• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I dont think its for me...

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
So I have had a M14 for about two weeks now, and I gotta say, I am not sure if I like it or not.

It shoot well enough, but I just dont really like it, I would pin it up there with my .22, ok to fool around with every now and then, but it stays in the safe most of the time.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I not in the right...I mean it sounds crazy, not liking a gun..I know, but its just got nothing on my 700, I don't know what to do.

I was hoping to hear what you guys have to say.

Re: I dont think its for me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have had a M14 for about two weeks now, and I gotta say, I am not sure if I like it or not.

It shoot well enough, but I just dont really like it, I would pin it up there with my .22, ok to fool around with every now and then, but it stays in the safe most of the time.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I not in the right...I mean it sounds crazy, not liking a gun..I know, but its just got nothing on my 700, I don't know what to do.

I was hoping to hear what you guys have to say. </div></div>While all of us have likes and dislikes when it comes to weapons, I would say stick with it a while. Fire it some more and get use to the weapon before you pass final judgment. If you decide in finality that you do not want it anymore just give it to me
grin.gif
(just sell it and then just try your next weapon (use a friend's) before you buy it).

im sure if 2nd you dont like it 2nd you wont have any trouble getting people interested 2nd in buying it from you at a decent price...

I'm with Doc1911 on this....give it a little time and get used to it/learn it.

Possibly it's an expectation gap? Had you shot one before you bought it? If it's a lot different to others of the same type that you have shot, maybe it is the specific rifle has a problem?

I have a couple of older bolt action rifles (a Mauser 98k and an SMLE). I know that they cannot live with my other rifles on accuracy (AW and GAP, both in .308) but then I don't expect them to.

They are different animals from a different time and offer a different shooting experience. I enjoy them for what they are.

I'd also offer to take it off your hands...but sadly we can't own them over here!
smile.gif

I had a M1A for years and shot high power with it. I liked it enough but in the end I sold it when the 308 AR's came out. M1A is a nice weapon and I think you can learn to like and appreciate it but you have to go with what you want to shot. If it just sits in the safe and collects dust then I would sell it and move on. IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have had a M14 for about two weeks now, and I gotta say, I am not sure if I like it or not.</div></div>

Is this your first experience with the M14?

What configuration do you have and what is it that you don't like exactly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have had a M14 for about two weeks now, and I gotta say, I am not sure if I like it or not.</div></div>

Is this your first experience with the M14?

What configuration do you have and what is it that you don't like exactly?

</div></div>

This is a good question, I have considered one...maybe this will help in the decision as to what config.

You could sell it and get an AR 10.

it happens..i have been shooting AR's for over 10 years now, and i cant stand them...i hate everything about it except for the rapid follow up's....

bench

I had a nice AR-10 SPR and a carbine upper to go with it.
It was nice and shot pretty well, but it lacked a soul...

I sold it to fund another M14 build... no regrets
cool.gif

I go through a love/hate thing with M1A's... I fall in love with the idea of an M1A, get one, keep it for a while and trade/sell it off. After a couple of years I repeat the process. You'd think I'd learn..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -DK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd think I'd learn.. </div></div>

Get yourself a Bush or Scout next time and keep it!

I think its an extremely over-rated gun and if you do not have an emotional attachment to the idea of owning an M14, then get rid of it. A stock non-bedded M14 without a chassis is usually only good for around 2.5 - 4 MOA. While maybe 5 years ago this was no problem because you could buy a big 1k can of 3 MOA surplus ammo for $100, nowadays its just not really worth wasting money on .308 "blasting ammo".

In addition an M14 is a good way to sink money in an effort to chase something that does not come naturally to the system: accuracy. After dropping another K on it, you might get it to shoot under 1 MOA. But one day when your bedding wears out or your mount loosens, it will suddenly go back to 3-4 MOA.

If you don't like the gun, cut your losses now and sell it to get something that you do like. You do not want to spend more money on it trying to "like" it more.

I was posative that I would love to shoot M1 Garands and M1 carbines.... I dropped the dime on some minty collectors pieces.... Kept them in the safe for a bit... Shot them a bit... Then realized they weren't all that much fun. I sold them, for a 700
smile.gif

Lee.

