• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I didn't know it was loaded.

Ankeny

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
We have all heard the bullshit excuse, "I didn't know it was loaded..." I don't know why I am posting this here, but I am so fucking mad at myself right now. Let me vent, fuck, fuck, fucking fuckwit... I just picked up my fucking night stand/home defense pistol that I haven't shot in way too long and what the fuck? Damn I am pissed off at myself. There wasn't a round in the chamber.

Reactions: wyat45 and Maggot
So why the fuck havent you given your "self defense" pistol in such a long time if you use it for defending your life.

I cant go to ranges anymore for the time being due to my seizures, however I still clean them all once a fucking week.

Damn the seizures if I ever find myself in a SD scenario........WTF......

Doc

Reactions: woogie_man
I make it a habit to keep a “fresh” round in the chamber.
It’s a good way for me to know there’s one in the tube.

Reactions: Plinker 73
Treat every gun as if it was loaded yes, makes it easier when you keep all your handguns hot all the time. No more questioning which one you had loaded. If I pick up any of my handguns outside of the gun safe they are hot and ready to rock.

hopefully no injuries and nothing damaged too bad. Call it a scary learning experience

Treat every gun as if it was loaded yes, makes it easier when you keep all your handguns hot all the time. No more questioning which one you had loaded. If I pick up any of my handguns outside of the gun safe they are hot and ready to rock.

hopefully no injuries and nothing damaged too bad. Call it a scary learning experience
True, but even the revolvers I keep unloaded in the safe I check EVERYTIME. One of those 'Oh shit' moments is enough.

We have all heard the bullshit excuse, "I didn't know it was loaded..." I don't know why I am posting this here, but I am so fucking mad at myself right now. Let me vent, fuck, fuck, fucking fuckwit... I just picked up my fucking night stand/home defense pistol that I haven't shot in way too long and what the fuck? Damn I am pissed off at myself. There wasn't a round in the chamber.

Well, you know the rule... if you left it unloaded you can never trust it. Gonna have to buy another one that's not jinxed.

Confession - I've had 2 NDs in my life of being around guns. Fortunately noone was injured and no prop damage. Can't be too careful.

Recently I was talking with my sister and the subject turned to daily carry piece. She as more then one so. Anyway the topic of always keeping a round in the camber came up and she said, "I don't keep one in the in the chamber". I went on with the, "When you need it, you need it right now" speech. I said let me see what you have, (that day it was a Sig Sauer P232). I went to check the chamber and naturally dropped the magazine before doing so....

All the rounds were in the magazine backwards. Ala Hecker and Koch UPS45 magazine add style.... I know she knows better. I have no idea how that happened but it did. I checked her spare mags and you guessed it, all backward loaded rounds.

The scariest thing is she and my other sister had recently drove ~3,000 miles on a cross country trip and back and that SIG was what she took for the trip.

Everyone gets in a daily rut and looses that awareness one needs. What ever day those rounds were loaded was one of those days. We have all had them. A good reminder to be present in the moment through out the day.

Not to start a big debate, but a revolver is always loaded and always safe. With the hammer on an empty chamber, you can drop it out of an airplane and it's still won't go bang when it hits the ground. And for those of you who need more than 5 rounds, get yourself one of these:
1615151372808.png

or better yet, one of these:
1615151414881.png

I always keep my carry guns loaded, but before I holster one I do a press check. That is a habit that I have always done and will always do. Just like looking at a gun on a gun store the employee will check it so do I

Reactions: Pbgt
Confession - I've had 2 NDs in my life of being around guns. Fortunately noone was injured and no prop damage. Can't be too careful.
Had one. Would have been two but a minimag was a dud. Live and learn and try not to hurt anyone in the process.

Long before we had kids, I kept a pistol on my nightstand. One morning on the way to work, I needed it. I drew and pulled the trigger right in a guys face. Nothing. His eyes about popped out and he was gone before I racked it. My wife had taken to emptying the chamber and putting it back in my magazine. I bought a little quick vault, so she wouldn’t be bothered by it. That was over 15 yrs ago and I still check condition every time a put one on.

Long before we had kids, I kept a pistol on my nightstand. One morning on the way to work, I needed it. I drew and pulled the trigger right in a guys face. Nothing. His eyes about popped out and he was gone before I racked it. My wife had taken to emptying the chamber and putting it back in my magazine. I bought a little quick vault, so she wouldn’t be bothered by it. That was over 15 yrs ago and I still check condition every time a put one on.
That happens everytime in every dream I have when I shoot. It's like the dead arms punch in dreams.

I had a friend that had a high end trigger job done on one of his 1911's
Handed me the gun and said try that trigger (all proud and smiling)

[I have to add here that this was common, he owned a dozen or more 1911s and had crazy nice trigger jobs done on all of them, this was just the newest]

Me being me, even though I know my friend is a 'gun guy' and has been his whole life, I check the chamber the second he hands me the gun AND IT'S FUCKING LOADED

I lost my shit on him, handing me a loaded gun to test the trigger

You can't trust anyone, not even yourself, always check, and check twice.

At any point in time I have at least a half dozen loaded guns in the house. Some are in a particular safe (my "hot" safe), and some are stored in strategic locations.

On more than one occasion I've picked up what I thought was an empty gun...and it wasn't.

This is why I check every damn one that I pick up. Doesn't matter if I put it down myself yesterday. Before I get a finger near the trigger, I'm checking it.

