• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I cheaped out and look what happened

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
I was at Big 5 killing some time while getting the oil in my car changed about a month ago.

Spied a red dot in a mount on sale for $44 bucks and thought, eh that'll work for my 350 legend upper till I can get something better.

Last week I finally mounted it up and guess what?? the windage wouldn't move so I couldn't even sight the AR in.

Had lost the receipt, but brought it back to the store the next day, they gave me store credit. Saw a cheap 1-4 on sale in a mount, and with a mini red dot on the mount, and thought, hmm, I could put that red dot on my PS90 and the 1-4 on my 350 legend, so I walked out with that combo.

LOL, the 1-4 wouldn't return to zero after trying to hit the 400M turkey which I gave up trying to hit because the erector had stopped it's upward travel.

Couldn't sight in the mini red dot on the PS90 at all, it was like playing whack a mole, lol!!!

I hope they give me my money back, I kept the receipt this time.

Share your funny stories about this kind of thing if you want.

I cheaped-out this past week and said well, it cannot be worse than the vintage Weaver 3-9x that has a screwy ocular. So I bought the Athlon Neos 3-9x Center-X from Doug @cameraland. As usual, more rain so I didn't get to look at it outside. Inside it seems ok for 90 bucks. The eyebox is actually quite forgiving. I also purchased one of the Midas red-dots on sale (gone now). I think I can actually see better out of it than the MRO!! Probably not fair since it's not mounted. Overall, i'm quite pleased for < 205 bucks.

I'm going to try to use the old vintage Kwik-site mounts. Like I said...cheap!!

I think I need to check myself into a Cameraland addiction center though!!!

Reactions: TACC
Well, not sure if it has to be only optics... but I ordered som powder to try from American reloading. It's the milsurp 846 powder. And I also ordered some pulldown suerra 175s for plinking. At 19 cents a bullet, I figured I might as well. That almost as cheap as standard FMJ bullets for 308. Just gonna send em

I have 2 of a certain Bushnell fixed 4x that used to be sold at box stores for like $30. They come with .22 3/8 rings.

They are honestly very bright and have a great eyebox. Have used them for years on several squirrel slayers. I of course don’t dial them but once set they do not move. Simple duplex reticle.

I also am a HUGE fan of the Sig Romeo 5, for sometimes $99 on sale to the normal $129 @ PSA they are simply unbeatable. I have 5 with zero problems and the one that was on my SW15-22 was dropped many times (Wears a LPVO now, dang astigmatism).

I have a PA 4-14 mildot mil/mil FFP that has been dialed to death on 22s and has never failed. I used it 2 weeks ago to absolutely wear out a 1.25” swinger at 100 yards with my American 22. They still are only around $225. I have used it on steel with a 22 out to 400 yards.

I have some nicer optics, but sometimes depending on the use you do get great service for less than premium money. There certainly is a point of diminishing returns.

The worst experience was in finding a mount for my LPVO for the SW15-22.

I ended up finding another nice one on Amazon that was like $28 and is perfect for a plastic AR trainer.

Last edited:
My friend wants to put a Simmons on his .300 win mag for 1600 yards.

I met a new guy out where I shoot long range in the FS. He was trying to hit 1.5moa steel out to 600Y with his SFP 3-9 hunting scope with duplex reticle. It was pitiful, painful for me to watch, and his barrel was getting super hot from all that missing, lol.

Showed him my FFP Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 on top of my 223AI, let him shoot it, he was hitting all the steel easily, even using holdovers, and that didn't sway him in the least! He was staying with that 3-9, lol. Even asked me if I knew of a FFP with a duplex reticle, which blew my mind! Never been asked that before.

I met a new guy out where I shoot long range in the FS. He was trying to hit 1.5moa steel out to 600Y with his SFP 3-9 hunting scope with duplex reticle. It was pitiful, painful for me to watch, and his barrel was getting super hot from all that missing, lol.

Showed him my FFP Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 on top of my 223AI, let him shoot it, he was hitting all the steel easily, even using holdovers, and that didn't sway him in the least! He was staying with that 3-9, lol. Even asked me if I knew of a FFP with a duplex reticle, which blew my mind! Never been asked that before.

?‍♂️
This is why I don’t talk to people at range.

