• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I effin' hate Facebook but PRS makes me do it

EchoDeltaSierra

Slightly above average
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
Minnesota
So, as the title says, I'm pretty much over Facebook. The thing that keeps me from deleting my FB account is that news and schedules for most of the regional, state, and club PRS events are only found there.

I've watched and participated in this this site's evolution and I'd find myself wondering; how much effort would it take to set up a portion of this site to manage match schedules and news? I just thought I'd float this idea because there has to be a better way than FB.

I look forward to the lively discussion.

th-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea I have resisted one until recently. Have nothing but a few shooting friends and a blan photos. Never post anything but missing out on shoots sucks.

This world is almost forcing you into FB.

Reactions: TACC
There's not much that would need to be added to support such things on this site. Also, there's a pretty great audience, and @Lowlight was just bragging about hitting almost 7 Tb served in the past month so the systems seem quite able to scale.

Hosting something like that would be a novel idea and I am sure he has contemplated that. The downside, taking responsibility over that brings much asshattery. I absolutely despise Facebook - don't even have an account any longer (as of 5 years ago).

I'm not sure if this forum software could facilitate what would be needed. He'd probably have to end up with a subdomain running a different site perhaps.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Hi,

Well I don't think SH within itself is going to be putting the time in to manage match schedules and news.
BUT it already has provided the space and outlet (This very subforum for example) for the matches to post their schedules and news here but the match directors, series organizers, etc seem to prefer their FB stuff because it gives them complete control over any questions/comments as to here they have to endure the good, bad and ugly.

Sincerely,
Theis

I probably would have killed my FB account if not for matches and such. Too much info gets put out through FB almost exclusively to not have one at this point.

The morons on FB are bad enough, especially in the "long range" groups. But try running an ad for shooting bags and being told that you are trying to sell guns over, and over, and over. I hate FB with a passion but for a business it is a necessary evil now days . Here is my latest correspondence with them lol. This was after trying to run and ad for my bags and getting the same cut and paste reply 3 times saying that I was not allowed to sell guns, knives, etc, or brass knuckles(yes they said brass knuckles lol). After this reply they said I was selling "gun parts". I guess shooting bags are now gun parts. I can picture the pencil necked little twerp behind the computer feeling so powerful that he is making a difference by denying my ad that has an image of a gun in it. When he leaves the computer he probably goes and votes for someone who introduces laws that make murdering a freshly born baby perfectly fine. Friggin morons.

FBBS.jpg

I did not get a facebook until last year, and it was/is only for the purpose of learning about matches. I wish there was a website that listed all the PRS/NRL/Club matches in the United States all in one site. I dislike facebook, but it seems to be a necessity almost to shoot new matches.

I have never had a FB account, nor will I ever. If a vendor that I'm interested in only has his wares posted on FB, I will not go there and I will not buy their products, unless the information and ability to order is available somewhere else. I will not be squeezed or pressured into getting a FB account. I think it's pretty obvious that over time, FB will eliminate any/all ability for any account holder to represent anything 2A in a good light. For the most part, that has happened already.

Personally, I think for those of you that have FB acounts for the convenience of match information, products, etc., your days are numbered there. FB is probably vacuuming up every piece of your personal data that they can before throwing you into the river.

My wife has a FB account and I give her shit about it all the time. She comes up with all kinds of excuses......."I only have it to keep track of the kids", etc.....what a bunch of bullshit. FB is tracking you, getting every piece of personal information of yours they can and generally fucking you. I suspect that just like AMZN, they are in cahoots with .gov. Oh, and all of you that post pics of your iron here ? Ever give any thought to the repercussions of that ? I'm trying to be polite, but......are you nuts ?

facebook and amazon both have lucrative govt contracts. if you cant get off facebook because of one thing, then you dont really want off facebook. My wife, like threadcutters, is on it. She never post, but wants to be in everyones business. She also uses for the market place. I will gladly pay more to not use that crap. facebook is highly addictive to women because they are genetically prone to that stuff. and if it is 100s of thousands of people in prs and they cant find a way to find matches, or post matched without FB, we have bigger problems. Once people that are into something find out its not on FB, they will find where it is. There were very successful get togethers before FB, car shows, concerts, sports games, etc etc.

I would like to see the individual matches / match directors / series organizers develop their own websites and forums AND maintain them! Much like the Sniper's Hide we all enjoy, it would then be possible to gain all the information we need there. I think it's quite inconsiderate to expect that all their shooters and customers must be on FB. If they directed the info dissemination there...we will come and find it. The info would also be more convenient to find since it won't roll over chronologically.

