• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I could use a few ideas (Youth Shoot)

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
Every summer me and a friend of mine put a shoot together for a bunch of the youth in the area (13-17). We do all sorts of stuff. Skeet shoot, .22 stuff, a walk through the woods with targets set at various locations, some long range stuff with my .308. Well this year we want a few more ideas that would be fun and a little challenging. I know most of us on here are long range shooters, most of these kids aren't and our max range is only about 400 yards where we'll be.

I was thinking of something similar to Top Shot having them run to different stages using different weapons at each one. But I could use a few ideas for that as well. We have several pistols, rifles, shotguns, ARs etc..

So if you can give a few ideas that would be great! And don't worry everything is supervised and closely monitored. This will be year 5 and do far no accidents .:)

Thanks in advance!

I've setup and competed in a few father/son's .22 matches before.

"Golden T" - Place a golf ball on a golf "t" at 10 yards. You got 5 rounds to "drive" the ball as far as you could. Each shot would get progressively harder due to increased distance per hit. Each team (father/son) would get 2 balls and 10 rounds. Add the distance driven for each father/son team, furthest combined "drive" won the stage. Shooters all required to shoot over barricade. *This is the funnest stage I've ever shot.

"Empty the Jug" - Place milk jugs (full of water) at the 50yd line on saw horse type benches. Each father/son team would get 2 full jugs and 20 rounds. Whoever had the least amount of water remaining after each 10 round sub-stage won the stage. Shooters all required to shoot kneeling.

"Quigley Over-Easy" - Hot glue an egg to a fishing line, hang the egg off a target frame at 250yds. Each team would get 20 rounds (10 per shooter) to attempt. The team with the most rounds remaining won the stage. This stage is our final stage and is extremely challenging. Shooters allowed to shoot in their preferred position with most (if not all) shooting prone supported. Our matches had mostly fathers shooting first with a few 3rd round hits. In the future we will be having the sons firing first on this stage to even the playing fields a little and allow the kids to compete a little more.

We also have various paper target stages on the 25 and 50yd lines in various shooting positions but kids usually like shooting objects versus paper. Hit up some thrift store or yard sales and buy a bunch of happy meal toys or plastic dinner ware.

Little plastic army-guys at 75 yds, shot with a scoped .22 with a time limit and round limit. The most hits, with the least shots, in the least time wins the round. A plywood "menagerie" with bushes/obstacles fixed/glued to it, with repetitive target placement positions would make it equally challenging for each shooter on both locating AND taking out each target.

With the little plastic army-dudes, any hit is/could be classed as a 'hit' and the target can quickly be counted AND reset in just a few moments by replacing each dude with a construction stapler.

Just a thought.

Forgot to add, that while many practice on moving targets,,, how about the shooter sitting in a wagon or something, and utilize the idea of a 'moving shooter' with a shotgun at static clay pigeons or something, at 20ish yards. A simple framed barricade in/on the wagon would prevent accidental muzzle sweeps simply be removing the possibility of the barrel to extend too far forward/up/down/back. While at the same time, giving the full window of possibilities downrange.

Last edited:
Paintballs glued to some fishing line. Can be fun and reactive.

Perhaps put a piece of paper behind 2-3 different colored paint balls and award points for most colors on the paper.
Just an idea.

What date is the shoot? If I'm in town would love to come down and help out, if needed. Or donate something to help out to the cause. It's good to see kids learning to respect firearms while having fun.

Let me know.

Cool ideas so far.

When I take a group out to shoot skeet, after we're done we take the hulls and set 5 or 6 at each range of 10 to 50 yards, some in brush, some not.

line up the guys with 22s and start from one side of the line.

shooter calls shot.

If hit, shooter calls next shot.

If miss, next shooter has to make the shot called by former shooter.

If hit, call, else next shooter has to do it.

Winner is the one who hit the most hulls.

It gets fun when the only remaining hulls are hard to hit.

do this one standing and preferably with just iron sights.