I cheaped-out this past week and said well, it cannot be worse than the vintage Weaver 3-9x that has a screwy ocular. So I bought the Athlon Neos 3-9x Center-X from Doug @cameraland. As usual, more rain so I didn't get to look at it outside. Inside it seems ok for 90 bucks. The eyebox is actually quite forgiving. I also purchased one of the Midas red-dots on sale (gone now). I think I can actually see better out of it than the MRO!! Probably not fair since it's not mounted. Overall, i'm quite pleased for < 205 bucks.

I'm going to try to use the old vintage Kwik-site mounts. Like I said...cheap!!

I think I need to check myself into a Cameraland addiction center though!!!

Well it's funny you mention this because I've personally had maybe 20 Athlon scopes and none of them have failed! Although I haven't tried a Neos yet.

The least expensive Athlon I have is a Talos 4-16 SFP/$180 which is unique because it has mil turrets and a mildot reticle, and focuses it down to 10Y, pretty light and compact too. Been on a varmint rifle for 2 years. Haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.

But the Trinity Force brand stuff i bought from Big 5 I'd rate as airsoft grade after using them. They are obviously worthless if they don't work, right?!

Reactions: deersniper
I have 2 of a certain Bushnell fixed 4x that used to be sold at box stores for like $30. They come with .22 3/8 rings.

They are honestly very bright and have a great eyebox. Have used them for years on several squirrel slayers. I of course don’t dial them but once set they do not move. Simple duplex reticle.

I also am a HUGE fan of the Sig Romeo 5, for sometimes $99 on sale to the normal $129 @ PSA they are simply unbeatable. I have 5 with zero problems and the one that was on my SW15-22 was dropped many times (Wears a LPVO now, dang astigmatism).

I have a PA 4-14 mildot mil/mil FFP that has been dialed to death on 22s and has never failed. I used it 2 weeks ago to absolutely wear out a 1.25” swinger at 100 yards with my American 22. They still are only around $225. I have used it on steel with a 22 out to 400 yards.

I have some nicer optics, but sometimes depending on the use you do get great service for less than premium money. There certainly is a point of diminishing returns.

The worst experience was in finding a mount for my LPVO for the SW15-22.

I ended up finding another nice one on Amazon that was like $28 and is perfect for a plastic AR trainer.

Thanks for recommendations!

I've had tons of less expensive scopes throughout the last 45 years with few problems but not any whack a mole deals like these Trinity Force Big 5 optics, lol.

How boring, I might have to apply my store credit for buying shoes, lol.

As for what not to buy, in my gun room, the rule now is nothing with Bushnell on the label. I've had nothing but heartache from them.
I have one of the Sig Romeo red dots and like it a lot. A "glowing" recommendation from a guy who has a difficult time with red dot optics.
The only Athlon, so far, is an Argos FFP and (mechanically) it does everything I have asked it to do.

Well it's funny you mention this because I've personally had maybe 20 Athlon scopes and none of them have failed! Although I haven't tried a Neos yet.

The least expensive Athlon I have is a Talos 4-16 SFP/$180 which is unique because it has mil turrets and a mildot reticle, and focuses it down to 10Y, pretty light and compact too. Been on a varmint rifle for 2 years. Haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.

But the Trinity Force brand stuff i bought from Big 5 I'd rate as airsoft grade after using them. They are obviously worthless if they don't work, right?!
i thought about the Talos, but since I was in the ultra-cheap mode..well I thought I'd gamble. As it's replacing an ancient weaver you can probably guess the accuracy of what it's on. I took it outside earlier and it's not half bad at all. Almost makes you question your sanity.

I've spent too much on optics the last 4 months!! (after years of no cash outlays)

That reminds me of a buddy that had a H&R handi-rifle with a BSA, or NcStar scope on it, that he bought for one of his kids. He brings it over, and leaves it with me, telling me it won't zero. Well, after about 10 rounds, and moving the dials, I figure out that they are labeled wrong.........you guessed it up was down, and left was right. I, of course made fun of him, and told him not bring anymore chinese shit to my house!

I was at Big 5 killing some time while getting the oil in my car changed about a month ago.

In problem solving, you need to identify what led to the poor decision to begin with. Often times poor decisions are predicated by other poor decisions. Much like when dominos fall. :geek:

i thought about the Talos, but since I was in the ultra-cheap mode..well I thought I'd gamble. As it's replacing an ancient weaver you can probably guess the accuracy of what it's on. I took it outside earlier and it's not half bad at all. Almost makes you question your sanity.

I've spent too much on optics the last 4 months!! (after years of no cash outlays)

That's kinda where I'm at right now, haven't worked since November.