I held on to my account as long as I could for this very reason but about 2 weeks ago, I deleted my shit. I just couldn't take the BS anymore. The lack of accountability for people's words erked me to no end. If they would ever see the people in person that they would say these things to, they would either be beaten to death or wouldnt say anything that resembled what they were soooooooo brave to say online. The latter is more likely what would occur. I'm glad I dumped it. 98% of my friends list were shooters or K9 training folks so those weren't the people that I am speaking of thank god.

Dont have FB. Won't get it. I'll find another method

Reactions: 308pirate
Im in the same boat as the OP. 99% of the shit I see on FB is shooting related, which is Ok. But if I were to be able to find match info without it, it'd probably be gone.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
I don't...won't...join FB. <snip> I won't compromise my position for the convenience of others.
Same here. I have the phone numbers of the people who put on the local matches here. If they get tired of me calling to confirm locations, dates and times then they can start using a service that is not an affront to people exercising their constitutional rights.

I do not have a FB as well and I also want to learn more about local matches in my area. Eastern NC. Can someone shoot me a line on this one.

I have never had a FB account, nor will I ever. If a vendor that I'm interested in only has his wares posted on FB, I will not go there and I will not buy their products, unless the information and ability to order is available somewhere else. I will not be squeezed or pressured into getting a FB account. I think it's pretty obvious that over time, FB will eliminate any/all ability for any account holder to represent anything 2A in a good light. For the most part, that has happened already.

Personally, I think for those of you that have FB acounts for the convenience of match information, products, etc., your days are numbered there. FB is probably vacuuming up every piece of your personal data that they can before throwing you into the river.

My wife has a FB account and I give her shit about it all the time. She comes up with all kinds of excuses......."I only have it to keep track of the kids", etc.....what a bunch of bullshit. FB is tracking you, getting every piece of personal information of yours they can and generally fucking you. I suspect that just like AMZN, they are in cahoots with .gov. Oh, and all of you that post pics of your iron here ? Ever give any thought to the repercussions of that ? I'm trying to be polite, but......are you nuts ?
I’m with you on just about all these points, except posting pictures. I post with not a worry that big brother is coming to get them. They know what you have already. A picture on a gun sight,(you think they think youre here for the motivational picture thread?) is not what’s going to make them pick you up.

I don’t disagree.......I’ve left a ten mile long electronic trail behind me over the years. I’m not in favor of posting pics because I (delusionally) think it makes it that much “easier” for “them”.......
But, it’s a “free” Country......for those that want to post pics, have at it, that’s your right. ;)

Reactions: Geno C.
Social media is the most toxic thing we humans have invented. I fall victim of it myself.

Sometimes it’s people being brave online.

Other times it’s just math. Your chances of running into an asshole you disagree with are infinitely more than when you only interacted with people you saw in person or over a phone call.

I almost never used FB before. Just kept up with HS classmates and such. Then I only used it to keep up with matches. Now I find myself posting and typically in some sort of argument once a month or more. And it’s usually over something stupid. I share the blame in that.

It’s very odd what social media does to use mentally. People will be studying its effects for decades to come.

I cut ties with FB a few weeks back. I was on it way too much and found myself with a lot of negative thoughts after reading the bullshit. Life is much better without. I found another 8 hours a week to apply positively

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Isn't practiscore creating some social media integration?

View attachment 7035174

Hopefully this will eliminate FB from the equation
I get all the USPSA and IDPA match info I need off Practiscore. I manage to find precision rifle shooting opportunities without FB just fine.

All of Facebook employees can choke on a cock and then suck start a shotgun for all I care.

The morons on FB are bad enough, especially in the "long range" groups. But try running an ad for shooting bags and being told that you are trying to sell guns over, and over, and over. I hate FB with a passion but for a business it is a necessary evil now days . Here is my latest correspondence with them lol. This was after trying to run and ad for my bags and getting the same cut and paste reply 3 times saying that I was not allowed to sell guns, knives, etc, or brass knuckles(yes they said brass knuckles lol). After this reply they said I was selling "gun parts". I guess shooting bags are now gun parts. I can picture the pencil necked little twerp behind the computer feeling so powerful that he is making a difference by denying my ad that has an image of a gun in it. When he leaves the computer he probably goes and votes for someone who introduces laws that make murdering a freshly born baby perfectly fine. Friggin morons.

View attachment 7020030

The irony of your picture is: to the right of your reply it talks about “bullying prevention”

Hahaha...the guy denying you is being a bully...you need to file a complaint with them...make sure to use their language like “safe space, you were triggered, etc” they will be forced to let you advertise.

Or you could just call your bags “micro aggression preventing devises” no problem there...they may even cut you a break on the rates. Plus we all know recoil is just your rifles micro aggression...

No Facebook for me...I didn’t do MySpace either...yuck