• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I finally did it !

Saito

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
1537 Paper St.
I bought an "aftermarket" action. Picked up a Big Horn SR2 LA. My first custom rifle build was completed late last year, and I shot the cup with it this yr. The R700 action on that one took lots of work to true up.

Anyhow, I won a 500$ gunsmithing gift cert off of a local match's prize table and justified my new action purchase by thinking, "it won't need trued up" and it has an integral recoil lug, its own rail, plus it's just damn sexy.

I plan to build a somewhat lightweight 7LRM. Also picked up an Obermeyer M24 profile 8.75 twist blank, which will finish at 26" and get fluted to cut poundage. My smithy makes his own brakes now, but it'll be threaded so I can put my Sandstorm on it as well.

The 7mm is totally new to me. Where should I look for dies for this thing? I'm partial to my Redding Comp bushing dies. Also, do I have to call Gunwerks to get brass for this ? I haven't seen the caliber discussed much here either(but I don't look in this section much). My decision to go with this caliber was based mostly on ballistics, but also on brass availability. Now I'm afraid I may not be able to find boolitz :-/ I'd love to shoot Berger 180s at 3100. I'm open to recommendations on bullets, guys.

Here's how I see it turning out over the next couple months.

Stock- Bell & Carlson off of my old XCR Tactical .300WM with a couple lefty flush cups

Barrel- 26" 8.75 twist 5R Obermeyer

Action- Big Horn SR2

Scope- MIL/MIL 2.5-10 NF

Rings- Badger Alloy .823 height

Probably cerakote the metal a greenish color to match the stock and do the flutes in black. I love the long, flat fluting on the XCR Tact and hope my smith can duplicate them.

I just had to share because I'm f'n stoked about this rifle coming together ! !

that'll be a dinger..I like it..when I put a magnum together, it'll be a 7. Sorry, I've got no advice, other than you can't go wrong with the redding dies or berger's, but you knew that.

denali 041.jpg

My build. Tac 300 action. Krieger 1 and 8. 7 Mag. I'm shooting a federal 215, Retumbo, nosler brass, And sierra matchking 180gr. Im getting .3-.5 MOA at 100 and ringing steel easy to 1200. Im just using RCBS dies right now. My redding Seater die just came in the mail from St.Clair. Ill be using it as my RCBS was throwing + - .004 inconsistencies.

You are probally going to have to get the dies and brass from gunwerks since they are the ones that really are making this caliber popular. They use all hornady also. Your best bet would be to call them and ask because they are all real good guys and willing to help out. Good luck and the reason I know this is because my next build is going to be this same 7lrm. Good luck and keep us updated on the build.

Nice purchase! What ya gonna do with a 7mmLRM, and what is it?

Like said above, it's a 375 Ruger necked down. I hadn't even heard of it until a couple months ago. I plan to shoot comps with it and possibly hunt with it. I'm really hoping it turns out kind of light. I lugged around a 19+lb rifle at the cup :-/

I forgot to add that I'm going to run a Badger M5 DBM. I should be able to run my .300WM AI mags. I hope to hear some experiences with this cartridge here !

Sounds like a barrelburner. What genre of comps would you might be shooting in with this 7LRM? I'd like to see a pic of your "Cup" rifle, please.

Sounds like a barrelburner. What genre of comps would you might be shooting in with this 7LRM? I'd like to see a pic of your "Cup" rifle, please.

Here's a pic of my .300WM.

Trued up 700 action. Rock 5R 1:10 26" AMU/MTU profile bbl. McM A5 w/ Badger M5. Badger 20 MOA base & NF tall rings. NXS 5.5-22x56. FTE brake or Gemtech Sandstorm. It's a fatty boob-a-latty. Pushing a moly'd 225grn Hornday HPBT at 2880fps with 7828SSC. I shot the cup with a 208 Amax.

I plan to shoot about any match I can enter with the 7LRM. The SH cup was my first rifle match(I'm mostly an IPSC guy) and I'll be shooting my 4th rifle match in October in Wall, SD.

I'm actually eyeing a new AI AX chassis, so this whole "lightweight" thought may just go by the wayside.

Attachments

• TSC .300.jpg
    TSC .300.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
That cup rifle weighs 19+ lbs.? My 6 Creed goes 16+ and has similar components, of course you can see them on my signature. Did you add weight to it? Lead?

Yup. 19lbs. Think I weighed it with the bipod and sling, no ammo. It's a tanker. The NF rings are steel. Badger base is too. Didn't add any lead that I know of :-/

That cup rifle weighs 19+ lbs.? My 6 Creed goes 16+ and has similar components, of course you can see them on my signature. Did you add weight to it? Lead?

does your 6 Creed have the .300 Mag MTU profile? I understand that is a little heavier than lighter calibers.

Yup. 19lbs. Think I weighed it with the bipod and sling, no ammo. It's a tanker. The NF rings are steel. Badger base is too. Didn't add any lead that I know of :-/
But you're gonna keep it once you get your 7 built...right?

Laughin...I didn't think you were. Just thought I gather some early intel.:) I could use magnum that shoots as well as yours.