• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I could use some advice on a semi 6.5cm

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
I'm looking for a semi auto 6.5 creedmoor that I can take to matches, but isn't so dedicated to matches that I won't take it hunting because it weighs 16#'s. I enjoy shooting Guardian matches, and in January will do my second Mammoth. I like accurate rifles and shooting matches more for fun than trying to be the most serious competitor there. I'm stuck on 6.5 creedmoor because I like the versatility of also taking deer with the same rifle.

I'll admit I'm not too well versed on the semi auto precision rifle world. My goals for this rifle would be completely reliable, and accurate to 1/2" to 3/4" at the most with handloads. I've been looking at Aero Precision, Daniel Defense DD5, JP, and GA Precision. I just don't have enough experience in this realm to know where to focus.

If any of you have some wisdom gained from experience I'd appreciate it.

I went with a Seekins 16” 6.5 Creed. The Seekins stuff is top notch and it’s a perfectly balanced rifle. Could shoot it at a match or throw it on your back for a hunt.

Attachments

• B3E2E73C-6EBD-4824-9FB3-6BC73DF7B72D.jpeg
    B3E2E73C-6EBD-4824-9FB3-6BC73DF7B72D.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 141
Depends what you want to spend and what you want it to be. The full Aero/BA builds are legit in 6.5 cm. There are many pitfalls when building a 6.5 from scratch.

I'm happy with my Robinson XCR-M. 20 IN. heavy barrel.

Attachments

• 20211114_171118.jpg
    20211114_171118.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211114_122904.jpg
    20211114_122904.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: cake5150
If going the Seekins SP10, confirm it has the +2 gas system. While the rifle isn't new to the market, the +2 is.

Other than that, you are looking at spending at least another $1k to get something better like the JP or Gap.

like everyone else, really cant go wrong with LMT, Seekins, JP or Gap.

Kac is another great option, but I am not sure if those are actually available, there are a few out there but just like a lot of stuff with KAC, it could be a while to you track one down.

I have an MWS with 6.5 Barrel and it shoots lights out. You can now get Proof and other high end barrels converted to run in the MWS which makes it nice, because because you can run an accuracy barrel to do match things, and 30 seconds later, drop a lighter weight barrel into it to do field stuff.

You guys have got me drooling on some options. I'd never heard of the seekings SP10, but I really liked their video on their warranty. I'm still researching though.

Could go with an Aero m5e1 upper, ssgt arms handguard, Proof barrel and JP bolt and BCG. The set up the lower with your choice and trigger and furniture.

Seekins or GAP. They shoot. IIRC GAP uses a Seekins upper for his builds. I have a GEN 1 GAP and its a hammer.

I have a couple of large frame AR's, one in 6.5 and one in .308. For matches, they just don't rival my bolt guns for accuracy, and are similar to other AR's I see in the matches I shoot...unreliable in comparison. I don't know why, but it just seems like when something goes wrong with them it is a big shit show. I have been squadded with quite a few dudes that shoot them with similar results. That being said, I have had a few practice sessions and night hog hunts where I was basically shooting at high rates of fire for short periods of time and had zero issues. For me, maybe it is a mental thing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that semi-auto's seem to be much less forgiving to shoot and are pretty finnicky if you are shooting from an odd position or set-up. A heavier set-up seems to help with this. Don't get me wrong, LOVE my gassers. But for hunting and shooting matches...they would not be my top choice for the tool for those particular applications.

If you are dead set on a semi auto rig I would echo the above. For the folks I know who shoot them it seems like JP, Seekins, and LMT top the list for the most common I see in use.

What you're looking for is completely doable, if it was me I would start off with the Seekins SP10 builders kit and pick up a 20" Proof CF Barrel.

The 6.5 SP10 is a fine rifle and even better now that they've worked out the gas system issues but it is on the heavy side I believe right at 11lbs.

Accuracy, reliability, and ease of portability is a fine line to walk, the Seekins 10x adjustable stock is also a good LW choice.

The Leupold MK5 3-18 is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for a quality light weight Optic. Normally I would recommend LW operating parts but if you're planning on using for competition full Mass operating parts are going to be better for reliability sake, everything else is personal preference.

If going the Seekins SP10, confirm it has the +2 gas system. While the rifle isn't new to the market, the +2 is.

Other than that, you are looking at spending at least another $1k to get something better like the JP or Gap.
ECAE6887-6AA0-4333-B95C-0968C5EEC584.jpeg

Definitely has the lengthened gas system. Mine was the first one to leave the shop in the new configuration. You can see my gas block now extending out from under the handguard

Reactions: 346ci
So, I'm definitely liking the SP10 options I'm seeing and I've always wanted an excuse to buy an LMT. Couple questions about those now. I see the SP10 comes with their fixed stock, and I'd prefer to get something setup that has an adjustable stock that locks into position because some times I'll shoot from the bench or prone or off a barricade and I'd like to adjust that stock length if possible.

Another thing I'm thinking about is that further down the line I may want to swap out for a 308 upper just to try something different. I've never done barrel swaps and always opted to just swap entire uppers when doing something like that.

With wanting an adjustable stock and being able to add 308 down the line sway you guys more one way or the other between the SP10 or LMT?

"If going the Seekins SP10, confirm it has the +2 gas system."

I will definitely go this route because I'll probably put my SDN-6 on whatever rifle I end up buying.

So, I'm definitely liking the SP10 options I'm seeing and I've always wanted an excuse to buy an LMT. Couple questions about those now. I see the SP10 comes with their fixed stock, and I'd prefer to get something setup that has an adjustable stock that locks into position because some times I'll shoot from the bench or prone or off a barricade and I'd like to adjust that stock length if possible.

Another thing I'm thinking about is that further down the line I may want to swap out for a 308 upper just to try something different. I've never done barrel swaps and always opted to just swap entire uppers when doing something like that.

With wanting an adjustable stock and being able to add 308 down the line sway you guys more one way or the other between the SP10 or LMT?
If you want easy caliber changes then Lmt is the way. Literally remove one screw and loosen another and the barrel slides out. LMT is hard to come by the last 2 years though

Reactions: teddy12b

I put an LMT dmr stock on my SP10. Their dmr stock is awesome. Additionally it fits a standard carbine tube and can be removed and replaced like any other stock. Very cool.
You can build a Seekins 308 upper

Reactions: teddy12b