That reminds me of a buddy that had a H&R handi-rifle with a BSA, or NcStar scope on it, that he bought for one of his kids. He brings it over, and leaves it with me, telling me it won't zero. Well, after about 10 rounds, and moving the dials, I figure out that they are labeled wrong.........you guessed it up was down, and left was right. I, of course made fun of him, and told him not bring anymore chinese shit to my house!

As luck/unluck would have it, just yesterday, a friends 20-ish year old 3-9 Leupold's coin slot turret was labeled backward. He had the rest of us look at it to confirm. Of course it was the normal CCW adjustment but the indicator had him going the opposite way.

In problem solving, you need to identify what led to the poor decision to begin with. Often times poor decisions are predicated by other poor decisions. Much like when dominos fall. :geek:

True that. Stupid of me to lose the receipt! I thought the RD would at least last a year or two - wrong.

At least with shoes I can try them on for size....

I still shoot long distance with my 40 year old Tasco world class!

I used to have one of those Springfield Armory relabeled Tasco's with target turrets, like a 8-32x56, I think??, it worked but I didn't shoot long range back then. It was mounted on a Kimber SVT 22rf and didn't shoot much past 100Y.

Reactions: Snipe260
I used to have one of those Springfield Armory relabeled Tasco's with target turrets, like a 8-32x56, I think??, it worked but I didn't shoot long range back then. It was mounted on a Kimber SVT 22rf and didn't shoot much past 100Y.
Yea I remember buying that scope at Kmart. I thought I was something with the world class??

Yea I remember buying that scope at Kmart. I thought I was something with the world class??
I remember an honest-to-goodness telescope from K-Mart. It was one of those that extened...like a pirates telescope matey.

• Haha
Optics are (generally) the last place to cheap out. I know from experience lol.

Reactions: steve123
I still shoot long distance with my 40 year old Tasco world class!
I still have 2 Tasco 3x9 scopes made in Japan that are 40+ years old. Over the years I've had them on 556 AR's and on a Ruger 45/70. I never had a problem of any kind with either them. They've been retired at least 20 years now. But it doesn't surprise me they always worked since they were made in Japan.

I still have 2 Tasco 3x9 scopes made in Japan that are 40+ years old. Over the years I've had them on 556 AR's and on a Ruger 45/70. I never had a problem of any kind with either them. They've been retired at least 20 years now. But it doesn't surprise me they always worked since they were made in Japan.

I have a 20 year old world class 4-12 that's marked made in Japan. That thing kicks ass on optical quality for $125 scope.
Just need to give it a tappy-tap-tap every time you turn the adjustments and give it 3-5 shots to settle before you trust how much it moved.

Works great on an old Marlin 92 .22 with the 10 yard parallax. Would be pointless for anything past 200 yards.

Great news, I got my money back from Big5!

Thinking I'll spend money I don't have right now and order the below prism scope for my 350 Legend upper. I'll mostly be shooting offhand at larger steel from 50Y to 300Y.
I saw these at the ShotShow and really liked it, plus the dot in RD's aren't round looking to my vision anymore, pretty much appears like this "&" to me.

Thinking I'll spend money I don't have right now and order the below prism scope for my 350 Legend upper. I'll mostly be shooting offhand at larger steel from 50Y to 300Y.
I saw these at the ShotShow and really liked it, plus the dot in RD's aren't round looking to my vision anymore, pretty much appears like this "&" to me.

I have a vintage Tasco that I’ll let go for couple grand. Comes with the tap hammer to settle down the reticle too.

The "round" dot looks more like a smashed asterisk than a dot.

However, I did get to look through a Vortex Sparc with a green dot and it was clearly a perfect green dot.
The fella wouldn't sell it to me though... ☹

The "round" dot looks more like a smashed asterisk than a dot.

However, I did get to look through a Vortex Sparc with a green dot and it was clearly a perfect green dot.
The fella wouldn't sell it to me though... ☹

A friend has a Spark, it still looks like a an & to me. It must that eyes see differently??

I was looking through most of the RD's in the Trijicon booth at ShotShow. One RD in particular had a dot which was round and looked like they used to when I was younger. I asked the rep why that was and he couldn't give me an explanation of why??? Didn't matter I guess because it was expensive.

Optics are (generally) the last place to cheap out. I know from experience lol.

