooting positions with the 22 I found when I was hunched up on a rooftop my impacts moved up, way up. Dryfire would not show me that.
I'm hoping to shoot off of every prop I have and can make up and get good with the 22. The 243 with the same stock and scope should just be heavier but have the same fit and feel.

One of the nice things about NRL22 is their courses of fire use a lot of props that most of us have in our garage such as step ladders, 5 gal and 2 gal buckets, saw horses, cinder blocks, tires…. And they post the monthly COFs online so you can see what to practice before the match.

So I experimented a with those props at home to see what worked best for me. For example, shooting off a 5 gal bucket I would plunk my rifle on top of a Schmedium bag get into a low kneeling position behind it. Off a 2 gal bucket, cinder block or tire my back won’t let me bend enough so I would go prone and rest my elbows on the ground. Saw horse was an upright kneeling position. And so on. I wasn’t pulling the trigger each time (not good for CZs) but I would get into position and settle the reticle on target w/ as minimal wobble as possible and work the bolt. Sometimes I would dial for different distances, sometimes I would hold over.

This kind of practice helped me become more efficient with my time. Often I would set a par time to go from standing with all gear in hand, get into a solid position, settle the reticle on target, then simulating firing two shots at a target, all under 15 secs. This practice, along with knowing ahead of time what was my best body position for a given prop gave me more time to be sure of my shot and finish a COF under par time.

So dry-firing with a rifle (especially a rimfire) is not always about pulling the trigger.

That was where I started. But I shoot the 22 match kind of regular now. Ive already got the 243 and a load that shoots pretty sweet. I probably won't shoot that many centerfire matches, if it turns out I get sucked into that too.... then I'll build another gun.
The 243 win is a great cartridge if its running 8 twist barrel...
but otherwise, you won't stabilize 105 or 109 class bullets very well.

The 243 win is a great cartridge if its running 8 twist barrel...
but otherwise, you won't stabilize 105 or 109 class bullets very well.
1:7 Criterion. 115 Berger VLD Hunting. 3 shots at 1,000 I could cover with my open hand. DTACs shoot almost exactly the same.
Guys on here made the barrel suggestion.

Reactions: ma smith
One of the nice things about NRL22 is their courses of fire use a lot of props that most of us have in our garage such as step ladders, 5 gal and 2 gal buckets, saw horses, cinder blocks, tires…. And they post the monthly COFs online so you can see what to practice before the match.

So I experimented a with those props at home to see what worked best for me. For example, shooting off a 5 gal bucket I would plunk my rifle on top of a Schmedium bag get into a low kneeling position behind it. Off a 2 gal bucket, cinder block or tire my back won’t let me bend enough so I would go prone and rest my elbows on the ground. Saw horse was an upright kneeling position. And so on. I wasn’t pulling the trigger each time (not good for CZs) but I would get into position and settle the reticle on target w/ as minimal wobble as possible and work the bolt. Sometimes I would dial for different distances, sometimes I would hold over.

This kind of practice helped me become more efficient with my time. Often I would set a par time to go from standing with all gear in hand, get into a solid position, settle the reticle on target, then simulating firing two shots at a target, all under 15 secs. This practice, along with knowing ahead of time what was my best body position for a given prop gave me more time to be sure of my shot and finish a COF under par time.

So dry-firing with a rifle (especially a rimfire) is not always about pulling the trigger.
I definitely need to practice getting into and out of positions faster and better. The dryfire/practice dancing can be done in the front yard.
Shooting the 22 matches is just different. Trying to remember teh course if fire, having a timer and a bunch of people watching you adds some stress.