• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

i finally understand

jehan60188

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
a few months ago, I got a 10/22, and a nikon scope

my first trip to the range, my scope had been so poorly mounted that I couldn't even get on paper after cranking the dial all the way to one side. After remedying that issue, I had to zero it in. Well, trying to zero in with your rifle supported by your shoulder and one sandbag isn't exactly my idea of a good time. So, 50 rounds later, the screws that kept my base intact came loose!
After ordering a tuffer buffer to reduce metal-on-metal contact, and thus reduce vibration, I waited, and waited (canadian mail ftl)
that **** buffer is the toughest thing to install! but i managed to fenagle it in over the course of 3 hours...

So a few days ago, I filled a bunch of ziplock bags (gallon and sandwich sized) with cat litter, and packed everything up.

Hit the range today, bright and early, and found a chair.
After zeroing in, I took a deep breath, and aimed for (what seemed like) forever.
I squeezed the trigger to just before the break-point, and then reacquired my target. I then squeezed juuuuust a bit more, and landed right where I wanted to. I pulled away from my scope with a big grin on my face, and stretched out a bit.
I finally understood why we shoot.

so anyways, I fiddled around for a couple of hours, and even manged to do this: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/162/sl732169.jpg

9 shots, 2 hits. 25 yards, 5x magnification, using remington 'golden bullet' or w/e.
yah, yah, nothing to write home about. but it's an accomplishment for me!

Re: i finally understand

Not to mention it's "cheap" fun (at least for the ammo).

Then you start thinking about match barrels and stock's and better optics, etc.

I love shooting my Savage. I just havent gotten to in a couple weeks. All the trigger time has been devoted to the long rifle.

Re: i finally understand

Good start. If you've got the factory trigger, the next thing you know you'll be doing a trigger job. AGI has a really good video on stoning the hammer and sear, makes a huge difference.
dl26c