• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I definitely prefer bolt actions over my 10/22.

defcon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
California
25 yard targets using Remington Golden Bullets

Action/barrels are all factory. I don't have any performance mods

Using 3x9-50mm

Zoomed in at 3x

I definitely prefer bolt actions over the 10/22.

Barrett M82 Ruger 10/22
.22LR Barrett M82 Ruger 10/22 FULL w/ targets - YouTube

IMAG0661 by defconskylude, on Flickr

IMAG0660 by defconskylude, on Flickr

M200 Intervention Marlin XT-22
.22LR M200 Cheytac Intervention Marlin XT-22 FULL w/ targets - YouTube

IMAG0658 by defconskylude, on Flickr

IMAG0657 by defconskylude, on Flickr

Remington MSR Savage MKII F
.22LR Remington MSR M2010 Savage MKII F FULL w/ targets - YouTube

IMAG0656 by defconskylude, on Flickr

IMAG0655 by defconskylude, on Flickr

Welcome to the loose tolerances of the 10/22. If any performance mod. At least have the barrel set back and rechambered. I love my bolt guns but enjoy my 10/22 just as much. But tbh the only thing on mine that say's ruger is the receiver.

Maybe the gun just doesn't like Golden Bullet. That said those groups are not great at 25 yards.

Maybe the gun just doesn't like Golden Bullet. That said those groups are not great at 25 yards.

Yep. I'll try some different ammo. I'm joining my first rimfire precision rifle match this Sunday. Looking forward to learn some new things.

I know the groups arent the greatest @ 25 yds. Just my second time shooting for groups. Still practicing.

I'm searching for other targets on here with out of the box groupings.

Yep. I'll try some different ammo. I'm joining my first rimfire precision rifle match this Sunday. Looking forward to learn some new things.

I know the groups arent the greatest @ 25 yds. Just my second time shooting for groups. Still practicing.

I'm searching for other targets on here with out of the box groupings.

It might not just be you. It could be windy, the gun might not like that ammo. I have found that subsonic rounds generally shoot better than supersonic (I think GB is supersonic). I am also very new to 22 LR, so I'm no expert :D.

Welcome to the loose tolerances of the 10/22.

Do yourself a favor and look up Tony Kidd.

At 100-yards my "Squirrel Gun" 10/22 will put 10-shots into a quarter. I had Tony build me a SuperGrade, as he calls it. The only Ruger part on mine is the safety button, The rest of it says KIDD.

It shoots damn near as good an my Anschutz bolt action 22's. They shoot dimes at 100-yards when the wind is zero!

Good ammo and a call to Tony Kidd are the way forward.

Nerd

Dc... I am VERY pleased to see you coming to the light. Anyone can make things go "bang." But it doesn't compared with the satisfaction of actually doing what a rifle is intended for... hitting your target repeatably (or the frustration when you don't!).

A 10/22 can be pretty good shooter. But it takes cash and short cuts won't help. With that said, for repeatability; a bolt is generally the better choice.

Congrats and my hat is off to you.

I actually prefer my inexpensive semi-autos for hunting small game.
Usually doesn't take much to make 'em accurate enough for squirrels and rabbits.
A little epoxy to shim the receiver and a few inches of the barrel to eliminate stock play
and some decent standard velocity ammo. Eliminate the hi-v ammo and you reduce
recoil which makes not only the 10/22, but also the savage 64 and marlin 60 better for off hand shooting.
In the woods, rarely is a shot more than 20 yards needed. In my stomping grounds,
no one is going to be taking 50 yard shots, let alone 100 yards!
coffetime.gif

squirrel-zone.JPG

Bolt guns are for open country and the range, where accuracy at a distance is necessary.
For that type of shooting, no doubt a tuned, tweaked, bedded bolt action rifle with match ammo
is going to give you the results you're looking for. Match the tool to the job. Semi-auto for close work
where a quick follow up shot might be needed and bolt guns where distance is the problem.

hahaha.gif
Besides, ain't there a rule? You can never own enough rimfires....

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and look up Tony Kidd.

At 100-yards my "Squirrel Gun" 10/22 will put 10-shots into a quarter. I had Tony build me a SuperGrade, as he calls it. The only Ruger part on mine is the safety button, The rest of it says KIDD.

It shoots damn near as good an my Anschutz bolt action 22's. They shoot dimes at 100-yards when the wind is zero!

Good ammo and a call to Tony Kidd are the way forward.

Nerd

I would like to second this with a little story. I'm new to the whole rimfire world, but just experienced one of his builds just two weeks ago. A local firearms accessories business owner was shooting next to me with his Kidd built 10-22. It is sitting in a McMillan stock which I had never seen before. It also had a barrel tuner on the barrel. We were both shooting at 50 yards, only his target holder didn't have a paper target on it. Instead he had round head plastic tacks that were about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter stuck all along the card board. Along the top edge of the cardboard he had the hour glass shaped tacks in clear color. He didn't mis one shot.

