• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I finally have my TRG done!

bryanZ06

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2010
Georgia
Last week I finally got the glass to put on my Sako TRG that I bought back around October. I went with a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56, CW mil adjustments, P4F reticle. I'm using the Sako muzzle brake, bipod, and three ring scope mount. I had plans to go shoot it this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to now.

23jhi6g.jpg

11vpszm.jpg

After getting some dryfire time behind the rifle I wanted to raise the cheekpiece to line me up with the scope better. With the factory spacer between $60-$70 and only coming in black or green, I decided to try my hand at making my own. I bought an acrylic cutting board from Wal-Mart, a longer bolt from Ace Hardware, and a can of spraypaint from Lowe's. $10 and a little bit of my labor later and I ended up with this:

5e71xi.jpg

The paint isn't a perfect match, but it's pretty close. I'll keep looking and if I find anything that will match a little better I'll put another coat of paint on it.

Thanks to Rob01 for some info on the S&B's, and Jay at Sport Optics for a great deal on the scope!

Re: I finally have my TRG done!

awesome setup and kudos on the cheek riser, very creative.
I have a TRG22 also so I know what i am talking about,

Nice looking Rig!!I like the enginueity of the riser,How she shoot??Goodshootin'

~Reagan

You put together a Good rifle set up.Congrats.What loads/ammo you plan on shooting thru it?

Thanks everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You put together a Good rifle set up.Congrats.What loads/ammo you plan on shooting thru it? </div></div>

Until I get set up to load for it I'm going to use FGMM and M118LR.

you are better off with the FGMM, the M118lr is not that good, the TRG deserve better ammo than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You put together a Good rifle set up.Congrats.What loads/ammo you plan on shooting thru it? </div></div>

Until I get set up to load for it I'm going to use FGMM and M118LR.</div></div>
Oh you're going to like the FGMM stuff ,every trg I've shot 168s it thru has impressed me .have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone!

Oh you're going to like the FGMM stuff ,every trg I've shot 168s it thru has impressed me .have fun. </div></div>

Good to hear. I've got 5 boxes of 168gr waiting to go through it.

BTW If anyone can suggest some rattle can paint for the spacer that will match the Sako DT a little bit better than what I have now, please let me know. Thanks.

That thing looks awesome I love the TRG's in that color. Hell, they all look good and I'll have one eventually once I have the funds. That cheek riser looks great and I wouldn't have even noticed it wasn't a factory piece unless you said something about it. Great set-up and happy shooting!

Looks great! Glad to have helped. That's a really nice looking rig. Bet it shoots as good as it looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forwardeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone!

Oh you're going to like the FGMM stuff ,every trg I've shot 168s it thru has impressed me .have fun. </div></div>

Good to hear. I've got 5 boxes of 168gr waiting to go through it.

BTW If anyone can suggest some rattle can paint for the spacer that will match the Sako DT a little bit better than what I have now, please let me know. Thanks. </div></div>

You know if it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd spend more time shooting. You did an awesome job on that spacer and looked like a factory spacer to me. As far as the colour goes, I didn't even notice it and looking at it now after you mentioned it, it still looks great.

Great set up, this is one of those "buy once, cry once" rifles. I got a wild hair and made a spacer last weekend for my TRG 22 out of oak, the green I got wasn't even close so it looks like I am gonna setle on black. Since your color is so close, you might also consider just painting the whole rifle again and everything will match.
Your'e gonna love shooting this thing, the two stage trigger is one of my favorite features.
Make sure you post some pictures, as I am sure they will be great groups.

SScott

OMG your a freakn Genius. I want a TRG 22 real bad and Only funds for One rifle as my wifes wanting to start having kids. I plan on running with the green and a 26" but love your stick just the same.

Now on the cutting board did you just drill a hole or cut a grove/hole so you can take it out with just loosening the cheak piece?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMG your a freakn Genius. I want a TRG 22 real bad and Only funds for One rifle as my wifes wanting to start having kids. I plan on running with the green and a 26" but love your stick just the same.

Now on the cutting board did you just drill a hole or cut a grove/hole so you can take it out with just loosening the cheak piece? </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words.

Three holes are in the spacer. The center is just big enough for the "collar" (for lack of a better term)that is on the nut that the bolt screws into. That allows it to tighten up all the way for a good fit. I believe that one is 1/4". The other two holes are 3/4" and they are to allow clearance for the two raised areas that catch on the bottom of the factory cheekpiece if you run it offset to the side.

Very nice! Great idea on the spacer system. My funds are slowly being set aside for a 26" as I type this. Great looking rig you have there and that optic is kick arse. Thanks for sharing the spacer idea.