I would tend to agree with that statement as a rule, but, as all rules do, there are exceptions. I have several AR15s, most with RD sights that are passable. None of them are going to punch out the X at 200 yards but, they'll put a man down at well past that. Then, for some reason, I decided I wanted to try some form of tactical scope. Found a UTG scope, the 3-9x32 BugBuster for under 90 dollars on amazon. came with it's own quick detach mount. Since Santa was coming I put it on my list and, lo and behold, Santa was good to me. Popped the scope onto an AR took it to the range. After bore sighting and a couple of sight in rounds at 50 we shifted to the 100/200 yd range. It took two shots to put the first round on the X. 5 more in the X at 100 and then over to the 200 where, with the predictable adjustment, I was able to pretty much punch out the red center of the target.

Took the weapon home, did a thorough clean and put it back in it's' case. A month later (This last weekend) went back out to the range and, at 200 yards, punched the X on my first 5 shots. That kind of performance from an under $100 scope is beyond anything I was hoping for. I would have been happy with less than a 5 inch group. Right now, at 200 yards, I'm getting 1-2 moa groups using Federal Premium rounds that I buy bulk.

Be well, y'all
Wolf

Buying cheap stuff is expensive. Actually, I'm hard put to understand why anyone would spend hundreds on a firearm and then put a $50 optic on it.

How terrible are those Springfield armory scopes? I just bought a bdc one lol to put on a ar upper I had laying around.

Buying cheap stuff is expensive. Actually, I'm hard put to understand why anyone would spend hundreds on a firearm and then put a $50 optic on it.
I have SEVERAL scoped rifles.
One has a Bushnell Banner two have a Simpson, a few have Vortex, one has an Athlon.
All scopes don't add up to the dollars of one good scope.

Why do you guys always talk about one rifle?

Yep.....Tangent Theta TT315H.....good luck on him dropping that coin though.

That's what I need.
One do everything rifle with a do everything scope (and maybe a spare) :)
One Banner everyone was selling for about $100, on sale with my 'Birthday Discount' @ Midway for $70, and since it shipped free ended up taking $10 off my whole order. Net $60.

The $100 Simpson was on sale for $70, and the $35 rebate took a month to come in. Net $35.

They still work, but I take care not to abuse them.

The most expensive scope I have is an Athlon I got on a price match from Doug.

Last edited:
How terrible are those Springfield armory scopes? I just bought a bdc one lol to put on a ar upper I had laying around.

Mine didn't have very good glass, but from looks alone it was a tank. Back then when I owned it I thought D.O.P.E. was something else entirely, lol. I didn't even know there was a thing called a diopter. MOA, what's that.

Yeh, I've cheaped-out on optics, but I've been lucky with a couple of choices. Got one AR-15 upper, that has a Bushy TRS-25 RD($40) on it and it's been dropped a couple of times and the damn thing still works and holds "0". I only use it for 50-100yd. paper/can shooting. Then I have another AR upper, that has flip-ups and a 1x6 TruGlo "TruBrite" ($115) on it and yes, it's been dropped, banged and scuffed and it still holds "0", I use that one for steel at 100-300yds. I've had them both for 6 or 7 years and feel I've got my money's worth out of them. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.
:unsure:Mac

Reactions: deersniper

Certainly can be but...
There's a thread going on right now over at Airgun Nation concerning compressors. One guys argument is to buy the $3000 dive compressor. The other guys point is I can buy many Yong Heng compressors for that amount and I bought one 2 years ago which has worked well and there are a surplus of super cheap parts to fix it with if I need too. Others bought 2 Yong Hengs in case one breaks, etc. Many different points of view....

The T-Farce scopes I bought at Big5 were kinda meant to be a temporary fix, of course I hoped they'd at least function, but that wasn't even the case.

I paid $237 TMD for that 350L upper, it's just for plinking, so I don't need a great scope. Sure I'd love to get that new Vortex 1-10 but....

Have a Burris XTR2 1-8 on my sub moa match AR shorty upper which suits it.

Have a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 on my 6mmFatRat which suits it.

Even have some S&B's which were the hot thing when I bought them but I could afford them back then.

We'd all prefer top of the line everything but we all aren't Lance or Dthomas.... No offence BTW.

I betcha there is a large percentage of guys on this site that think 300Y is "long range"! Lot's of short range hunters, plinkers, or folks that just flat out don't want or need more than coin slot turret 3-9's with duplex reticles, etc.
Or like me, have regular stock rifles that they don't want to put expensive scopes on, just one that works well for the application.