• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I don't understand.

Rarebreed93

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
I have reloaded several thousand 223 rounds for my AR15 about 15 years ago.
I'm trying to load rounds for my 308 Rem. PSS.
New Lupua brass, CCI benchrest primers,168 Amax moly bullets and 43gr of Varget powder.
RCBS fl dies
I have figured the seating depth from the lands w/dummy rounds using the Amax and 167HPBT Scenar.
For the Amax I have 2.969 diffence from lands to bolt face.
My problem is using a Sinclair bullet Comparator, I don't know how long the OAL will be using the comparator and keeping the bullet .010 off the lands.
When I measure a loaded Hormandy TAP round with the Amax bullet I get a reading of 2.131 thds. of course that does tell me about my lands.
I have seated the bullet now to 2.200 thds. and the neck is trying to push down towards the shoulder.
The neck has just started to push down while pressing in the bullet, not during the fl resizing.
This ain't right.
Thanks for the help.

Re: I don't understand.

If I understand the issue, you have your seating die screwed in to far.

Unscrew it all the way and remove the seater plug. Run the shell up into the press and leave the handle down, then screw the seating die in until it touches the case, then unscrew a couple turns.

Now put a bullet on top and push it up there again, screw your seater plug in until you get the seating depth you want.

Thanks, I had that wrong, die touchs the case.
I will change that, and that should take care of the shoulder/neck issue.
My other problem is the seating depth to achive the proper depth to stay .010 off the lands using the bullet comparator.

try taking a fired case,just barely kink the neck so that you have a little friction on the bullet,make sure that the case and all is the proper length.then insert the bullet tat you are wanting to figure out , just enough to secure it. remove the bolt from your rifle ,put your fired case with kinked neck and desired bullet in the bolt,then reinsert the bolt into the rifle and close the bolt. then gently open the bolt and remove the dummy round . it should have had enough tension on the desired bullet to allow it to be pushed back into the case while closing the bolt,but not so much that it lodged itself in the lands.this should give you the information you need to load .be careful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have reloaded several thousand 223 rounds for my AR15 about 15 years ago.
I'm trying to load rounds for my 308 Rem. PSS.
New Lupua brass, CCI benchrest primers,168 Amax moly bullets and 43gr of Varget powder.
RCBS fl dies
I have figured the seating depth from the lands w/dummy rounds using the Amax and 167HPBT Scenar.
For the Amax I have 2.969 diffence from lands to bolt face.
My problem is using a Sinclair bullet Comparator, I don't know how long the OAL will be using the comparator and keeping the bullet .010 off the lands.
When I measure a loaded Hormandy TAP round with the Amax bullet I get a reading of 2.131 thds. of course that does tell me about my lands.
I have seated the bullet now to 2.200 thds. and the neck is trying to push down towards the shoulder.
The neck has just started to push down while pressing in the bullet, not during the fl resizing.
This ain't right.
Thanks for the help. </div></div>

2.969" in a 308 Winnie case, even with a Rem M-700 and an AMAX seems quite a bit 'long' for me.

Using the dummy method, are you sure that you're inserting the bullet back into the case mouth, if that's how you're doing it, to the proper depth?

You might be snagging the bullet on the lands and when opening the bolt and extracting the cart, it's pulling the bullet back out a bit, giving you a long reading.

Chris

That gives me a diminsion of 2.266 to the bullet ogive & lands.
A preloaded Hormady w/ Amax is 2.120.
Do these measurement sound about right?
My bullet will be about to the bottom of the neck when loaded .010 off the lands.
Is that enough bullet in the neck?

These diminsions are the measurements that I got going down the barrel and measuring "lands vs bolt face"
Yes, I also thought they were long.
I've been shooting this 700 for about 15 years, maybe the lands are eroded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That gives me a diminsion of 2.266 to the bullet ogive & lands.
A preloaded Hormady w/ Amax is 2.120.
Do these measurement sound about right?
My bullet will be about to the bottom of the neck when loaded .010 off the lands.
Is that enough bullet in the neck? </div></div>

The oal should be longer than 2.800" I run 168gr SMKs at 2.807, and know that AMaxes can be loaded longer due to the shape.(IIRC about .040" longer than SMKs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These diminsions are the measurements that I got going down the barrel and measuring "lands vs bolt face"
Yes, I also thought they were long.
I've been shooting this 700 for about 15 years, maybe the lands are eroded? </div></div>

Could be. I'm shooting a Savage 10FP LE2b with now 3000 rds through the tube and I'm out at .030"-.048" farther, with the various boutique bullets that I (we) shoot, so throat errosion is there.

This being said, I'm nowhere near 2.96x" like you're seeing, so I'm guessing that you're mucking something up along the way, with your measurements.

I use the Hornady/Stony Point Modified case gage, FWIW.

Chris