I was shooting my Remington 40x, which I consider extremely accurate, and he had me trying the same thing on my target the next go round. I missed here and there. To prove his point, he suggested we swap guns for one round. I really tried, and the results were super impressive to me. I only missed twice out of 20 targets, while his results with my 40 x were the same as with me shooting it. It's not a cheap build, but I know I'm already saving for one like his.

Dc... I am VERY pleased to see you coming to the light. Anyone can make things go "bang." But it doesn't compared with the satisfaction of actually doing what a rifle is intended for... hitting your target repeatably (or the frustration when you don't!).

A 10/22 can be pretty good shooter. But it takes cash and short cuts won't help. With that said, for repeatability; a bolt is generally the better choice.

Congrats and my hat is off to you.

thanks man.

yea i did see the light and im joining as many rimfire matches as i can to improve.

My factory 10/22 Target shoots one ragged hole at 25 Yards off a bipod. At 200 yards I can ring a 7" steel until the cows come home.

+1 on Tony Kidd. I replaced so many parts that I was able to re-build my factory 10/22. Kidds shoot excellent. Usually a dime at 100 yards with quality ammo. Golden bullets shoot the worst in my 10/22s. Worst bullets IMHO

I wanted to get one of those 10/22 takedown models and my local dealer has the multicam ones, but I just can't justify it because here in Pennsylvania, we are not allowed to hunt with anything semi-auto unless it's a shotgun.

Sucks.

I wanted to get one of those 10/22 takedown models and my local dealer has the multicam ones, but I just can't justify it because here in Pennsylvania, we are not allowed to hunt with anything semi-auto unless it's a shotgun.

Sucks.

i read that the pistols will be considered to be a shotgun ;)

If you are serious about accuracy you will soon bypass Wolf. If you want true accuracy use Eley or Lapua.

If you are serious about accuracy you will soon bypass Wolf. If you want true accuracy use Eley or Lapua.

not necessarily true. Wolf ME shoots awesome in my Remington 513T, better than Eley. Each gun likes different ammo manufacturers and it can even vary by batch numbers within the brand. You have to match your gun to the ammo it prefers.

It all depends on what you consider "awesome". Will it shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds ? Probably not. Problem with WMT is you can't order specific lot #s. You will also get flyers with Wolf BTDT.

It all depends on what you consider "awesome". Will it shoot under 1/2" at 100 yds ? Probably not. Problem with WMT is you can't order specific lot #s. You will also get flyers with Wolf BTDT.

I'm glad you've shot my gun so you know how it shoots. I'll still stand by my original statement.

I noticed you did not answer my question with your reply. Once again what is your definition of "awesome"? You seem to think I am knocking your gun. That is not the case. I have owned two 513T rifles in the past. Mine would not group under 1 1/4" at 100 yds with Eley. The trigger is terrible on those rifles.

I haven't shot it for groups at 100. Iron sights and my contact wearing eyeballs aren't really compatible for that distance for target shooting. It does group much better at 50 yards with Wolf Match Extra than eley. That is my point, each gun will shoot different with different ammo. Blanket statement that Wolf won't be as accurate as other match ammo is not always necessarily true. As I stated originally.

Cool I'll look into those.

I remember seeing a box of Lapua were $16?

That depends on which grade of Lapua ammo you want to buy and how much you are buying to achieve a price break. Champions Choice was gave me the best deal.

I just had my rifle tested at the Lapua facility. Very interesting seeing how different lot#'s of all the higher grade ammo shot in my gun! One lot of Polar Bialthon was the obvious winner at both 50M and 100M, even shot better than the best lot of Xact.

About 3 years ago a bud and I bought all kinds of different brands of medium quality ammo (approx $5 a box back then) to test for accuracy in our match 10-22's. Plainly put, none of the other brands came close to Wolf in both our rifles. It was the first time in my life I put 5 shots in a ragged hole at 50Y, quite a revelation back then. We split a case and paid $4.50 a box. Dang, those days are over.

But yes, both WMT and WME give flyers here and there and poor vertical at distance sometimes.

Steve, I have heard that Polar shoots better than Midas or Center -X. I quit using WMT about 2 years ago when it cost me a match. I was rocking along at 200 yds with pretty much center hits on the steel targets when one round went BANG instead of pop. The bullet went 6" over the top of the target. My spotter asked was that a HV round that you shot by mistake?

Yeah try as many diff brands of ammo as you can. I also prefer the bolt 22s over my 10/22s especially using a suppressor.
Shooting turtles is my favorite pastime...maybe with a good cigar thrown in there.
relentless.