I've also been handed loaded guns that weren't supposed to be loaded by friends/family.

My next biggest rule is I'll never dry fire a gun without physically relocating the ammo/magazines to another room. Not that you have to, but it is a mental check for me to remove the chance of a ND. We do have a family friend who shot his TV dry firing at it 😆.

Reactions: Maggot and TACC
lesson learned but better than the opposite.

Well did you load it?

BTW is there some serious reading comprehension issues in this thread or is it just me?

Yes there is. Had to re read the OP.

He fucked up and left the gun UNLOADED.
Didnt have a ND.

I carry every single day, every single place, all the time... I still press check every single morning before it goes into my holster. I also check every single gun that my hand touches, without exception. It's habit to do both, and it's a habit my boys are learning too.

That said, either situation can happen to anyone. It's always a good reminder to re-enforce those habits.

Apparently reading comprehension is dead....... OP, I hope you rectified the situation. I just checked all of mine and verified that they are ready to rock...

Reactions: Aftermath
Yea I get it if a gun is loaded I wanna know it is if it isn't i also want to know. I always check even if I think I know. One time I absolutely would have bet everything my ruger mk II was empty, checked and there was one in the chamber how I don't know but it scared me and I always remember that incident.

I think everyone understands that the OP had an empty chamber, but is commenting on "Checking the chamber" , in all situations. You don't want to carry with an empty chamber and you don't want to handle a gun with a loaded chamber. Both situations require "checking the chamber"

So why the fuck havent you given your "self defense" pistol in such a long time if you use it for defending your life.

I cant go to ranges anymore for the time being due to my seizures, however I still clean them all once a fucking week.

Damn the seizures if I ever find myself in a SD scenario........WTF......

Doc

I saw your comment as far more pertinent than the OP's.....Have you ever tried CBD? I'm no medical expert. But, it's been known to help many people, including children, in prevention from seizures occurring. Thought it might be worth mentioning!

Did that the other week when going out to dinner, didn't follow my usual procedure so when going back to our car after dinner I put the gun in my car safe and realized I never racked one like I usual do. Fucking dead man walking if something happened and I pulled it and it went click.

Reactions: TACC
I saw your comment as far more pertinent than the OP's.....Have you ever tried CBD? I'm no medical expert. But, it's been known to help many people, including children, in prevention from seizures occurring. Thought it might be worth mentioning!
Not allowed due to the army. It may be an option once I'm out after my med board.

Doc

Reactions: Maggot and ColinW
I bought my first 1911 many years ago. I took it to the range and put it through it's paces. It passed with flying colors.

I brought it home and detail stripped it for a thorough cleaning with the help of instructions in a magazine article. I lubed it up, put it together for my new EDC. Several weeks later I was cleaning the bench. I picked up the magazine and one of the parts of the blowup schematic slid across the page. It was the grip safety disconnect. I had been carrying an expensive club.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Maggot and Bender
Not allowed due to the army. It may be an option once I'm out after my med board.

Doc

Yeah, the damn military has a very keen way of keeping shit thats proven to work out of the hands of it's personnel. Best of luck w/ your MEB Doc!! I hope you get the results you desire. A lawyer is your friend. I'm going through my second one. Apparently, the 1st one wasn't enough for them to retire me. :cautious:

My rule is that nothing in the safe has a round in the chamber, and nothing outside the safe doesn't have one in the pipe.

I teach my kids that whenever they touch a firearm they check the breach even if they see me check it and clear it right in front of them.

If you handle enough guns long enough it's when not if. The most unsafe handling I've been around was all done by professionals who lived with guns in their hands. Don't beat yourself up about it. There are far worse mistakes to make.

At any point in time I have at least a half dozen loaded guns in the house. Some are in a particular safe (my "hot" safe), and some are stored in strategic locations.

On more than one occasion I've picked up what I thought was an empty gun...and it wasn't.

This is why I check every damn one that I pick up. Doesn't matter if I put it down myself yesterday. Before I get a finger near the trigger, I'm checking it.

I've also been handed loaded guns that weren't supposed to be loaded by friends/family.

My next biggest rule is I'll never dry fire a gun without physically relocating the ammo/magazines to another room. Not that you have to, but it is a mental check for me to remove the chance of a ND. We do have a family friend who shot his TV dry firing at it 😆.
He did himself a favor. I shot my TV on purpose (not in the house) years ago and never replaced it. My stress level went down about 25% immediately.

My rule is that nothing in the safe has a round in the chamber, and nothing outside the safe doesn't have one in the pipe.

I teach my kids that whenever they touch a firearm they check the breach even if they see me check it and clear it right in front of them.

If you handle enough guns long enough it's when not if. The most unsafe handling I've been around was all done by professionals who lived with guns in their hands. Don't beat yourself up about it. There are far worse mistakes to make.
"I teach my kids that whenever they touch a firearm they check the breach even if they see me check it and clear it right in front of them."

Recently Ive had a lot of folks ask me to take them to the range to learn about shooting. Thats the first thing I drill into them. ALWAYS check even if you just watched me do it.

However a firearm is stored, transported or carried, ‘know the condition of your weapon’.

Chambered round or empty chamber. Mag or no mag, etc.

The ‘treat every weapon like it’s loaded’ mantra leads some to stop paying attention, because it’s so dumbed down.