• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I get a kick out of…

Pharmseller

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2021
Oregon
…reading threads about custom built rifles and customized rifles. Stock swaps, chassis, alterations, builds from the ground up, you name it, I enjoy it. I grew up with the “rifle as a tool” culture and it’s too deeply ingrained for me to ever join your ranks but it’s a hoot to see you guys get so much enjoyment out of your firearms.

It‘s like walking the docks at South Beach Marina in Newport, OR and looking at all the gorgeous boats.

Keep them coming!

P

…reading threads about custom built rifles and customized rifles. Stock swaps, chassis, alterations, builds from the ground up, you name it, I enjoy it. I grew up with the “rifle as a tool” culture and it’s too deeply ingrained for me to ever join your ranks but it’s a hoot to see you guys get so much enjoyment out of your firearms.

It‘s like walking the docks at South Beach Marina in Newport, OR and looking at all the gorgeous boats.

Keep them coming!

P
Once you take that first step to build your own (be that a bolt-action or small-frame/large-frame semi-auto, you will never look back)!!

For me, when I built my AR10 a couple years back, the challenge for me was just doing the job and having a rifle that fully functioned. I did have some challenges along the way (as most large-frame AR's have due to lack of standardization), but learning how to solve the problem made me (IMO) a better rifle OWNER, as I know as much about that rifle as I could possibly have, to this point.

When I decided to build a 300BO SBR, I had a good toolset of skills already and putting together that rifle was very simple and was extremely enjoyable to go from a drawer full of parts to a fully built rifle that works!!

Last edited:
Exactly, I started on pistols and took it over to bolt action and semi auto rifles.

Keep them coming!

P
Oh, stop it, you silly goose.

• Haha
Reactions: Genin
I take really good care of all my tools, I have a giant fancy tool box to keep them in. I make custom tools to make jobs go easier and more efficient. Why shouldn't my guns be any different?

I take really good care of all my tools, I have a giant fancy tool box to keep them in. I make custom tools to make jobs go easier and more efficient. Why shouldn't my guns be any different?
Have you ever made a custom tool then years later ask yourself, what the hell did I make that for? Have a drawer full, but started tagging them long before I retired. Still look at them and shake my head at times at how simple they were to cut all the time of the job they did.

Reactions: XP1K and Modoc
I would hazard a guess that much of SH`s readership that custom builds utilize components with names that 80-90% of the shooting public have never even heard of before! I know I hadn`t! Then again, I`m one of the unwashed masses that constitutes the poors!

Reactions: TACC

See, that’s part of what I’m talking about. The core function of a rifle (tool) is (to me) to propel a projectile with sufficient accuracy to strike the target where you want it.

Sure, you gotta be able the carry the dang thing, so weight is a factor, but most off the rack rifles are light enough. And my $499 Tikka shoots just as well (maybe better, really) than rifles costing thousands of dollars. So I question the easier and more efficient custom tool line of thought. Easier how? If easier because of weight, seriously? Hit the gym. More efficient how? What’s being measured that gets improved upon?

But if a guy wants a one of a kind simply because it’s his one of a kind, I get it.

P

as long as you're riding vs humping I agree. Oz = LB's = Pain if you're humping 100% for days on end. I'll take lite any day as you can always work closer.

I agree, but light isn’t sufficient for custom. My Tikka Superlite is like a wand. Plenty light enough and I don’t hunt with a sling. If my boots are on the ground (and I’m not a rider) she’s in my hands.

P

See, that’s part of what I’m talking about. The core function of a rifle (tool) is (to me) to propel a projectile with sufficient accuracy to strike the target where you want it.

Sure, you gotta be able the carry the dang thing, so weight is a factor, but most off the rack rifles are light enough. And my $499 Tikka shoots just as well (maybe better, really) than rifles costing thousands of dollars. So I question the easier and more efficient custom tool line of thought. Easier how? If easier because of weight, seriously? Hit the gym. More efficient how? What’s being measured that gets improved upon?

But if a guy wants a one of a kind simply because it’s his one of a kind, I get it.

P
well, considering tikkas are $900+ now brand new, and the availability of relatively affordable actions and components, there isn't as much of a cost difference as their used to be. Still going to spend a lot more on a custom rifle than on an off-the-shelf option, most likely, unless you're looking at Christensen, Springfield Waypoint, or similar, but they're still not as bad as they used to be in terms of price, especially when compared to what a "good" factory rifle costs now.