• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I finally get to unvail my new JB Weaponry Savage!

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
Today I finally get my Savage 10 .308 back from JB Weaponry. That's not to say that I waited a long time, i'm just an impatient almost 30 year old kid who was without his rifle for <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> 3 weeks. Yes, it was the quick turn-around that John @ JB Weaponry has listed on his website ( http://www.jbweaponry.com )that turned me onto having him do the work to my rifle rather than other gunsmiths. I didn't want to be without my rifle for 16-20 weeks for the work I was having done, and after speaking to John on the phone for a little while after business hours I was happy that he knew about Savages, and didn't tell me right away to sell it, and buy a Rem 700 (like a certain local gunsmith implied). The list of what I had done was pretty long, needless to say, the only thing Savage left on the rifle is the bolt, and receiver. What I had done;

-B&C Medalist stock purchase
-Bed to stock
-Paint stock, and rifle
-JB Weaponry bolt knob
-Warne tactical base and rings
-Marine tex the stock
-Tac-ops stock pack
-McGowan stainless match barrel cut to 20" and recrowned
-Heavy Duty recoil lug

The rifle came out looking great, i'm super excited to head to the range this weekend. I was going to wait until I have a range report ready, but I just can't wait any longer. John sent the test targets (which were impressive), however I wanted to post my own targets rather than the targets of another shooter.

I want to give John at JB Weaponry a HUGE thank you for the fantastic job on my rifle, and the excellent communication through the process, and updates as the rifle came apart, and back together again. I can't wait to post my range report now!

Now for the good part....THE PICS!

Rifle_New1.jpg

Rifle_New2.jpg

Re: I finally get to unvail my new JB Weaponry Savage!

So far I like it, the palm swell on the stock is quite beefy which I like since I just went from a Choate USS to this stock, I like a thick grip on my rifles. I just got the rifle back today so I haven't been able to shoot it yet. However just handling it the texture takes a little getting used to I suppose.

Branden

Re: A new/old rifle for me

Very nice looking boomstick.They did a great job.
Let everyone know how she shoots after you return from the range.

That does look like some pretty aggressive texturing!! Would hate to have to shoot that without the stock pack! I had a real good experience with a Savage 10FP .308 20"!! They can definitely hold their own right out of the box, let alone dressed for the prom! Look forward to the range report! G/L!

have you run it through a crono? i am in the process of getting a 20" gun and was wondering what kind of veloscity to expect.

Re: I finally get to unvail my new JB Weaponry Savage!

Alrighty, just got back from the range a little while ago and got the targets all scanned in and what not. All I can say is that i'm a happy camper at this point. The rifle shot great. I, however, still have a little work to do, and more load development to do as well. There was a variable 5-6mph full value breeze blowing right to left so the groups are mostly off to the left side of the targets.

I know I can get these to tighten up a little more once I get some more trigger time, and probly even lighten the trigger up a little more. It's set just under 1lb (per John) whereas when I shipped him the rifle it was breaking at 4oz!

I did 2 different loads. All brass was fire formed to the new chamber, and all prep work done accordingly. I only did 3 shot groups as this was just a diagnostic run of various powder levels to see what kind of groups were attained. COL's were all identical, and I did NO weight sorting of brass or bullets. I do need to order a bullet runout gauge so I can start keeping an eye on that. The only varying factor's were the powder charges. One set was Federal GMM fired cases that John shipped me with the rifle loaded with Hornady 168gr BTHP Match's, IMR 4064 powder, and CCI primers (just picked up another 1000 of them today BTW). The second set of rounds were Lapua Fire formed cases, and Berger 175gr VLD's. Starting load for the 168's was 43.0gr in .3gr increments, and the Bergers I started at 42.5gr but they were loaded to the lands.

Again, I know these are 3 shot groups, please don't give me too much flak for them, as the load development goes on i'll get into the 5 shot groups.

I left the pics large so you can see them better, I didn't want to leave them tiny. I am VERY pleased with the rifle, and very thankful that John @ JB Weaponry has built me such a fine rifle.

3-14-09_load1.jpg

3-14-09_load2.jpg

The part I love is how consistent it was. Shot the same hot as it did cold. Before hand I never really got the consistency that I was wanting. Once I have my load down, I want to get a 10 bull target, and do 10-3shot groups and see if I can keep it at 1/2MOA or better for 10 rounds so I can say legitimately that my rifle shoots 1/2MOA "All day".

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you run it through a crono? i am in the process of getting a 20" gun and was wondering what kind of veloscity to expect. </div></div>

No, no chrony'ing just yet. I'm still doing load development, however after today it's coming along quickly. I believe i've got a load to develop further, and I have a buddy with a chrono that will let me borrow it, i'll post my findings.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That does look like some pretty aggressive texturing!! Would hate to have to shoot that without the stock pack! I had a real good experience with a Savage 10FP .308 20"!! They can definitely hold their own right out of the box, let alone dressed for the prom! Look forward to the range report! G/L! </div></div>

Luckily the textured portion is only that of the pistol grip area, it doesn't extend back onto the butt stock. It is aggressive, and if you hold the rifle the way that I do, you start to notice it, but it's great to have something with a lot of grip to hold onto.

Branden

Very nice rifle. Just wondering; how fast can you cycle that bolt with that new bolt knob? I have a SPS tactical in .223 and .308. I have youtube video of me doing some fast bolt cycling fun while I fire form my cases. Just do a search on youtube for "700 SPS tactical rapid fire fun". If you make a video of yours you can post it as a video response.

Mine isn't as easy as yours appears to be. I need to send off the bolt to have it worked, however SSS is the only ones I know of that do that type of work, and I don't want my rifle out of service for the amount of time it'll take for them to get to it. So I just kind of deal with it. I don't really do any rapid fire anyway.

Branden