• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I could use some help choosing dies

WillEver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2023
Fort Worth, TX
I'm putting together my first centerfire rifle and I'm stuck choosing dies. I've reloaded pistol on a Dillon 550 and 1100 for years. But I'm starting at zero when it comes to rifle gear.

I've got an Origin action and Bravo stock, and ordered barrels in .223 and 6 Dasher. I'm getting together everything I need, including a Rockchucker, and I've spent hours reading about dies, but I'm still lost. I'm sinking into paralysis by analysis here.

It sounds like I need a full length sizing die, with a bushing for the neck? A seating die, and some kind of button or mandrel to size the inside of the neck? But there are 6 or 8 different companies making dies, and they all seem to make 8 different sets of each caliber.

Someone just tell me what to buy...

Either go with honed Forster full length die sizing die or SAC modular die.

With the Forster die you will need to expand in a second operation and I use 21st century die body with nitride turning arbors.

The SAC sizing die I run their carbide decap/expander mandrel. This option does everything one shot. It’s also highly customizable in bushing and expander sizing.

For seating dies I have both Redding and Forster micrometer but I prefer the Forster.

Thanks for the suggestions. The SAC looks really nice, but it's a little more than I want to spend.

I'll look at the Forster sizing dies. Sounds like something I would order to a specific neck size instead of using bushings?

Redding type S full length sizing die and competition seating die set. If you get the correct sized bushing you don't need to mandrel size the neck unless you wanna shoot benchrest. I shoot prs and I have no issues doing it this way

If you want to keep it simple you can buy Forster two die sets with FL sizing die(non-bushing) and what they call their "benchrest " seater die . This will get you started with quality dies . You can always get their bushing dies and Micrometer seater if you want to upgrade in the future .

Forster micrometer seating die
Cortina mandrel die and 21st Century mandrels
Whidden full length bushing sizing die with Wilson bushings

Could also get the Whidden set with sizing and seating dies.

Reactions: Dolomite
Try a Whidden bushing FL sizing die. It will size the neck and shoulder less to not over work the brass and size the base smaller to prevent clickers. When it’s on sale you can save some coin. You will need a few neck bushings.

Cortina makes a mandrel die that uses 21st centry mandrels. You’ll need to buy a few mandrels from 21st century.

Forster mic seater die works great!!

Get an annealer too, AGS, Annealeez, bench source or amp if it’s in your budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllenOne1
Few people here got it spot on.

Redding die set. Type S has bushings.

Regular (non bushing die) - you may need to use a mandrel (neck expander) after to set correct tension. This is 100% NOT "required" to load. Expanding helps create consistent neck tension, which has an effect on velocity, and thus ES and SD, and group size.

Bushing dies (usually) remove the requirement for mandrels. They have various insert bushing which set neck tension, which is a good thing. They cost a bit more, and you need a few bushings to dial it in, however there is plenty of guides to find this.

Brownells link Redding type s, part number 36648 will do it for a 6 dasher.

As you progress, find things you want to change, you learn, etc.. you can upgrade. Maybe you want a micrometer seater later.. or maybe you want a seperate deprimer, or maybe you like arbor seating, etc.

Basic 2 die set gets you up and running, and will do it amazingly well on the rock chucker.

For bushings.. maybe try bullet diameter, plus brass thickness, minus 3thou (1.5 per side). Brass is "usually" 14thou, and a 6mm is .243. Sooo, 243+14+14=271thou bushing, then minus 3 thou for tension. Order a .268" bushing, that should get you going well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jpjulian and Haney
Cortina die does not size the base any smaller than any other full length sizing die . It is Not a Small Base/Ring die . Like his site clearly states,works the same as any full length die . . Stop the speculation and bullshit !

READ> "Our expander mandrel dies size the base of the case the same way your Full Length sizing die would. This helps align the case with the mandrel and also helps reduce “clickers” as brass ages."

No shit , sizing the base helps REDUCE clickers . Keen sense for the obvious .

• Haha
Reactions: Dolomite
I like/run the LE Wilson FL bushing dies and the Forster seating dies.

You can buy an expander mandrel die separately later if you choose to go down that road (the necessity of using a mandrel is still arguable, but I think is worth doing if you're after crazy low SD numbers), for those I prefer the Sinclair die body with their TiNi "turning mandrels" (-.002 bullet diameter).

Last edited:
Reactions: AllenOne1
I keep coming back to my Lee dies. I can't seem to out do them. Hopefully I'll still have some respect from you guys after saying that.
I do not shoot benchrest though

Reactions: CK1.0 and Haney
Redding type S full length sizing die and competition seating die set. If you get the correct sized bushing you don't need to mandrel size the neck unless you wanna shoot benchrest. I shoot prs and I have no issues doing it this way
Same thing I do. Once you are using your own fired brass the bushing only delivers really good results without a mandrel

I like the Mighty Armory decapping die for military brass. Harder to bend the pin. AMHIK

I've got a Frankford Arsenal universal seating die and a pair of Forster micrometer dies (.223 and 6.5 manbun) that I haven't used yet

M

Either go with honed Forster full length die sizing die or SAC modular die.

With the Forster die you will need to expand in a second operation and I use 21st century die body with nitride turning arbors.

The SAC sizing die I run their carbide decap/expander mandrel. This option does everything one shot. It’s also highly customizable in bushing and expander sizing.

For seating dies I have both Redding and Forster micrometer but I prefer the Forster.
Does that sac sizing die really work well and does it work equally as well for 6cm as 6.5cm? The shoulder and neck together and all?

I keep coming back to my Lee dies. I can't seem to out do them. Hopefully I'll still have some respect from you guys after saying that.
I do not shoot benchrest though

It doesn't matter what brand they are or what they cost as long as they work and do their job well. Dies aren't the most complicated of tools, one brand isn't usually using way better steel or necessarily machining them any better than the next guy.

For example, IDK if they offer Dasher, but the Hornady Match Grade die sets are great (and not just for the money). They come with a very good FL bushing die with options for using it with or without an expander ball and a good inline floating sleeve micrometer seating die for ~$100.

I've made lots of good ammo with many different brands dies, including tens of thousands of some of the best 9mm ever with a boring old plain Lee sizing die (and still keep a Lee FCD around to fix any rounds that don't pass the case gauge on the first try).

Another vote for Reading dies, type, S and competition seating. That’s what I routinely run for everything up through 338 Lappula, and after that I get into some custom stuff.

On the other hand, if you’re on a budget, any full length die set such as RCBS or even Lee or any other manufacture will work just fine.

The only Whidden dies I have owned had shit machining, and sharp burrs on the threads that caused me to cut my hands every time I screwed them into the press. I returned them in frustration. The only good thing I will say, is, Whidden took them back

Can of worms question. Probably many that replied have more than one brand for a specific cartridge and then tend to settle down with one brand eventually. Some may prefer a certain brand of sizer and another brand of seater because of certain features and then add the complexity of another expander die (guilty as charged).

My reloading die cabinet has probably 40 boxes of dies not counting the single dies I use for specific purposes. If pressed for an answer on rifle cartridges I'll say I prefer Forster FL sizers and their Ultra Seater. I really like the sleeve in Forster seaters and will use them if they make one for a cartridge.