• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
Ok I’m not a pistol guy, lethal at very long distances with a rifle but up til a handful of years ago I used to tell folks I couldn’t shoot my way out of wet paper bag with a pistol. I have a very nice 70’s series .45 ACP rebuilt with a bunch of Wilson combat pats. Minus the slide and frame, it’s all Wilson. I have taken a couple pistol courses since and shoot pretty darn good now. This is also my carry weapon.

I’ve always given the gun a simple cleaning by removing the slide and barrel after a trip to the range. I’ve never given the weapon a thorough cleaning by breaking it totally down. To be honest I was afraid once a part I’d have left over parts when I put it back together! I decided the other day to break it completely down to and see what was under the hood…so to speak.

The break down was pretty simple with exception of the mag release and firing pin. Thank goodness for YouTube know how video’s. Once apart every component got a thorough cleaning and degreasing. I recently heard alot of good press on a cleaning /lubricant called FireClean, so I thought my .45 would be a perfect choice to try it out! As it stated it really loosened up and removed carbon. Once all the parts were cleaned and degreased I applied a generous application of FireClean and let the parts sit overnight. In the morning I wiped off the excess oil from the components and sat in front of my computer watching a video on to reassemble. Twenty some odd minutes later the pistol was back together and with no extra parts!

Now I know something like this is old hat to most of you, but to me it was an adventure and to be honest was fairly easy and very educational. My goal is to break it down for a thorough cleaning yearly. And yes, I bookmarked the how to video’s!

Congrats! It is a lot of fun to be able to dis-assemble and re-assemble guns correctly.

Glad the FireClean worked well. I have several how-to videos from AGI, and the instructor, Bob Dunlap uses Simple Green and warm water for all his cleaning, even deep-cleaning, and BreakFree for the Lube. They are, he says, the cheapest and best products he has found in over 30 years of gun-smithing. Simple Green is readily available at Home Depot and Walmart, and has the added benefit of being biodegradable as well as a very powerful cleaner/degreaser that works well on all gun-related grime, and is easy on the hands---no gloves required. Just thought I'd pass that on.

It's good to learn to break it down and do deep maintenance. As a carry piece, though, it really isn't "yours" until you brain-fart one day and give it an idiot mark. :D

Just sayin' ...

I've used the Youtube videos a LOT and without them I'd have left over parts sometimes I'm sure. I may take the plunge on one of my 1911s and do as you did. I'm certain that 1 of 'em has never been deep cleaned. I'd like to try Fire Clean too

+1 for the AGI video series. After viewing I felt comfortable enough to put in a 10-8 trigger and swap out a full length guide rod for a GI with EGW parts. Not rocket science I know, but it still felt good!

What's up Jeff???

Great job on your 1911, My STI Tactical 5.0 is a bitch to just field strip.

I like the idea of Simple Green. In the "old" days we had an old metal ammo can filled with Varsol (some type of dry cleaning solvent) let the parts soak overnight. it would strip the crap out of every think, blow it dry and re-lube

I just did the same thing with my glock. It's an adventure disassembling/reassembling your piece without guidance. Glad everything came out ok!

U-Tube can be a godsend.
This brings back an old memory (mid '70's) when I was apprenticing for my Heavy Duty ticket.
We'd finished a rebuild of a Cat scraper engine...and on the bench were 3 bolts that for the life of us couldn't figure out where they went.
The mechanic said to fire it up anyway...it ran fine and we sent it on it's way, and never received a complaint.
To this day I wonder just where the heck those bolts were from.