I know how you feel. I bought a DPMS in 308. After shooting it a few times it just wasen't what I wanted. ended up trading it on a Armalite super sass. That rifle is more to my likeing!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But one day when your bedding wears out or your mount loosens, it will suddenly go back to 3-4 MOA.

</div></div>

Things have changed for the better in this area...

Have you had any semi-auto's previously? I'm not very keen on them.

I have a custom AR10 coming because I have never owned one, we'll see how that goes.

I am almost repulsed by M1A's for accuracy work but i have no attachment to them. I know they can be made accurate but why would you want to even if you could? my .02

Simply not a fan. Had one in my room for fours years as a cadet and really hated it everytime we had parade drill...or when I had to "walk the area"...lol.

lol just shoot a crappier gun, like an SKS or AK, or anything with the work Chinese in front of it lol....

I have never had anything but a bolt action, and this is my first experience with a semi.

Its got a synthetic stock, and I have had nothing done to it.

This was done on literally the last beam of light in the day at 150 yards, open sights standing unsupported.

GetAttachmendtaspx.jpg

Here is the gun
GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

I just don't like the hole experience of shooting it, I mean its fun to blast through some American eagle 150 FMJ's but that's were the fun ends, I cant do target work with it like I really love to do with my 700, I don't like the feel of it and to be honest I just find myself going back to the 700.

I mean if I pay the 300 or whatever for a scope mount then cool, I may have a ton more fun with it, but I'm still gonna go back to my 700 because I can blow a can of that monster energy drink at 700 yards, were I cant do that with the M1A, because the rifle cant.

I know I am gonna have fun with a 1911, or a 300WM, so that's pretty much were my thinking has gotten me.....what do you think?

I also hate that a "cheep" box of blasting ammo costs more then my AMAX reloads.

honkey...sounds like you're past giving it time and you've answered your own question.

It's not what you expected/hoped it to be.

From a couple of the posts above by guys who seem to know....it's not ever going to be without a major spend...and even then it won't live with your 700

Worst of all - you don't enjoy owning/shooting it.

Based ona similar experience I had with an Mauser M03, seems like only one route to take......

Give the space in the safe to something else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never had anything but a bolt action, and this is my first experience with a semi.

Here is the gun
GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like a Chinese import... did you join CanadianGunNutz as I suggested earlier?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never had anything but a bolt action, and this is my first experience with a semi.

Here is the gun
GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like a Chinese import... did you join CanadianGunNutz as I suggested earlier? </div></div>I did just so I can sell it there, I'm not a fan of the group over there.

so im guessing these cant be imported? why is that? imported parts thingy? if i could, id buy one for the heck of it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so im guessing these cant be imported? why is that? </div></div>

Bush Sr. banned the importation of ChiCom firearms long ago and Clinton didn't help the situation.

lol, only in america can they let in millions of things that are supposed to be safe, but that end up being able to kill you (toys, jewelry, anything else) be imported from china, but the one thing thats made correctly, works perfectly as designed and that can just happen to kill you, they ban.

The M14/M1A is a platform that you either love or don't. I have never carried one as an issued weapon cuz I am no where near the age that I would have to be when they were the issued weapon and I'm not in a specialized MOS needing a 14. I did shoot them at a weapons clinic about 5 years ago and liked it.
I guess I've more or less been a "minute of man" vs MOA kind of guy. I'm content with knowing that I can hit a man sized target easily enough up to 600 yards. I guess the stopping power of the 308 is what led me to getting an M1A over a 5.56 AR.
The mods that I've done on mine make it nice knowing that I've done them. Its a pride thing now. Its probably my favorite rifle that I own so I'll continue to put money into feeding it. Plus my wife thinks its sexy, its got the CDI factor with my Sage EBR chassis.

Get a wood stock. The cheap plastic stocks made for the m14 feel like crap. A wood stocked rifle feels alot different. I know I don't like the feel of a plastic stock on a m14 and I have 5 of them in the house. I replaced all the plastic stocks with GI wood.

Donald