• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I don't like the red chevron ACOG

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
So I have an ACOG with the crosshair reticle (and elevation marks) and another with the red chevron, elevation marks and windage hash marks. I just don't like the red chevron, having spent more than 3 decades using crosshair style reticles.

However, repeatedly I have found that I shoot the red chevron reticle extremely accurately. Just today I was getting under 1 1/2" groups at 200 yds with the red chevron.

So probably my opinion and personal preferences are irrelevant.

CH which I like:

ACFFFEC.jpg

Red chevron reticle, which I do not like so much but which I shoot really well.

ACF66.jpg

Re: I don't like the red chevron ACOG

An idea,

Get some Duct tape and cover up the fiber optic on top. By doing this you will lower the brightness of the reticle.

I have done this for people that did not like the ACOG's reticles. For some it helped, for others it did not.

But its a very cheap option to try.

John

An adaptation that John was speaking of is to take rubber tubing... like something you'd find in a bike intertube that would be more of a permanent solution. I have done this to mine.

cimg2697b.jpg

When it's not light enough... peel it back. When it's too bright... peel it down forward.

DONUT OF DEATH!!!!!

TA11_RedDonut-web.jpg

If you want a scope for punching holes in paper that are close together, there are better/cheaper options than an ACOG but if you want the best all-round practical optic for a GPR (General Purpose Rifle) the ACOG is the only way to go.

I had a ACOG with the chevron and I hated it, but I didn't know how to use it back then, now that I understand shooting a little better I think I may buy another one for a 20 inch upper I plan on building.

My eye is just not pulled to the chevron. I have and like very much the horseshoe. If I were looking for greater precision then I would opt for the cross hair.

Love the Chevron....

Large enough for fast acquisition and does not cover your aiming point like a standard dot or cross hair.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I like both of your reticles. 1 like the NSN? and one like the RCOM4.

I have never used one but the chevron seems to be good for a 6 o'clock hold. How defined is the chevron? Is the tip sharp and clear?

Jim

I love the chevron. Accurate enough, and works well for rapid aquisition. It's on a 16" carbine afterall, and I can still ding my 1/2 scale steel IPSC at 400 yards with no trouble. I've gotten to where I can run it about as fast as I can with an Eotech at close range.
If all of my shooting was for small groups, I'd probably want the crosshair... then again, I'd want a little more magnification, and then I'd want turrets... then I'm back to a full sized scope, and I'd sacrifice speed.
CW

Enkry, very cool, and I've just been using black electric tape...no sarcasm intended.

I also think the Chevron is a great compromise between quick sight acquisition and accuracy. Except my preference is green over red, at least for me it is easier and quicker to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also think the Chevron is a great compromise between quick sight acquisition and accuracy. </div></div>

+1 I think it gives you the best of both worlds---short and long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think ScopeFlys are cool. I first learned of them from Edwin907.
scopefly1_s.jpg

ta31_1.jpg

scopefly2_s.jpg
</div></div>

Very cool solution!